Your Stereo's

I have a Sony 7.1 Surround sound system with 6 speakers, no middle rear yet. But for playing I use either my iPod, my iPhone, or my XM radio and wireless headphones.

I have 2 stereo's and a sound reinforcement system

1: Classic klipsch forte II, 15" dayton titanic sub and surrounds (5.1) blue-ray
2: Klipsch KG 4, 12 dayton titanic sub

I don't do the "high end" hifi snob stuff, been there and done that. zzzzz.

The klipsch sound more like real drums than some 20K speakers I have listened to.

I prefer many classic speakers.

Magnepan, ribbon infinity, some JBL, Vandersteen and a host of others, none of which need be $20K a pair.

OK here's mine

Wayne

Wilson. Markup from dealer to consumer: $10,000. Ouch. I can't tell by looking, are they newer than version 5.1?

Nice stuff if you have money to burn.

Get that stuff at "house of music?" or in Berkeley?

Wilson. Markup from dealer to consumer: $10,000. Ouch.

Nice stuff if you have money to burn.

Get that stuff at "house of music?" or in Berkeley?

Got most of it used, incuding the speakers and amps., no dealer markup. These speakers, with a sub crossed over at 40Hz sound more like real drums to me than any other practically sized speaker that I've heard.

Wayne

Got it all used, no dealer markup. These speakers, with a sub crossed over at 40Hz sound more like real drums to me than any other practically sized speaker that I've heard.

Wayne

For those that have not heard them:
The 5.1 and older used a focal tioxid tweeter that resonated within it's own FR. (right about 21-22khz) Always sounded brittle and bright to me. That hard, tioxid sound. Too painful for me to listen to. The newer use beryllium, which smooths that out. I prefer VMPS ribbons to Wilson, the neo version like the RM40.
vmps-rm40-sm.jpg

Last edited:
for me right now it is nadc320 integrated amp and a pair of transmission line speakers from nibbana audio. 6" midbase driver and a 1" aluminium dome tweeter. quite frankly, the base goes so deep and sweet and for now i am happy with it all.
i custom made these speakers. box calculations for the transmission line, the crossover, everything. i kinda own nibbana audio. will post pics of it all on another thread.

Re: Your Stereos

I have a nice stereo but I think the home stereo is going the way of CD and will be obsolete in a few years. Kids nowadays are used to hearing all music on their computer or mp3 players, or maybe a clock radio.

Just because you listen to stuff on your computer doesn't mean it can't sound good. I have my hifi plugged into my computer. My old drum teacher said that he had a hifi with some speakers built by druids or something.

Most of what I have is what's left of my mid-80's stereo-cum-home studio:
B&W DM-14 speakers
Carver M-400 amp
Yamaha RM804 mixer

Playback equipment:
No-name DVD player
iPod nano
iBook 12"

It seems to me that most drummers care more about good stereo's than other musicians. I saw some Magnepans in the basement in a recent thread.
Let's see some pics and details of your Hi-Fi systems:

Haha, that would be me.

MG II b's. LOVE 'em.

Attachments

• IMG_0057.JPG
    IMG_0057.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 2,244
Its a real shame that the cd is going downhill because of these digital, overly compressed formats. Once you learn to listen closely you can really notice how all these expensive instruments, fancy studio equipment and sound engineering is squished into a tiny format into tiny headphones... Quite sad..

Hopefully oneday these portable player will get to the size where .wav files can be put on en masse, giving a better sound.

Its a real shame that the cd is going downhill because of these digital, overly compressed formats. Once you learn to listen closely you can really notice how all these expensive instruments, fancy studio equipment and sound engineering is squished into a tiny format into tiny headphones... Quite sad..

Hopefully oneday these portable player will get to the size where .wav files can be put on en masse, giving a better sound.

That's not really the problem. Because MP3 is intended as a download format it's really the internet that needs to shape up as well as capacities of both hard disks and portable music devices. There's this format called flac though which is supposed to be uncompressed and a small filesize. I don't know whether it's any good because i don't need a small filesize but i know that you can get flac compatible mp3 players nowadays as well as artists who are offering downloads in flac format.

nothing special..

B&W 603's in the front 602's for the rears and a cc6 center

Integra receiver and DVD player

and a 46" samsung lcd

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Back