HELP!! The "are you ready" syndrome!

F

fusssion

All ...

I'd like to hear what issues you have in your band with the "are you ready syndrome" .....if you have it, ...if you don't ....what methods help it go away, etc, etc, etc....

The band I'm in is just for fun. We practice once per week, and play out every 4-6 weeks on average. Everyone has jobs and families, so it's just for fun, but we still want to be good of course and have good shows and a decent following.

Well, .... we wound up getting into an issue where we wanted to decrease our time between songs. But, eventually, ....(me being the drummer obviously) I feel it's MY RESPONSIBILITY to make sure we're ready to go before we start. Now, obviously this is when I START the song (which is common as you know) but still.

My theory is this, ...if I'm starting the song, ...I think it's my responsibility to make sure we're ready to go before starting, because if someone is NOT ready, ...it would be embarrassing for everyone. HOWEVER ........on the other side of that ....you want to DECREASE your "deadspace" between songs also.

We've had (friendly) discussions between the band on how to stop this, and I've always raised my hand as a 'guilty' party to "waiting" till we're ready. The guys always so,…JUST GO….and I say …well, OK ….so we rehearse more, and sure enough 2 songs down the road, ….I GO, and guess what ……someone wasn't ready!!!!! So you see, …it's very easy for this viscous circle to continue!

Well, we're back at it again …full circle, talking about the same issue. Now, I'm sure we'll get through it, and it'll all be good, and we'll find a nice happy medium so to speak, but in the meantime (sorry this is long, but) :

WHAT DO YOU DO ??

Should I just focus on MYSELF and TRUST that everyone else is ready??

What does YOUR band do …..

ANY and ALL input is gladly welcome! 

Seven P's.

Proper
Prior
Planning
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance.

It's basically a planning issue. Your practices for shows should involve transitions. Not that every song should have a tie-in to each other, but planning creative ways to end songs, or what to say in between, when to retune or change guitars, and how to get into the next song will surely came across in a much more prepared manner when everyone is on the same page. Even if it's to say "I'll click us in here". There is nothing like the awkward silence of wondering why the band looks lost on stage...

Seven P's.

Proper
Prior
Planning
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance.

It's basically a planning issue. Your practices for shows should involve transitions. Not that every song should have a tie-in to each other, but planning creative ways to end songs, or what to say in between, when to retune or change guitars, and how to get into the next song will surely came across in a much more prepared manner when everyone is on the same page. Even if it's to say "I'll click us in here". There is nothing like the awkward silence of wondering why the band looks lost on stage...

Thanks for the reply..........
We always do this ..... but ....it always seems that someone is NOT ready to go, and I'm the one who always NOTICES it .......and, my brain is not wired to GO when I know someone isnt' ready.....

i got tired of starting every song without knowing whether or not everyone is ready, so i let our lead guitarist do it now. i let him count us in too. he seems more than happy to do it, and i don't have to deal with complaints about starting the song too fast or too slow. i also don't have to worry about starting the song before people are ready, although sometimes he starts songs incorrectly, or before i'm ready. i try to always be ready so that's pretty rare. there are some songs that i have to start because there's a drum-only intro or whatever. for those songs, i let him give me a "go" signal before i start.

Wow! This is almost the exact situation that I experience every time my band plays a show. I'm always taking a look at the set list towards the end of each song to see what the next one is so that I'll be ready. When the song ends, any number of things are usually happening. The singer will start talking to the crowd, the bass player will be tuning, someone from the crowd is talking to the guitar player about God knows what and when it's time to start the next song, someone is always like what? What's the next song? Then guitarist who is starting the next song is standing there with a beer in his hand just chillin and looking back at the rest of us wondering why we're looking at him.
Obviously I haven't found a cure for this issue either. I plan to suggest that everyone at least know what the next song is right when the last one stops so they can be preparing while doing all of the other stuff that happens between songs.

Wow! This is almost the exact situation that I experience every time my band plays a show. I'm always taking a look at the set list towards the end of each song to see what the next one is so that I'll be ready. When the song ends, any number of things are usually happening. The singer will start talking to the crowd, the bass player will be tuning, someone from the crowd is talking to the guitar player about God knows what and when it's time to start the next song, someone is always like what? What's the next song? Then guitarist who is starting the next song is standing there with a beer in his hand just chillin and looking back at the rest of us wondering why we're looking at him.
Obviously I haven't found a cure for this issue either. I plan to suggest that everyone at least know what the next song is right when the last one stops so they can be preparing while doing all of the other stuff that happens between songs.

Thanks Fuz...
I must say , we're way beyond that type of thing however ....everyone has a set list and everyone knows what's coming because we DO PRACTICE it this way,...it's just not as easy and clear cut as it sounds......

Thanks Fuz...
I must say , we're way beyond that type of thing however ....everyone has a set list and everyone knows what's coming because we DO PRACTICE it this way,...it's just not as easy and clear cut as it sounds......

My description was a slightly exaggerated worst case scenario. Sometimes trying to keep the flow going during a gig can feel similar to herding cats.

My description was a slightly exaggerated worst case scenario. Sometimes trying to keep the flow going during a gig can feel similar to herding cats.

Understood.

Does anyone else experience this .....meaning, ....you know the band knows what's going on, but you do a final check quickly to make sure everyone is ready and find that someone ISN'T ....and ...you wait for them (obviously)

maybe just assume that everyone IS ready, except when someone notifies you when he/she is not ready.. just a quick concerned look towards you with a dont-start-face should be enough right?

maybe just assume that everyone IS ready, except when someone notifies you when he/she is not ready.. just a quick concerned look towards you with a dont-start-face should be enough right?

It SHOULD ......of course....and that's what was discussed last week at rehearsal.

Granted, no one is "mad" at anyone else, we're just trying to get better as a whole, so ....there's no harsh feelings, etc....

That's really what was said Fugazi, ...ASSUME everyone is ready...and we all agreed, ... 5 seconds of dead-air-no-sound is MAX ....after that, without a "face" or a "don't start" ....we're off!!

Rehearsal is tomorrow night ...should be interesting!

This is actually a great post that caught my attention.... My band has the same issue... and My lead singer/rhythm guitarist says lets go, and I look and bassist is busy flirting with hot chicks, my lead player seems to think that you should check tuning after every song, and as much as I agree that you should be in tune always, if its not out of tune most of the night I think it should be okay. That being said, I would rather him be in tune than out of tune. He uses a clip on tuner so I don't know maybe he should do it faster or something. But yes I do find myself checking with the whole band before counting off.... Great post thanks

This is actually a great post that caught my attention.... My band has the same issue... and My lead singer/rhythm guitarist says lets go, and I look and bassist is busy flirting with hot chicks, my lead player seems to think that you should check tuning after every song, and as much as I agree that you should be in tune always, if its not out of tune most of the night I think it should be okay. That being said, I would rather him be in tune than out of tune. He uses a clip on tuner so I don't know maybe he should do it faster or something. But yes I do find myself checking with the whole band before counting off.... Great post thanks

My band has told me NOT to do this, and just prepare YOURSELF for the start of the song. I understand it, but it's difficult for me at times to just "go" before taking a quick glance around. As I've said, ...even if it's discussed ....something happens and someone is "staring off into space" or doing a quick re-tune ....

The guitar player needs an assistant at least two guitars. That way he can switch guitars between every song and the roadie can tune them while he's playing.

Of course this is tongue in cheek, but being in tune is important :)

I agree that you should practice the set as if you are on stage, so everyone is conscious of minimizing dead space.

I also agree with you should assume everyone IS ready unless you're told specifically there is an issue.

And finally, don't be afraid to just count off the next song; if the guitarist doesn't come in for 8 bars, he doesn't have to be 100% ready at the start of the song, or if the song as a long guitar intro where the bassists doesn't start playing until 16 bars in, the bassist doesn't have to 100% ready at the start of the song.

I used to play with a singer who would just blab too much inbetween songs. So I just learned to just count off the next song and go, or else I'd just be sitting there forever.

Great thread,And a Major issue in my band,I have some less experienced folks,and some are not getting the big picture.When I first started with them they would take minutes between songs sometimes and it would drive me nucking futz.I explained it was killing us getting into the zone and therefore the flow.It has gotten better,but I can forget seguewaying a couple of songs and it is tough to get them to rehearse a set like it is a show.Sometimes it is an add clinic down there.The alliteration to herding cats is perfect in my bands case.Has anybody overcome this?If so how was it addressed?

Eye contact. Lead singer. 2 guitars. Bass. Myself. I make sure I get a nod, thumbs up, OK sign, a wink, a smile and the finger.....whatever. Takes less that 15 sec. Look left, look right, count to 4. BAM.​
I make sure everyone has a song/set list. For the current show.​
If someome breaks a string/needs to change a guitar/tune, they need to get my attention. Then I'll keep my foot on the brakes until the "problem" is solved. If it's gonna take any time at all, then the front man gets to "earn his pay". Keep the audience entertained.​
The more you practice/play live, the easier it gets. When you're with the same group of guys, you eventually "just know" each other. Like a "finely tuned" machine.​

Eye contact. Lead singer. 2 guitars. Bass. Myself. I make sure I get a nod, thumbs up, OK sign, a wink, a smile and the finger.....whatever. Takes less that 15 sec. Look left, look right, count to 4. BAM.​
I make sure everyone has a song/set list. For the current show.​
If someome breaks a string/needs to change a guitar/tune, they need to get my attention. Then I'll keep my foot on the brakes until the "problem" is solved. If it's gonna take any time at all, then the front man gets to "earn his pay". Keep the audience entertained.​
The more you practice/play live, the easier it gets. When you're with the same group of guys, you eventually "just know" each other. Like a "finely tuned" machine.​

Bingo! Bingo! Bingo! Bingo!

When you're on stage, it's less of "a group of people playing some songs they've rehearsed", but more of "a group of people entertaining an audience". Everyone SHOULD be on board with making sure that they can jump quickly from one song to another. If there's an issue on stage (tuning, changing guitars, picking up a fallen cymbal stand, etc...), SOMEbody on mic has got to be able to smooth it over with the crowd. There's only a few things worse in breaking up the momentum of a performance than the awkward pauses between songs...

I agree with the above 2 posts. Though at times I have had to 'speak louder than normal' to get peoples attention.

In the function band I am in I have sometimes made the set list out with set breaks in it I.e we will play the first 4 songs back to back no break in between, not a medley as such but once the songs finished a quick look around and a count in.

This helped the more ' shoe gazing' members get reeled in!

Maybe this would help

Dave

Once a band has started booking gigs, they should not be rehearsing single songs unless they are new songs working into the rotation. They should be rehearsing entire performances. This includes set lists, transitions, and who starts off the next tune.

In your case, I would just say, "Guys, when it takes us two minutes to go from song to song... EVERY song... we look unprofessional and it could lead to us NOT getting gigs". That will probably motivate your bandmates to cut the chitchat and get to work. And if it doesn't? Well, I don't know if their work ethic is going to support your obvious desire for excellence in the future...

Back