Dave Letterman's Drum Solo Week

I dunno, last time I saw Cobham live (and this a few years ago now) he uh, well, yeah....

Might have been an off day. It happens.

Just youtube some of his live drum solos that are recent (2007-2010) and you'll see what Im saying...

This week was mediocre at best and extremely disappointing.

Should've been...

1. Billy Cobham
2. Thomas Pridgen
3. Jojo Mayer
4. Stewart Copland

Now THAT would have been a week!

Nice list but...
You do know Copeland doesn't like solos...can't do them...won't do them.

Yes, I know about stewart. However, have you seen any footage of him on modern drummer festival? He killed. All I am saying is he would be More interesting to watch.

If anyone who is good enough to be a headliner on M.D. Fest, then they are good enough for Letterman. IMHO

Also, some other note-worthy drummers that would have been "better" than this week's...

Thomas Lang
Benny Greb
Steve Smith
Ronald Bruner Jr
Mike Mangini
Aaron Spears
Chad Smith
Mike Johnston

Heck, I would rather watch somebody like Steve Jordan Groove for 5 Minutes than Neil...Sad part is I'm not even kidding.

Last edited:
Neil's cymbals, groan. Ride was awful, the crashes sound thin and cheap, bodiless. Not a fan of the Paragons at all. Here's that old explosiveness that I miss:
http://theparadiddler.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/asoh_highlight.mp3

Chiming in on the "Who I think should have gotten the call" topic, I think the most creative voices on the drum set today belong to:

<drum roll please, should be easy to find one amongst you people>

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/pish!

• Vinnie C
  • Omar Hakim
  • Manu Katche

Neil's cymbals, groan. Ride was awful, the crashes sound thin and cheap, bodiless. Not a fan of the Paragons at all. Here's that old explosiveness that I miss:
Can't get that link Spreggy, any chance of a YT link? I love Neil's early work.

As for Paragon's, I had a pair of hats, & they were pretty nice, if not a bit crisp on recordings. Didn't like the rest of the range though. Are those all Paragons on his kit? Got to agree, that ride was a "clanger", & the crashes lacked flavour & body. TV mix & broadcast compression won't have helped though.

Neil's Ride sounded like a Friggen' Gong. Hideously Horrendous.

His solo was a 2.5 out of a possible 10 if you ask me. Weak

Chiming in on the "Who I think should have gotten the call" topic, I think the most creative voices on the drum set today belong to:

<drum roll please, should be easy to find one amongst you people>

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/pish!

• Vinnie C
  • Omar Hakim
  • Manu Katche

I agree the ride cymbal was just awful....I mentioned that earlier in the thread as well....

and what the hell...ill chime in on who id like to see if this happens again....

Jeff Tain Watts
Kirk Covington
JP Gaster
Eric Moore
Danny Carey
Abe Laboriel Jr.
Steve Smith

Let's see... Sheila E is 53, which I'm pretty sure makes her the youngest one who appeared on the show. They couldn't come up with newer blood than that? She was the most energetic one of them too. I think I liked her solo best.

Anyway, I like the idea of Thomas Pridgen, or Aaron Spears, Jojo Meyer, Dave DiCenso, Dave Weckl... really there's a ton of drummers who are very capable and entertaining soloists that could have done better than any who were there this week. But alas, none of them have any star power approaching what Buddy had, so maybe who they picked was as close as you could get.

IMO, when Neil was trying to whittle down his solo to fit the network time allotment, first thing he should've done was ditch the electronics and the play-along jazz bit. He got his biggest applause (coerced or not) when he was just smacking cymbals, doing the crossover bit between his snare and floor tom (which he's been doing since All The World's A Stage), and the little jazzy hi hat thing. Some more banging around on realy drums probably would've gone over much better.

Alex and Geddy ditched most of their electronics because they eventually realized that it gets sterile fast. Neil should do the same.

I am actually glad that Peart played this solo.

Now, when a fellow drummer (and / or N.P. fan boy) watches this performance and STILL thinks it was awesome, his drumming taste automatically hold zero relevance.

It would be a good test to do on a fellow drummer.

Drummer A: Hey johnny, nice to meet you. I heard you play drums...

Drummer B: Yes, Yes I do.

Drummer A: Cool. What do you think about this video? (shows N.P. Solo on Letterman)

Drummer B: Wow, so Awesome man. He was like, soo fast. I wish I could do that.

Drummer A: I don't think we can be friends...

It would be a good test to do on a fellow drummer.

Drummer A: Hey johnny, nice to meet you. I heard you play drums...

Drummer B: Yes, Yes I do.

Drummer A: Cool. What do you think about this video? (shows N.P. Solo on Letterman)

Drummer B: Wow, so Awesome man. He was like, soo fast. I wish I could do that.

Drummer A: I don't think we can be friends...

I actually giggled when I read that. I feel terrible about it, but I did.

I'd like to see Brian Blade if they ever do it again.

Now with the internet, dvds, & the bar being raised with technical virtuosos such as Lang/Virgil, oversaturation of videos on youtube, his playing is not looked upon with the same level of respect it once was.

You don't have to like him but please eveyone respect the man's influence on generations of drummers!
Well said.

I don't know, I could add to the list of drummers I'd like to see doing a solo on the show too,
well, why not:

-second Vinnie C
-second Benny Greb
-Virgil Donati (not too everyday-audience friendly though)
-Cindy Blackman (one energetic woman)
-Gary Novak
-Mike Mangini??

On the other side, everyone of us will have an opinion, and a personal list, but what's the
point. I don't think Letterman thought those were the best drum soloists there are anyway,
I guess.

Last edited:
Now with the internet, dvds, & the bar being raised with technical virtuosos such as Lang/Virgil, oversaturation of videos on youtube, his playing is not looked upon with the same level of respect it once was.

You don't have to like him but please eveyone respect the man's influence on generations of drummers!

^ This.

By the way, concerning all the criticism: I know those are all very seasoned players, but still
this is a very high-pressure situation, and they deserve a ton of respect just for sitting their
on their own and doing their thing like they do it. I mean it's not a pub-gig or a venue with a
few hundred people, it's a high profile television solo gig! That's not an excuse, but it's
something that's easily forgotten.

That's a reason I'm very impressed everything I see i.e. the famous Buddy Rich memorial
videos with Weckl, Colaiuta and Gadd: Their performances may be criticized in any possible
ways, but they showed up, sat down and each of them just nailed it big time! Again, in
a very high pressure and high profile situation. In the practice room (and in the imagination)
a lot of stuff is pretty easy, but try get on a stage like that and own it like they do!

For those talking about what the audience was applauding at, I don't think that was necessarily about what the drummers were playing at those moments; it was likely just that the audience perceived some kind of "break in the action" and felt it was the right place to applaud.

People are getting pretty fired up up over watching 4 drummers play solos on a late-night talk show. I just enjoyed the show and took some fun from it. Some of you mother******* are as serious as a funeral about this s***.

Did you see the article (the Evil) DED linked to earlier? NP said that he had to re-jig the solo to fit into the time slot. Personally I would have preferred it if Bill played lol

:)

I-see-what-you-did-there_trollcat.jpg

All in all, I don't think drummers were well represented there. A different cast of characters could have made that a real memorable event and really get people to sit up and take notice, like when Buddy did this.. Technically, it was just so so, Sheila gets the nod there, musically, it was lacking all around save for Roy. Anton did have a plan but I wasn't digging it.

It could have been much better. Matt Smith, Jimmy K and Lutz would have been much more engaging.

Drumming aside, can they not build him a riser that doesn't shake his entire set when he plays. Every video I have seen of him, regardless of drum set, they shake like crazy. For all of that money mine would be rock solid.

Opinions are like rear ends in that everybody has one.

But apparently on this forum....opinions mean nothing to some posters on here.

I guess I have a lot to learn as a drummer in that I don't "get" into Neil Peart. Never have and at the age of almost 59....I most likely never will.

But at least I sleep well at night. And for what it's worth, I enjoyed Neil's solo for the most part.

Back