Another FNG...a Ludwig man

Olrocker

My 2000 WMP Maple Classics miked up and ready to rock...snare is a mid-90s classic maple 5x14 satinwood. 14x14 floor tom was not used for this show. Pork Pie boom stands.

The 1967 BPD Ludwig maple Super Classic 4-piece kit stays in my home studio...

IMGP1140.jpg

That looks beautiful.
Just the way the pic was taken, it should be used on the Ludwig website (no, really).

'Preciate it, man...

Uhh...being a FNG I am definitely out of the loop on the exchange below...

I love this kit...I custom ordered it (old-school large Classic lugs are a special order) in 2000 an had it in 2 weeks! (but I only live about two hours from the factory)

<it should be used on the Ludwig website>

Which one?

'Preciate it, man...

I love this kit...I custom ordered it (old-school large Classic lugs are a special order) in 2000 an had it in 2 weeks! (but I only live about two hours from the factory)

<it should be used on the Ludwig website>

Which one?

UHhh...the real one?
I didn't know there was more than one.

I'll read between the lines and assume only the mini-classic was available as standard. Beautiful kit. Don't be shy. Welcome to Drummerworld. Bust out pics of the 67's. Don't just tease us by sayin' you have some. That's just cruel.

First, were you by any chance in Vietnam? I remember my dad always using the term "FNG" when I was younger.

Second, beautiful looking kit! Is that the original wrap?

Thanks for the kind words.

Actually, I used "FNG" after seeing a post from another new cat here a few posts back...

As far as 'Nam...right age, but, no...wasn't there.

The wrap is original (2000). The mini lugs were standard then as now. I was going for a retro look, so I ordered them with the large Classic lugs. I didn't take it to the extreme (as can be seen with the black bass drum hoops with no inlay and no claw hooks, the RIMS rack tom mount and floor tom basket, and the Pork Pie cymbal stands.)

I'll post pics of the '67s soon. I bought them in '73 and used them exclusively until I got the new ones. They've seen plenty of action and are still in good shape (but I do need to shine them up.)

I also have a WMP Yamaha Al Foster Hip Gig "travel" kit that is great for rehearsing. Mighty handy, and they sound good too.

That's one of the finest looking kits I ever saw. Really, it doesn't even look "real", like someone said it could almost be a promotional picture.
Any chance of getting more pictures? And what are the cymbals you are running there?

Here are the '67s as they are today...

The stands are a mix of Yamaha and Premier medium-duty (they look appropriately old-school.) I did add the double tom mount in '80...wish I hadn't (but who knew then there would be "collectible drums" ;-)

The cymbals are Zildjians (nothin' but); 20" Ping Ride, 17" Rock Crash, 16" Medium Crash, 14" New Beat hi hats; anywhere from 25-40 years old. I only have the one set of cymbals, so the same ones are in the pics of the WMP and BDP kits.

67SuperClassic.jpg

Last edited:
The 2000 kit on stage in '06...Cat's Cradle, Chapel Hill, NC...

Scott8-06sm.jpg

...and being played by the great NC drummer Jim Brock (Kathy Mattea, Don Dixon, Marti Jones, Janis Ian, Joe Cocker, Joe Walsh, Hootie and the Blowfish, James McMurtry, many others) in '07

Brock-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice BDP kit also. I use mostly all Yamaha single braced hardware also. Same reason. Classic look with modern function. Looks like you switched out the spurs on the ' 67 kit as well.

Looks like you switched out the spurs on the ' 67 kit as well.

Yeah, that's the third set of spurs on that drum. It came with the original folding spurs; those were replaced in the '70s with the curved retracting ones (had to drill big holes for those) which I then replaced with the current telescoping/rotate to park against the shell spurs (the mounting plate for which covers the big holes nicely.)

Wow, very classy! I like this particular finish...how thick are these Ludwig shells? And how do you like the snare drum? Looks really beautiful...something to hold for sure! Karl

I'm not sure about the shell thickness; whatever thay were doing in 2000 on the Maple Classics. I like the snare a lot...the "Satinwood" snares had a special numbered plaque with Bill Jr's sig on it (for what it's worth.) Underneath the Satinwood outer ply it's a 5x14 Maple Classic snare with 10 "Classic" double-ended lugs, P-85 strainer, and a round knob tone control (remember those?) I use a coated Powerstroke 3 batter head (as I do on all my snares.)

Back