Exclusive! Origin Classic range - first view of "Cappuccino" :).

Andy

Honorary Member
As promised, posted here first, our new Origin series Classic range drums. These are solid steam bent ash shells with evangkol segmented hoops. Nickel finished aluminium hardware. Sizes;

Bass drum = 20" x 12"
Tom = 12" x 8"
Floor tom = 14" x 12"

Heads are Aquarian new vintage as standard. Everything about this range is different to the performance range. Ash steam bent shells offer a warm tone and the evangkol hoops brighten the image with a crispness that's subtle. Fairly short in note, but big in shell tone sustain & voice, these drums open up with a feather touch, yet don't choke at high dynamic, despite being completely unvented. Incredibly lightweight drums, I'll post actual weights here shortly.

I know what you're thinking - that bass drum is too shallow to produce a full & rich sound = WRONG! A combination of depth, articulation, & lightness that I'm confident has never been available before, despite it's diminutive stature. The Origin principals really combine to work their magic in this kit. Even though it's not my personal (somewhat unrefined) style, I think this is the creation of which we're most proud. Dean named it "Cappuccino". I think that suits the aesthetic perfectly.

P.S. Pictured with my walnut & ash snare. It doesn't match the visual exactly, but it's the closest we've got until we bring out the Origin series snare drums :)

Attachments

• classic1.jpg
    classic1.jpg
    916.7 KB · Views: 610
  • classic2.jpg
    classic2.jpg
    798.2 KB · Views: 541
  • classic3.jpg
    classic3.jpg
    614 KB · Views: 544
  • classic4.jpg
    classic4.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 854
  • classic5.jpg
    classic5.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 848
  • classic6.jpg
    classic6.jpg
    659.7 KB · Views: 561
  • classic7.jpg
    classic7.jpg
    942.8 KB · Views: 534
Last edited by a moderator:
looks beautiful. but not playable! haha i wouldnt be able bring myself to hit it :p

really like it, shame i cant make it down to the LDS next week to hear it :(

BD 20x12 sounding thin... not if it's a GURU - I believe that for sure!

The cosmetics are breathtaking. Pure, no frills, highest level of aesthetics, for maximum eyegasm.
How sweet must those shells sound...

Thanks guys :) Created for eargasms, the eyegasm aspect is pretty much by default. It's a result of the same "form follows function" approach we've adopted to the whole series. Even so, there's something a bit magic about this little honey of a kit. Certainly, the result is greater than the sum of it's parts.

The wood species mix was a much thought through combination. By chance, it happens to complement perfectly (IMO) aesthetically too. Such a compact little kit, but with a voice that belies it's size, I really believe this will be the star of the series. Put it's incredibly light weight into the equation, & I'm hoping this finds favour with the very conservative jazz fraternity. Off to weigh the kit :)

Oh, forgot to mention. Standard sizes available are;

Bass drums.
18" x 16"
20" x 12"
20" x 14"
22" x 14"
24" x 14"
26" x 14"

Toms.
10" x 7"
12" x 7"
12" x 8"
13" x 8"
13" x 9"
14" x 10"

Floor toms.
14" x 12"
16" x 14"
18" x 15"

This range is not exclusively aimed at jazz players, it's aimed at anyone seeking the classic vibe, but on steroids. The larger sizes will rock out that Bonham vibe with aplomb, & deliver tones that any vintage kit would struggle to achieve.

Dean named it "Cappuccino". I think that suits the aesthetic perfectly.

I'm a coffee addict.... it might just suits me down to the ground :)

The kit looks absolutely gorgeous, and although I'm suspicious of the size of that bass drum, I trust your comment, I can't wait to lay my foot on it ...won't be too long now :)

I'm thinking of bringing my bass drum pedal, good idea or bad idea?

The Rolls Royce of drums. Unwavering dedication to the highest standards.

Guys, this level of painstaking attention to detail is rarely seen in a mass market world.

Reminds me of a story:

An American Rolls Royce owner broke down and there were no parts or technicians available. The company flew a tech over to fix the car.

The car's owner wrote a letter to the company thanking them for repairing the issue and offering payment. He received a letter from the President in reply. The letter stated: "Thank you for your kind words but we fear you may be mistaken for Rolls Royce's never break down"

This is where Andy's at.

Thanks again to Guru.

I like this finish much more than the other one you posted. Nothing against the other one, they both look sweet.

Needs square floor toms though :p

That is a great looking kit. In my opinion it would look even better if the hoops were round, less bulky and made of Ash or Evangkol. But thats just me.

Weights - complete with hardware, legs, spurs, etc:

Bass drum = 14lb
Floor tom = 9lb
Tom = 4.5lb

That's a combined shell set weight of 27.5lb (12.5 Kilo)!

The kit looks absolutely gorgeous, and although I'm suspicious of the size of that bass drum, I trust your comment, I can't wait to lay my foot on it ...won't be too long now :)
the bass drum will be tuned high, in a bop style Henri, but you can test out it's thump ability too :) No need for a pedal, plenty there :)

The Rolls Royce of drums. Unwavering dedication to the highest standards.

Guys, this level of painstaking attention to detail is rarely seen in a mass market world.
Thank you Jeff. Knowing your background, that's high praise indeed :)

Needs square floor toms though :p
Hmmm, well, if they were ply shells, I might agree with that ;)

That is a great looking kit. In my opinion it would look even better if the hoops were round, less bulky and made of Ash or Evangkol. But thats just me.
?????????
If the hoops were round, they'd have more bulk, not less.
The hoops are made of ovangkol.

WOW!!! This just keeps getting better!!! Everytime I open the link to one of your Origin posts it like seeing it for the first time again. Simply wonderful!! Andy, I truly cannot wait to hear these!! As always, thank you so much for sharing with us first and taking the time to keep us posted!!!

I think I'm in love...

It's like Fred Flinstone's kit.

Someone pass me some tissues, I just creamed my jeans.

Andy, whatever the highest compliment is, just assume I said it.

Finest drums on the planet, for real.

Can't wait to have my own!

So beautiful, I'd spend all day just looking and marveling at the drums. If they sound half as good as they look (and I know they're likely to sound better than they look, if that's possible) they will be amazing.

Superlatives well and truly not good enough!

That is one of the nicest looking kits I've ever seen - what a cool looking design. Would like to hear how they sound, too.

I was psyched when I read 12x20 Bass drum - that's a magic size for bass drums...

Dammit Andy, a few more of these and I'm gonna have to fly over there and bang on a few of these myself. Gorgeous finish, but does it come in a wrap with flaming skulls on it?

-Jonathan

Damn!! That is S E X Y.

Congrats Andy.

PS: Clever engineering there with the "reversed" bass drum spurs, hehe.

Cheers!!

Back