Mapex Black Panther Retrosonic!!!!

S

sticks4drums

Now this is the Black Panther kit I think I want. All Walnut baby! :) Coming out the first half of this year.

retrosonic.jpg

I've been looking forward to a new kit! This is it! Thank you, Sticks, this made my day.
This will match my Gretsch Renown in Dark Walnut finish, plus I love the sound of walnut.
Do you have any more info for us?

I've been looking forward to a new kit! This is it! Thank you, Sticks, this made my day.
This will match my Gretsch Renown in Dark Walnut finish, plus I love the sound of walnut.
Do you have any more info for us?
Not as of yet buddy. This came from Europe's site, to a member from another drum site, that is subscribed to Mapex's European electronic mail listing. There will be lots more in the near future I am sure. This was always slated to come out in the first half of this year. Stay tuned. :)

Not as of yet buddy. This came from Europe's site, to a member from another drum site, that is subscribed to Mapex's European electronic mail listing. There will be lots more in the near future I am sure. This was always slated to come out in the first half of this year. Stay tuned. :)

Oh, I live in Europe. Nice! :)
I had a Mapex before and would like to have one again.

Oh, I live in Europe. Nice! :)
I had a Mapex before and would like to have one again.
They are doing some pretty cool stuff right now with different kinds of woods and bearing edges.

Sweet. Bet they sound great.
The lugs are cool too. Nice like tubes, but a little "more", without being gaudy.

Good things ahead for Mapex (except for that M logo ;-) ).

Wow, that looks really really sweet. Has a nice vintage vibe I haven't seen in any other Mapex kit.

And I agree with stixnergard2, they should offer more bass drum depth sizes other than 18" and 20". I don't know any "retro" kit with 18" deep bass drums.

Anyway, looks really good and I'm sure it sounds fenomenal.

Thx for sharing!! cheers!

Wow, that looks really really sweet. Has a nice vintage vibe I haven't seen in any other Mapex kit.

And I agree with stixnergard2, they should offer more bass drum depth sizes other than 18" and 20". I don't know any "retro" kit with 18" deep bass drums.

Anyway, looks really good and I'm sure it sounds fenomenal.

Thx for sharing!! cheers!

We are a minority, Mapex went with an 18" deep kick on the Blaster and Velvetone offerings and Gretsch's new retro Brooklyn series isn't offering shallow kicks either. You need to buy custom ordered kits now to get shallow kicks. I ordered a Legacy kit with a 14"'deep kit, problem solved. I have passed on plenty of drum deals because I don't want to haul around deep kicks.

Last edited:
hmm interesting. i checked out the mapex site from other countries just out of curiosity (granted i don't speak any of those languages so i can't tell exactly) but it looks as if they have several new kits in the works, couple low end ones, new meridian and saturn configs, a new titanium black panther snare and a new pedal already slated for release in other countries.

We are a minority, Mapex went with an 18" deep kick on the Blaster and Velvetone offerings and Gretsch's new retro Brooklyn series isn't offering shallow kicks either. You need to buy custom ordered kits now to get shallow kicks.
If the choice is between an 18" and a 20", always take the 20". They're easier to cut to the desired depth because the lug holes are further apart. I had an 18" cut down to a 14" but it was *this* close.

If the drum has rerings, it gets a little more complicated....

The third in this series is now here, The Retrosonic! The shells are hand selected walnut beautifully
outfitted with the unique Retrosonic column lug, Sonic Saver hoops and select Walnut Burl veneer.
Available in one of the most simple and uniquely elegant set ups. Only 20 of these individual set
ups will be offered in the USA
Shell and Hardware Specifications
8.1mm Pure Walnut Shell, Walnut Burl, Chrome Hardware
Component Shell Pack
22" x 16" Bass Drum no mount, 12" x 08" Tom, 16" x 16" Floor Tom,
S1000 (for 12" Tom), Floor Tom Legs (x3)

The Blac k Panther Collection Appointments
• Isolated Mounting System
• Floating Spring Loaded Floor Tom Legs
• Single-Point-of-Contact Lugs
• 2.3mm Sonic Saver Hoops
• Remo Ambassador Suede Batter Drumheads
• Remo P3 Suede Batter Bass Drumheads

Availability will be middel of March 2012
Joe Hibbs
KHS America
Mapex USA, Inc

Article Credits: MapexUSA / CSM News Crew

Is that the best positive comment you could come up with. :( That lug is similar. The Mapex one is prettier. :) At least they came up with their own version. A small boutique shop would just order some from a catalogue.

Is that the best positive comment you could come up with. :( That lug is similar. The Mapex one is prettier. :) At least they came up with their own version. A small boutique shop would just order some from a catalogue.

Or put a lot of money down for tooling. I wonder which company does that?

That's probably the nicest-looking kit Mapex have put out. I'm sure it will sound great. The lugs are very classy.

Back