700 GBP Drum Kit...

Bubuchnik

EDIT: Budget is now around 900 gbp

Hey guys.

I'm looking around for my second drum kit, my first being a tama swingstar (It's a good beginner drum kit and sounds a whole lot better with a change of heads). I have a Max budget of 700 uk pounds. I'd love to buy a starclassic but can't afford it...sigh :)

I'm partial towards tama drum kits. I'm mostly a rock/metal drummer and don't have plans of playing jazz or anything similar for gigs. So anyways i was looking at either the tama imperialstar (Around 450 pounds) or the tama superstar(697 pounds). Maybe i could find some better offers online and i am looking for them !

Any suggestions/hints/tips ? Feel free to sway me towards other kits and brands cause at the end of the day it's all about the sound.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Go secondhand and keep a watch on Ebay, I've seen 5 piece Starclassics shellpacks go for around 700. You'll see high end Yamaha and Pearl shellpacks go for around that too.

I rather get a new one :) I have issues....

So tama superstar is the best i can buy under 700 ? Factoring in the cost of new heads and a cymbal or two if possible into the price.

And theunit or anyone who own's a tama superstar, how good are the stock heads and cymbals ?

You're not doing yourself any favours by overlooking the used market -why get a new midrange kit when you could get a high end kit in excellent condition?

I'm scared i'll get ripped off ! I'm known for that... :(

I don't know what to really look for while buying used drums. Maybe if i get to play the drums before i buy i might consider it.

And the link you posted has one the bass and 2 toms. That too for 775. I need to get a snare and a hihat atleast which will add to the cost.

Superstar custom for £650? http://www.drumshop.co.uk/product.php?id=949

If you've got the hardware, I'd recommend just buying the shells, which is what I did.

I would look into the Sonor Force 3005's. Great drum kits. That being said, its over your budget as you're looking at around £950ish. Without the hardware though, it's a different story!

Sorry about this guys. I don't think i can edit the title of the thread but i just spoke to my parents and i think i can fork out around 900 GBP maybe a 60-70 quid more if i really push it...YAY !! :D

How is the tama superstar hyperdrive drums ??
http://www.drumcentral.co.uk///tama...drive-drum-kit-dark-desert-burst-p-10352.html

Really like the fact that the toms aren't mounted on the bass drums. And i can get some decent cymbals and hi hats for 100 gbp and then get real good ones once i get the cash. And when i feel the need to get more toms how hard will it be for me to find ones with the same finish ?

Any other ideas?

I prefer smaller, shallower toms. Not tried their hyperdrive kits though, hopefully I will this year if they're at Drummer Live. The shallower depths give you much more projection, great for your gigs for what you want.

Personally, If I had £900 I would look into the Starclassic section. Do you need hardware? Coincedently that was the price I paid for my Limited Editions Starclassics without the hardware.

Yup...Like i said i need everything. Starting from scratch. The drums, cymbals, heads, hardware, etc. That's the reason i can't spend too much on the shells, cause shells alone do not make a drum set :)

I'm really interested in the superstar efx hyperdrive and superstar hyperdrive kits. Hopefully i'll go to the store soon and get to try them out.

EDIT: Budget is now around 900 gbp

Hey guys.

I'm looking around for my second drum kit, my first being a tama swingstar (It's a good beginner drum kit and sounds a whole lot better with a change of heads). I have a Max budget of 700 uk pounds. I'd love to buy a starclassic but can't afford it...sigh :)

I'm partial towards tama drum kits. I'm mostly a rock/metal drummer and don't have plans of playing jazz or anything similar for gigs. So anyways i was looking at either the tama imperialstar (Around 450 pounds) or the tama superstar(697 pounds). Maybe i could find some better offers online and i am looking for them !

Any suggestions/hints/tips ? Feel free to sway me towards other kits and brands cause at the end of the day it's all about the sound.

Thank you.

Hey im in the exact same situation as you, Ive got a Swingstar at the mo and i was lookin at saving up to get a new tama kit and here is my thoughts,
Ive looked at the Tama Hyperdrive SK/ EFX SX....
http://www.birminghamdrumcentre.co.uk/product.asp?productid=2095
http://www.birminghamdrumcentre.co.uk/product.asp?productid=2094

I checked out both those kits. And as far as i can see, with the sk i'm getting 4 toms whereas with the efx i'm getting only 2. But with the efx my bass drum is a 24x18 compared to a 22x18. Both are the same price. So am i paying more for the efx just for the finish ?

The sk seems like a lot better deal, or am i missing something ?

I checked out both those kits. And as far as i can see, with the sk i'm getting 4 toms whereas with the efx i'm getting only 2. But with the efx my bass drum is a 24x18 compared to a 22x18. Both are the same price. So am i paying more for the efx just for the finish ?

The sk seems like a lot better deal, or am i missing something ?

Good points, But other dealers do the efx kit with three/four toms i think, That website was just the first i came across...

First off, welcome to the forums! You'll like it here :)

I took a look at the hyperdrive shells a while back and they are good, but they're different. You definately need to try them before you make up your mind.

I'm not sure about other U.K drummers but I find it hard to find somewhere that will let your test out a kit, at least around my area.

It seems that guys in the U.S have better luck with stores letting them test stuff. But if you try hard you'll find somewhere and thats the best advice I can give.

Definately do not buy before you've tried, cliche I know but honestly...

Also definately take notice of what 'jonescrusher' is saying because you really can find good deals second hand. Even if you have to travel a bit to test stuff out its worth it in the end if it means that you'll get a good bargain!

You'll find that opinions on here are scattered and that some people will give you a reason for one thing and some for another, which is great and D.W is a great resource but ultimately its your opinion that matters.

Anywho, let us know what you do

yours

Adam

Last edited:
First off, welcome to the forums! You'll like it here :)

I took a look at the hyperdrive shells a while back and they are good, but they're different. You definately need to try them before you make up your mind.

I'm not sure about other U.K drummers but I find it hard to find somewhere that will let your test out a kit, at least around my area.

It seems that guys in the U.S have better luck with stores letting them test stuff. But if you try hard you'll find somewhere and thats the best advice I can give.

Definately do not buy before you've tried, cliche I know but honestly...

Also definately take notice of what 'jonescrusher' is saying because you really can find good deals second hand. Even if you have to travel a bit to test stuff out its worth it in the end if it means that you'll get a good bargain!

You'll find that opinions on here are scattered and that some people will give you a reason for one thing and some for another, which is great and D.W is a great resource but ultimately its your opinion that matters.

Anywho, let us know what you do

yours

Adam

Hopefully i find a place to try it out ! And i will keep a lookout for used kits for sure. But i need the drums on short notice, so i might not be able to find good deals by then.

And about the hyperdrive shells, why didn't you buy them? Or buy them if you did? What do you mean by different ?

I like my toms having a little bit of resonance. Not a dead tom you hear on so many of today's records. I know there is a lot of studio magic but you know the tom sound which gives you a nice tone plus a second or two of resonance. Toms that sound slightly ringy when played alone but when playing in a band blend in real awesome ! The holy grail of tom sounds for me and many of you (maybe? :p). Are the shorter shells really dead sounding? Also toms that just don't project well aren't great either. All i've had is a starter kit so i really can't judge so you guys will have to help me out.

Can someone who has tried both tell me what the difference is?

Last edited:
Back