Yamaha Drums

Regarding Yamaha discontinuing their lines:

I’ll step in here and enter the discussion.

We are at the beginning of an exciting time at Yamaha Drums, and there are a lot of fantastic things coming. Many of you have seen our Live Custom Series, which was launched at Winter NAMM and received rave reviews by dealers, artists, and press. It is the first drumset out of our Yamaha-owned factory in Xiaoshan, China. And this is just the start.

It’s important to remember that all of the techniques and processes that have made Yamaha one of the most respected names in drums were, in fact, created by Yamaha. The transition to our new state-of-the-art factory has allowed us to update and improve these processes and tools utilized by the craftsmen to build our drums. Also important to note is that the Xiaoshan factory was built from the ground up as a Yamaha factory and is ISO 14001 certified. Yamaha has been building pianos and wind/brass instruments in that facility for years; as a result, each craftsman is very familiar with our high standards and expectations, being trained not only in how but why we do things the way we do.

Ultimately, Yamaha drums will be better, while becoming more affordable: not by downgrading the quality of the materials, but by making the processes more efficient and still crafting some of the world’s best-sounding drums.

Actually, the original Oaks were made with Chinese Oak. When the badge changed to silver, that's when the Japanese Oak was used, so we returned to the original wood source. You have to remember, just because a tree grows in China instead of Japan, that doesn't make it an inferior tree.

We appreciate your loyalty and believe me, the new factory is an amazing facility and will allow us to improve on our already amazing drums. For all the Yamaha fans out there, it's going to be great.

Wow, pretty big news--especially the bold move to discontinue the Recording Customs!

Maple Custom and Recording Custom were two of the best kits of the past couple of decades. Still surprising that Yamaha would nix the RCs--that kit practically made their name in the drum industry.

Weren't the original Maple Customs discontinued a long time a go. And there are plenty RC's sold over the last 35-40 years to have a flowering market long after this new heading.

I think the PHX will also be made in China just as the Live Custom line since Sakae Rhythm is using the Osaka plant solely soon.

And isn't one of the best entry lines the Stage Custom made in Indonesia and continues to be made there?

Sometimes its good to go out with the old and in with the new.

Lets see how things evolve ;)

Yes, but I don't think Yamaha knows how to hang on to what works--i.e., the MCs and RCs. No one really cares about the PHX kits, honestly: they are way overpriced (drums for the Mitt Romney crowd) and really not that impressive to justify that kind of price tag. And I suppose they are making this move to China because they are losing mega business to the likes of Mapex Saturn kits. If a Saturn kit can sound just as good, why pay $1200 more for an Absolute kit?

Also, not an environmentally sound move: China is the death land of environmental waste--their smog is visible from space! People can save manufacturing cost and wage cost by moving there, but they are now joining in a reckless use of industry that has been proven to harm the environment.

Weren't the original Maple Customs discontinued a long time a go. And there are plenty RC's sold over the last 35-40 years to have a flowering market long after this new heading.

I think the PHX will also be made in China just as the Live Custom line since Sakae Rhythm is using the Osaka plant solely soon.

And isn't one of the best entry lines the Stage Custom made in Indonesia and continues to be made there?

Sometimes its good to go out with the old and in with the new.

Lets see how things evolve ;)

So Yamaha doesn't just dip their toe into the Made in China ocean, they do a cannon ball. Cheaper labor. Good or bad or in between it's exploitation of cheaper labor and more lax environmental regulations. Leaving discussion of quality out... Well, Japanese made Yamaha's have just increased in value and will probably continue for years to come.

So Yamaha doesn't just dip their toe into the Made in China ocean, they do a cannon ball. Cheaper labor. Good or bad or in between it's exploitation of cheaper labor and more lax environmental regulations. Leaving discussion of quality out... Well, Japanese made Yamaha's have just increased in value and will probably continue for years to come.

Yamaha never made their high end kits anyways. Sakae did. There has been disclsure about this in another thread already. Sakae is venturing out on their own under their own brand as demonstrated by their kits featured at NAMM. Yamaha built a new factory in China for this purpose.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105720

Yamaha never made their high end kits anyways. Sakae did. There has been disclsure about this in another thread already. Sakae is venturing out on their own under their own brand as demonstrated by their kits featured at NAMM. Yamaha built a new factory in China for this purpose.

Well the highest-end Yamaha kit, the PHX, they don't let Sakae get near it. Also, I don't think that is exactly correct with regard to any Yamaha drum line.. Sakae was hired to build shells and follow Yamaha protocol as far as I know.., and continued the PARTNERSHIP for decades.

From Yamaha : Many drummers who are familiar with Yamaha today believe that Sakae Rhythm was the original Yamaha production, but in fact production was started at Yamaha's own factories. Another common misconception is that our Air Seal System was developed at Sakae Rhythm, but it was actually developed and introduced right from the first models that were produced at our own factories. One of the earliest Yamaha drum brochures shows the original Yamaha production facility and describes Air Seal System technology, a Yamaha innovation that is a vital part of our identity as a drum manufacturer to this day.

I'm shocked that Yamaha is discontinuing all of these lines at once. I've been playing and following their products forever, so I'm saddened about it as well. I guess they don't want to migrate production of existing lines to the new factory.

So what are they going to be replacing these with, besides the new Oak Live?

I'm shocked that Yamaha is discontinuing all of these lines at once. I've been playing and following their products forever, so I'm saddened about it as well. I guess they don't want to migrate production of existing lines to the new factory.

So what are they going to be replacing these with, besides the new Oak Live?

Musikmesse starts next week. Maybe they'll make some announcements there. I haven't heard anything on it yet.

They've got to announce something, because all they've got left now are Gigmaker, Stage Custom, and PHX - LOL

Musikmesse starts next week. Maybe they'll make some announcements there. I haven't heard anything on it yet.

It will be very interesting to see what they come up with. I'm sure they need to compete with every other manufacturer's beginner, intermediate and cheaper pro kits, but they've just slashed all of their pro lines but the PHX. This is a huge move on their part and a huge risk if you ask me. These products have defined Yamaha Drums for years and have lent continuity to the business. But, profit is the bottom line; business is business.

Wow, so I just got my Absolute Custom Birch. Good news still from Japan, but bad news: does this mean I can;t order any other toms later on? If I had known this before purchase, I may have decided to go with another manufacturer. I say maybe....

Wow, so I just got my Absolute Custom Birch. Good news still from Japan, but bad news: does this mean I can;t order any other toms later on? If I had known this before purchase, I may have decided to go with another manufacturer. I say maybe....

According to the info in post 1312 'The FINAL date for ordering these drums is June 28th 2013. There will be no exceptions after that.' So unless there is something in stock in the warehouse that matches your kit after that date, June 28 is the last day you can order anything (if this info is correct).

Congrats on the new kit. How 'bout some pics and specs?

Thankx. I will post once I pick it up. Maybe by next weekend. Amazing that it took 4 months, since color selection in distribution center was limited. But the kit is:

black sparkle
bass: 20 x 18
snare: 14 x 6
toms: 10 x 8, 12 x 9
floor tom: 14 x 13

I guess this is with any manufacturer. They can decide at any time to discontinue product or color. Happened with my Sonor kit. Sonor discontinued the color after i purchased the kit, a few months later they discontinued the color. So I ordered (took another 3 months) an additional 8" tom, just to have in event I sell the kit, it's pretty complete.

Thankx. I will post once I pick it up. Maybe by next weekend. Amazing that it took 4 months, since color selection in distribution center was limited. But the kit is:

black sparkle
bass: 20 x 18
snare: 14 x 6
toms: 10 x 8, 12 x 9
floor tom: 14 x 13

I guess this is with any manufacturer. They can decide at any time to discontinue product or color. Happened with my Sonor kit. Sonor discontinued the color after i purchased the kit, a few months later they discontinued the color. So I ordered (took another 3 months) an additional 8" tom, just to have in event I sell the kit, it's pretty complete.

Great choice of finish and sizes. Black Sparkle just pops under any lighting. Its truly one of those 'pics don't do it justice' finishes. You will love them.

thankx for the input. The other sparkles were just to glittery for me. The vintage black I just didn;t want to take the chance on. Looks to brownish. Even the raven black on the Stage Custom, drummers got it and has a green tint, or purple tint, etc. I would have preferred it to be a translucent black to see the finish, but black.

Here's the kit. Sound really nice.

Attachments

• my_yamaha_birch_1_resized.jpg
    my_yamaha_birch_1_resized.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 1,912
  • my_yamaha_birch_2_resized.jpg
    my_yamaha_birch_2_resized.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 1,802
  • my_yamaha_birch_3_resized.jpg
    my_yamaha_birch_3_resized.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 1,739
  • my_yamaha_birch_4_resized.jpg
    my_yamaha_birch_4_resized.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 1,956
Last edited:
I've put this up before, but once again:
I’ll step in here and enter the discussion.

We are at the beginning of an exciting time at Yamaha Drums, and there are a lot of fantastic things coming. Many of you have seen our Live Custom Series, which was launched at Winter NAMM and received rave reviews by dealers, artists, and press. It is the first drumset out of our Yamaha-owned factory in Xiaoshan, China. And this is just the start.

It’s important to remember that all of the techniques and processes that have made Yamaha one of the most respected names in drums were, in fact, created by Yamaha. The transition to our new state-of-the-art factory has allowed us to update and improve these processes and tools utilized by the craftsmen to build our drums. Also important to note is that the Xiaoshan factory was built from the ground up as a Yamaha factory and is ISO 14001 certified. Yamaha has been building pianos and wind/brass instruments in that facility for years; as a result, each craftsman is very familiar with our high standards and expectations, being trained not only in how but why we do things the way we do.

Ultimately, Yamaha drums will be better, while becoming more affordable: not by downgrading the quality of the materials, but by making the processes more efficient and still crafting some of the world’s best-sounding drums.

Feel free to PM me for further discussion. We will continue to develop high end drums, made to our high standards, and back them with some of the best customer service in the industry. We are already working on updated and improved versions of the lines that are going away, and the artists that have played the prototypes are very excited about that is coming.

Any idea when some of those new prototypes will go into production or be announced? I guess it's safe to say "after" July, once ordering the older lines is no longer an option.

Whoa, that is quite a document, found in a dumpster behind burger king?

It's posted on Yamaha's website. I love how transparent they are as a company. They have nothing to hide. I have no doubt that they're going to come out with some amazing stuff later this year.

the Xiaoshan factory was built from the ground up as a Yamaha factory and is ISO 14001 certified.

http://www.fs.fed.us/ems/includes/sum_ems_elements.pdf

Kudos!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back