I want to see the drummer, not the band

Kaiser

I love Steve Gadd. Where I live the only chance I would get to see him are when he plays with big concert acts like Paul Simon or Eric Clapton. He is playing with Clapton in May. I am not a huge fan of Clapton but just want to see Steve Gadd play in the flesh.
Has anyone gone to a gig just to see the drummer when they had no real interest in the rest of the band or is it just me?

I do it all the time....Go for the drum lesson. Gadd's great...You'll be surprise at how quiet he plays. Denis

I had the pleasure of seeing Gadd play in my hometown for a tiny little hole in the wall benefit show. I can't recall who he was with but I believe it was a Father/Son duo on Grand Piano and Upright Bass. He also played with his left side facing the crowd, so I moved to the side to see directly behind him. It was fantastic. It was by far the best view of drums i've ever had at a show...and it was STEVE GADD nonetheless!

edit: To answer the original post, I bought Tickets to see Dream Theater play on their most recent tour. Not really interested in the band, but I really wanted to see Portnoy play live.

( The real reason I went was because Opeth was main support on that tour, but we won't tell anybody that!)

Last edited:
Even when I have liked the band my main focus has always been the drummer that was the only reason I was going to the live performance was to see the DRUM MAKER!!!! the heck with the rest of the crew

Most shows I go to I primarily watch the drummer anyway. We all know the drummer does more than the other band members anyway, hahaha. You may not get the chance again so I don't why you shouldn't go and who knows, Clapton may put on a really great show and you might leave a bigger fan then when you came.

Thanks for the replies guys, I took the plunge a bought a pair of seats 13 rows from the front, so I should be able to see Mr. Gadd from there!

I saw that DT tour at the Universal Amphitheater in California. I just don't get the Opeth growling vocals. I guess I'm just to old.

DT was great as always.

There have been a few gigs I was in a bad position to see the drummer, and was highly disappointed. My last concert was Tower of Power, and I was all of maybe 30 feet, right in front of Dave Garabaldi. TOP/Dave blew the roof off!!!!

Incidentally, with someone like Nicko McBrain, I don't think you could sit anywhere (except a balcony) and see him behind all his stuff.

I saw that DT tour at the Universal Amphitheater in California. I just don't get the Opeth growling vocals. I guess I'm just to old.

DT was great as always.

Opeth's cookie-monster prog is lost on me as well.

I love Steve Gadd. Where I live the only chance I would get to see him are when he plays with big concert acts like Paul Simon or Eric Clapton. He is playing with Clapton in May. I am not a huge fan of Clapton but just want to see Steve Gadd play in the flesh.
Has anyone gone to a gig just to see the drummer when they had no real interest in the rest of the band or is it just me?

a few nights ago I went to see the Mike Stern Band mainly because one of my faves, the mighty Dennis Chambers, was on drums. I like Stern but I was clearly there for DC and it was in a small club to boot. Got my photo taken with DC after the show.
I've gone to see Vital Information mainly to see Steve Smith, I saw Buddy Rich's Big Band definitely to see The Master, same for Louis Bellson, there are others I can't recall right now.
Having said that there were times when I went exclusively for the guitarist, like Gary Moore and Robben Ford. Probably not that uncommon.

Almost every concert I go to is for the drummer in some regard...but I almost always find myself enjoying the music no matter who it is. A lot of the local jazz drummers I see on a regular basis with varying artists and those are always very impressive...there is so much talent in this world that only a few people will ever see.

I think you're just being a bit too self conscious. It is perfectly all right.

I saw the Dave Matthews Band in 2004, and I must say I was honored to see Carter Beauford. Also, now that LeRoi has passed on (RIP LeRoi Moore), I am glad I forked over $50 (a lot for a 15 year old) to see DMB. I can now say I've seen LeRoi Moore in person!

Does a fan of Michael Jackson (not the team) go to a Bulls game to see the team? no. He goes to see the big #23!

Does a fan of Michael Jackson (not the team) go to a Bulls game to see the team? no. He goes to see the big #23!

You'll need to go to Dubai to see Michael Jackson, and you still might not, if he happens to be wearing a shroud on that day.
I think you meant Michael Jordan.

You'll need to go to Dubai to see Michael Jackson, and you still might not, if he happens to be wearing a shroud on that day.

lol, I wondered about that myself! Would he be allowed play with one glove?

Incidentally, with someone like Nicko McBrain, I don't think you could sit anywhere (except a balcony) and see him behind all his stuff.

Actually, I saw Nicko when he was still see-able, drumming for Pat Travers. Santa Monica Civic - 1976(?) or thereabouts. Certainly, for me, some shows, I go to see the drummer. Some shows, I go to see the band. Some shows, I go to see the audience. It's a big world out there.

Ya, that was funny. I love Dubai, I have been there 3 times.

And yes, I always watch the drummer more than anyone else. Unless I'm in the Stevie Wonder section.

I have always wanted to make a Documentary called, "Tubs," where I could go to a concert and film just the drummer. Maybe one or two songs each, or edit parts together, to show what they are worth playing live with their own bands. Maybe 2 or 3 hours of just the video of the drummers. Anything taped now you get to see 5 seconds of each player over and over with no continuity. Ah for some money and some time.

I have always wanted to make a Documentary called, "Tubs," where I could go to a concert and film just the drummer. Maybe one or two songs each, or edit parts together, to show what they are worth playing live with their own bands. Maybe 2 or 3 hours of just the video of the drummers. Anything taped now you get to see 5 seconds of each player over and over with no continuity. Ah for some money and some time.

I have always thought the same G.D. A video of many different drummers of many different genres in thier element to show thier exact importance and worth in a band. Maybe even a brief optional over-laying commentary on what strong points each drummer has and influence they have had within the drumming community and the music world.

OOPS!!!! I meant Michael JORDAN...It was nearly 11PM. Sorry, guys. I guess I shouldn't post late at night.

Years ago I saw Kansas. I was in the front row in a very small theater in Orange County CA. It was "in the round: Phil was set up so that when the stage would rotate I was sitting no more then 10' directly behind him. It was an amazing experiance.

Back