Mapex Saturn blue sparkle delivered

dingbat

The kit was delivered today, 10, 12, 14, 22, 14 snare. Opening the boxes, it is unbelievable this kit was sold used (was a trade in according to the shop), it is immaculate in every way, I put more marks on the heads, compared to the previous owner, in just the first 15 minutes of doing a quick tune up of the heads. The packing job was excellent, plenty of cushion and support all the way around in the three re-pack boxes the drums came in. Absolutely got much more than I paid for on this ebay purchase. Here are a few pics...

Attachments

• Bd inside.JPG
    Bd inside.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 10,483
  • Driver.JPG
    Driver.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 10,030
  • Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 10,243
  • Left.JPG
    Left.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 10,361
  • Right.JPG
    Right.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 13,423
  • Top.JPG
    Top.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 10,298
  • 12 tom.JPG
    12 tom.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 10,880
Last edited:
Beautiful kit(s) Dingbat! I agree, from the pictures the Mapex kit looks flawless, perhaps new heads were installed prior to resale or you really got lucky and purchased a kit that was never played.

Good for you, I really like the blue sparkle although your Taye Kit looks great too!

Enjoy them all!

Thanks SOGdrummer, the finish is much better than I had anticipated as I had never seen it in the flesh in blue sparkle before purchasing, I imagine the dark cherry sparkle the kit comes in is even better. Timebandit, the finish is a lacquer, very deep and wet looking. Have not had time to look at all the details as I am running out the door at this moment, but from my initial observations and playing a bit, this kit is superb. Both Taye SM and this kit are equal in craftsmanship and finish, and all three of the kits I own have distinct and pleasing voices from one another. I am humbled that I am fortunate to work hard to earn these kits and thank my lucky stars for the privilege.

Last edited:
Stunning, Truly stunning.
That blue totally rocks.

Heh we all do that 15 minute tune-up when we get a new set. I even did it with new heads! yea not a smart idea, because now when i wanna go play, i know i will have to tune. i dislike tuning.

Anyway again AWESOME KIT!!!

Very nice kit. You're the 3rd cat to move into and post pictures of a Saturn kit. I'm glad to see the Mapex pro level drums enter the mix. Sweet.

Very nice. Those sparkle jobs that mapex does are awesome. I wonder why more companies dont go for that instead of wraps.

btw, how much did you snag that for if you dont mind me asking?

Very nice. Those sparkle jobs that mapex does are awesome. I wonder why more companies dont go for that instead of wraps.

btw, how much did you snag that for if you dont mind me asking?

"Buy it now" at $990, free shipping, no tax. The drums and tom mounting hardware are in "new" A+++ condition, better than most any of the floor models you see at GC. Like I said, I can't believe it was a trade-in according to the store manager, looks like someone bought it, took it out of the boxes and put it away in storage in fleece lined cases, not a ding, scratch, or spec of anything to be found anywhere, just a few very light stick marks on the heads (no evidence of such on the kick batter, the falam patch was not even installed where the beater would strike the head, I ended up switching out the Remo Powerstroke for an Aquarian SK I batter head on the kick). If it was indeed a trade-in, the previous owner must have lost his/her tush in the trade-in value for which I am amazed that someone would be willing to do, based on what the kit was sold to me for which I happily thank him/her. This was a very good score.

Last edited:
Very good price. Excellent example of what you can find out there "used" if you look.

woah! i absolutely love the kit man, such a nice finish and a really neat setup - cant wait to see more pics of it set up!

Saturns are great drums! If anyone has ever spoke to the guys at Mapex,...they are hard-core believers in their products and they'll tell you why too, ....it's nice to hear!

Saturns could be one of the best "bangs for the buck" in the market. Priced between an intermediate and a high-level kit....even though it can get a little pricey,...it's still a great overall value for what you get!

The ONLY thing I don't like about Mapex is their individual drum "badges" on the toms....too big, too clunky....regardless of the line, I think it makes the drums look a little 'less-expensive or quality wise" than they are. Don't get me wrong, I'd play one of these babys in a heart beat, but.......just my opinion.

Congrats on a BEAUTIFUL kit bro !!!

By the way.....what kind of rack is that ?!?! I like the "black" !! Thanks

Last edited:
That cant be used...Its to perfect

Love the kit. Saturn may be my next choice so any chance of a review or audio?

Well...where do you live, I`d like to come to you and jam a bit with this baby and the taye...LOL, just kidding.
Seriously, that kit is nice...and since today I love the sound of Mapex... ;-)

Sweet man, sweet, love this blue sparkle!

Karl

Hey Dingbat,
Your illness is getting out of hand ;-)
But damn she's a beauty....good good good job and congrats........................

Thank you for the compliments gentlemen! McBrain, good to hear from you, I swear the illness is now under control, can't think of getting much better than I have, and got great deals on all three kits, these are all keepers. I thought I saw your kits in the reader for sale a little while back, did you sell them and replace them with another kit? Fussion, the rack is an old rack from a company called Ultimate Support Systems, I don't even know if they are in business anymore. I got the rack with a used Yamaha Recording Custom kit I bought many years ago, but have since sold the kit. The various clamps are a mixture of older Tama rack clamps, Yamaha, and Gibralter parts. I have two of these racks. Here is the secret, parts of the rack are the original aluminum piping, other parts such as the "feet" are steel. I posted this before in another thread a while back ago, the stand-up torch lamps with the halogen bulbs you can buy for your home or office, are of the same diameter as the rack piping from Gibralter or other rack companies - 1.5 inches. Instead of throwing away the lamps when they burn out (the bulbs are sometimes more expensive than the whole lamp itself) recycle the lamp piping, cut to size with a hacksaw, and make a rack for yourself. Also, some of the stands that PA speakers are mounted on, I believe are 1.5 inch in diameter. Basically any 1.5 inch diameter pipe could be used, it's the composition of the metal that will dictate how heavy (steel) or light (aluminum) the rack will be. Check out ebay for clamps and such, as buying the clamps separately/new, you may approach the cost of a new rack. And if any of you gents make it to the San Diego, CA area for business or pleasure, I would be happy to let you check out the kits (if my work and school schedule allows at the time), and take them for a spin, just pm me!

Last edited:
Back