RUSH retirement rumor

M

Matt Bo Eder

So a friend posted on Facebook today a couple of articles talking about how this tour could be Rush's last tour - but they aren't calling it a Farewell Tour.

Some of my friends were bummed, but their manager Ray (I forget his last name) quoted this interesting tidbit: "This might be the last time he'd be able to get these 65-year-olds out on the road".

Then it hit me how long I've been listening to these guys on and off, and when I was really into them (1977-1982), that was almost 40 years ago!

I lamented that not very many musicians get to retire as they grow older, so if they have a chance to do just that, I think they deserve it. They've made so many of us happy for a long time, and apparently have done it on their own terms. What more could you ask for? So if this is their final tour, I wish them all the best and will enjoy their music as I always have.

These was some talk about continuing on, but not as the big production it is. And I thought, "how cool would it be to see Rush as an acoustic trio playing at a House of Blues or something?" That would be a treat to see. Just sitting there, drinking coffee and enjoying acoustic Rush music for an evening.

Better they go out on top without having to be a parody of themselves, eh?

It's not really a rumor.

Geddy was interviewed on VH-1 Classic's "That Metal Show" and he said it was the final major tour, abet not the final ever show.

And Geddy admitted all three members have different views of where they are in life.

Of course, both Alex and Neil have been threatening to retire since the late 80's, so it's not exactly something new.

But as Ray said, if the band takes a break, how does he convince them to get back together in a few years knowing they'll all be mid-60's by then?

Sure the Stones are on the road, and they're hitting 70, but have you read Charlies' interviews? He doesn't sound like this tour was exactly his idea. And of course Wyman retired long ago.

Well, I wouldn't be upset if they just retired. I know so many people in entertainment locally who absolutely should ;)

Today the wife and I were chatting about slowing down since we are on the approach to that magic number. And we both laughed because we remembered when our parents used to talk that way when we were kids!

If they retire, I'd wish them well. I discovered Rush at the age of 11 and have seen them every time though Toronto, Hamilton and sometimes Buffalo since. I've purchased each CD and live concert video and the hours of enjoyment they've provided can't be counted.

I have tickets for Toronto and I'm seriously leaning to take my 9 year old son. He might be too young, but it would be nice sharing this with him.

On another note, I think Rush could set up shop in a well chosen North American city and walk to work every day for years. Their fan base is that loyal. A pilgrimage of sorts.

Time to go out on top and do new things. Thanks for the tunes; I really enjoyed them in the 1970's.

GJS

I'll be personally gutted as I was hoping they'd stop by the UK one more time so I could see them once. I had the chance around the time they did R30 and turned it down rather foolishly, but as a 30 year old and seeing some of my favourite celebrities die in the last year (Rik Mayall for example) it's made me realise not everyone can motor on forever.

Rush have done so much for me musically I cannot say. Neil peart has single handedly made me approach music in a different way mentally. Not so much physically as I dont have his chops but lyrically he is deep and that he doesn't overplay things.

40 years of banging out excellence....I hope they pull the plug and enjoy life outside of music. They have brought immense listening pleasure to me since I was a kid. Ive seen them live every tour since Permanent Waves and they still kill it. Many thanks to Rush for all the smiles.

F

40 years of banging out excellence....I hope they pull the plug and enjoy life outside of music. They have brought immense listening pleasure to me since I was a kid. Ive seen them live every tour since Permanent Waves and they still kill it. Many thanks to Rush for all the smiles.

F

Permanent Waves was the first Rush album I bought myself. Before then my brother had A Farewell to Kings and I found myself listening to that over and over. Big impression made on this 12-year-old back then. Then I went backwards before forwards- getting the Hemispheres and Fly By Night albums. Moving Pictures came out and it was all over ;)

The first Rush albums that I bought were 2112 and All the World' a Stage. I just about wore out the grooves in that vinyl.

I would hope they retire while still in relatively good form. Geddy's voice can't take too much more... he sounds like he's straining to get it done the last couple of live albums, although both times I saw him on the Time Machine tour (including the last show on the second go-round) it was just fine.

As I mentioned to Bo on another social media platform, not only is Neil getting a little long in the tooth to play young man's music for 3+ hours, but he's got a very new family, a very new child, and considering what happened to his last family, he has a good reason to not want to tour as much anymore. Time is too short anymore.

I'd go see them in Vegas...would be great if they made their show stationary...we'd go see 'em....and it would be less wear/tear/discomfort for them.

Maybe 2 shows a month...keep writing so there would be reaon to come back every year or so...

Adjust the show to fit a more intimate audience....heck I'd like that more...

I've only seen them once at the Pacific Amphitheater when they did their Presto tour, but I'm glad I did. It was awesome and Peart's drum solo knocked my socks off.

So, who can blame anyone for wanting more time with your respective loved ones.

The music seems to be in the DNA of these rock types and the love of music keeps them going. As Bo said there are some groups that should have retired already but won't. If they decide to retire they won't be needy and it will be well deserved. Do it before they need the rocking chairs.

This is their last big production tour, but they'll be out playing again. It may be smaller venues (like The Wiltern in LA for example), or it just may be shorter tours, but this isn't the end. I say this with 100% certainty.

"he's got a very new family, a very new child, and considering what happened to his last family, he has a good reason to not want to tour as much anymore. Time is too short anymore."

You beat me to this point. This band endured some very dark times. It did change their music in my opinion. That's ok, of course. I first saw them on tour after fly by night and have been a Rush fan since. But also a Neil Peart fan and a Geddy Lee fan. In fact Geddy made me a Rickenbacker fan! They deserve to retire and I do think they will do some thing publicly.

I have tickets, very expensive tickets, to their R40 show in St. Louis. Ihave seen them probably around 10-12 times over the years. Wtih this being the possible last show as the band we have come to know, I wouldn't miss it!

I first saw them in Regina, Saskatchewan with their new drummer; some guy named Peart. I liked their first album with John Rutsey but was willing to give their newby a listen. Neil stole the show!

GJS

p.s. Queen City Kids were their opening act at the now demolished Trianon Ballroom.

I have tickets for Toronto and I'm seriously leaning to take my 9 year old son. He might be too young, but it would be nice sharing this with him.

Do it!! Get him some earplugs and let him rock out!

I have been taking my son for many years now. He'll be 23 this year. We once had 3 generations at a Rush show - my wife and I, my son, my sister, and my mom!

A lifetime of joy that we'll never forget.

And of course we're seeing R40 together.

Back