Yamaha Drums

...congrats on another beautiful yamaha kit...did brian use a yamaha kit?...it seems he prefers canopus/vintage gretsch, etc...

Yes, he does prefer other drums - the thing is, he wasn't playing drums at this Festival, he was playing guitar- his own compositions- music from his first album as a singer songwriter , " Mama Rosa". Steve Nistor was his drummer, and he was really great, also a world class musician IMHO. Steve played my Club Custom bop kit. I got Brian a Gibson ES335 and a Fender Super Reverb. I also mixed FOH on that show, it was fantastic.
Brian was an absolute gentleman, the kind of person that is a joy to work with. He gets it. Just an awesome guy.
I'll start another thread with all the jazz festival stories , it will be a good read.

Neal

Beautiful kit Neal! And I'm with the others--don't wrap it.

Congrats as well on your venture into backline service. Just saw Brian Blade (on drums, with John Patitucci) a couple of months ago--cool that you were able to meet him and provide instruments for him and his band.

Yeah, the yellow sparkle is cool, I'll leave it alone. I'm warming up to it :)
I will save the wrapping for my Quartz Grey Recording Customs. Green Strata here we come!

Wes, that's quite the spaceship rack design you have there, that must have taken a great deal of effort to do that!

Neal

I will save the wrapping for my Quartz Grey Recording Customs. Green Strata here we come!

Wes, that's quite the spaceship rack design you have there, that must have taken a great deal of effort to do that!

Neal

Hey Neal,

Why wrap the Quartz Gray drums, sell them to me instead :)... You can always find other drums you can wrap,... PM me if you consider selling.

Neal

Not good, wrapping a YAMAHA lacquer finish, even the grey RC's which are collectable now. Please do not wrap any YAMAHA lacquer finish as they're all works of art, sell them first. YAMAHA doesn't let out any bad finish jobs on their good stuff.

Throw another one onto the pile!
Incoming Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau in Yellow Sparkle
12x8, 14x14, 20x16
Separately also picked up a 14x5.5 Aluminum signed by Keith Carlock.
I know, I know, enough Yamaha already.

I am doing a backline rentals thing. This kit will be popular for that.
I will start a new thread when I have some time all about the recent Jazz festival that I did all the drum backline for. Got to meet/provide gear for Brian Blade and Larnell Lewis too.

I was thinking I might re-wrap these but then I kinda like the Yellow Sparkle. Don't see many in this finish.

I LOVE yellow drums. I'm also a diehard Yamaha fan and getting the two passions to combine is seriously difficult.

As a result I am very, very jealous indeed! Love and cherish these - they're absolute beauts...

Not good, wrapping a YAMAHA lacquer finish, even the grey RC's which are collectable now. Please do not wrap any YAMAHA lacquer finish as they're all works of art, sell them first. YAMAHA doesn't let out any bad finish jobs on their good stuff.

Yeah, I hear ya - but the finish on my Quartz Gray kit is just beaten up bad, they are not in good shape. In fact, they need new rims throughout and the lugs need chrome re-plating as well. I don't care for the finish and neither do any of my musician friends. I have these drums to play them (forever), and as such, don't really care about resale on this particular kit. I have another RC kit in classic black...I'll leave those alone.

I LOVE yellow drums. I'm also a diehard Yamaha fan and getting the two passions to combine is seriously difficult.

As a result I am very, very jealous indeed! Love and cherish these - they're absolute beauts...

Yes, I have come around on that - I am really liking the Yellow Sparkle now. Leaving them alone, just changing the heads!

Now if I could just find a Paul Leim snare to go with this kit...anybody?

Neal

Hi guys,

I picked up a BCA in Vintage natural this past week. They look fantastic, and am trying to dial in the sound. Right now I put on a set of Remo White Suede Emperor batters and am not 100% on board with what they are sounding like. Could be my ears, could be my room. I will spend more time with them this weekend, but I wanted to know here what you're typically using on BCA. I may do Super 2 clear since I haven't done clear heads in a while.

Pics to follow soon! Thanks!

I've always liked the sound of birch w/ pinstripes or EC2 clears..just seems to go well with birch IMO.... Not sure what the equivalent Aquarian head would be (maybe performance II), but I do like aquarian's a lot... I recently installed some force 10's on a live custom kit with really good results ...

Hi guys,

I picked up a BCA in Vintage natural this past week. They look fantastic, and am trying to dial in the sound. Right now I put on a set of Remo White Suede Emperor batters and am not 100% on board with what they are sounding like. Could be my ears, could be my room. I will spend more time with them this weekend, but I wanted to know here what you're typically using on BCA. I may do Super 2 clear since I haven't done clear heads in a while.

Pics to follow soon! Thanks!

Yess Pics soon please. I've got clear super 2's over ambassadors on my BCAN rack toms. and performance 2's on the fl. toms, but the 14" has a super 2 on the reso (that toned down the excessive ring a bit). Anyway I like the super 2's a lot.

Took the Live Customs out to the gig last night. Great sounding kit.

Attachments

• live oak.jpg
    live oak.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 704
Took the Live Customs out to the gig last night. Great sounding kit.

Good to hear that!

Looks like you played with only a bass drum mic. Were your drums nice and loud?

I have not yet used my Live Customs for a gig.

Yep it's another "back in the saddle" post!

After not playing at all for 15+ years I played a small gig and remembered just how much I missed playing so I dug these out of the garage about a month ago after they sat stacked in a corner in the cases for 15+ years. Bought the HexRackII (need the other half of it when I can afford it :)) and some new crash cymbals. Still had my trusty 22" A Zildjian ride I've had for 45+ years and a set of hi-hats plus a china that are about 25 years old.

I bought the kit new in 1983. It's a Yamaha Recording Custom 11 piece kit in piano black lacquer finish all standard sizes. Almost sold them once but thought better of it... phew! I knew I'd never be able to replace them so didn't sell at the time...

Have already done a couple club gigs with some old friends. I had to bust my butt to get ready for those jobs but got my chops back up and made it through 4 sets! I wasn't sure if My old azz would be able to do it but it came off well!

Couldn't be happier! I'm feeling like I'm 15 again! Well sort of :) just turned 60... Had to share! My user name is the model number of the kit I bought in the 1983 Yamaha catalog.

So Happy to be back at it!

Attachments

• 1983 RC794B Garage.jpg
    1983 RC794B Garage.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 590
  • 1983 RC794B me.jpg
    1983 RC794B me.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 601
  • 1983 RC794B Small.jpg
    1983 RC794B Small.jpg
    548.3 KB · Views: 595
Yep it's another "back in the saddle" post!

Couldn't be happier! I'm feeling like I'm 15 again! Well sort of :)
So Happy to back at it!

Good for you !!!
I'm in the same boat.

A few Yamaha related notes:

I just threw down some money to claim a used Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau kit at Guitar Center. It's over the web, which is kind of a risk, but they're telling me that the kit has 12x8 and 14x14 toms, a 13x4 snare, and a 16" diameter bass drum. I guess I was so confused that I didn't ask depth. Is that even real? I don't think they produced a bass with a 16" diameter. Perhaps I'm just confused and it's really an 18x16.

Also, I don't know if this is illegal, but I'm selling a mint condition 14x14 recording custom floor tom in piano black.

Back