In need of Advice - Kits

thelastfarmkid

Before I get ragged on for 'noobness,' I've got myself a bit of a dilemma.

I ordered a kit around 4 months ago and it apparently got lost in the mail The shop I ordered through told me I could keep waiting orget a refund and buy a different kit. I shopped around a little and narrowed it down to 4.

All laquered finishes:

1) Sonor Force 3007 - Maple

2) TAMA Superstar Hyperdrive - Birch

3) Pearl Masters MCX - Maple -expensive!

4) PDP Platinum Series - Maple

Since this is my first 'semi-pro' kit, and more than likely something I will be keeping for quite a while, I want to make a good choice, Will you good folks help me break the stalemate?

Thanks a bunch.

I ordered a kit around 4 months ago and it apparently got lost in the mail The shop I ordered through told me I could keep waiting orget a refund and buy a different kit. I shopped around a little and narrowed it down to 4.

All laquered finishes:

Since this is my first 'semi-pro' kit, and more than likely something I will be keeping for quite a while, I want to make a good choice, Will you good folks help me break the stalemate?

Thanks a bunch.

I went into guitar center less than a week ago and hit those Pearl MCX's. Nice sound! But for $1300? Everyone is raving about the Gretsch Catalina Maple. I haven't heard them yet but they must sound as good as the Pearl. And for $800 less!

All laquered finishes:

Thanks a bunch.

Those are quite popular kits, so there will be many videos on Youtube of people playing them. Listen to as many as you can.

Hey, those are all really decent kits. A couple of things to note...

The Tama Superstar Hyper Drive drums are actually a hybrid shell: part birch, and part basswood. So it's not a 100% birch shell, but it is a good kit. I know that the stock heads don't do them justice and should be changed out for a higher quality of head of your choice as soon as possible.

Also, you should take note that the Pearl Masters Custom MCX drums are not considered to be intermediate/middle-grade drums. It's a professional kit of top quality. Apparently the maple shells are exactly the same as the ones used for their Masters Premium series. MCX drums also come with the MasterCast (die cast hoops). The reason the price is closer to intermediate kits is because of the streamlined options, as in fewer finishes and fewer shell depth options. Basically, they're mass-produced high end drums.

I chose the superstars. They are beautiful... Honestly the best kit i have ever played on for the money. The black nickle hardware and the finishes are incredible and the birch shells are LOUD which is perfect for what i play. The attack the short drums deliver is phenomenal. they are so much fun to play on. I have the 6 piece kit.

The Tama Superstar Hyper Drive drums are actually a hybrid shell: part birch, and part basswood. So it's not a 100% birch shell, but it is a good kit. I know that the stock heads don't do them justice and should be changed out for a higher quality of head of your choice as soon as possible.

For cosmetic purposes, the lacquered Superstars have inner & outer basswood plies and the wrapped ones just have an inner ply. I think this is due to the lighter hue, making finishes easier, and/or less variation in the grain structure, so they don't have to spend time & money making sure there's an attractive grain in the visible plies. I do wish they'd must make it birch though; surely having 1 or 2 plies of basswood doesn't reduce their materials cost all that much...? (Someone who'd know, please tell me if you agree/disagree!)

Forgive me for being stupid or blind, either is probably true but...

...What kit did you order before? Why dont you just order that one again?

If you choose that originally then surely you wanted it then so whats changed?

Yours

Adam x

I'm privy to Tama really. I have a Superstar kit and I love it. I do need to change out the stock heads though! THEY ARE TERRIBLE!

Hey, to me if you have the bucks to plunk down and not planning on a new kit for years to come possibly never then if it were me...I would hit that Pearl Masters kit and never look back! It all comes down to your choice, your style, your particular likes about each kit, such as looks, hardware, what else is needed when you get the kit? Does the kit come with or without stands? All in all I would hit up pearl if I had the cash

I went into guitar center less than a week ago and hit those Pearl MCX's. Nice sound! But for $1300? Everyone is raving about the Gretsch Catalina Maple. I haven't heard them yet but they must sound as good as the Pearl. And for $800 less!

I don't think that the Catalina Maples are anywhere near the quality of the pearl MCX.
Not even close. The Renown would be more comparable.

The thing that struck me as odd, and inconsistant on the hyperdrive kits....

Only the rack toms are cut down. Why not the floor toms, and make a shallower kick drum?

Why not a 14x8 and a 16x10 floor tom and a 22x14" kick? That would put the whole kit in hyperdrive mode.

The thing that struck me as odd, and inconsistant on the hyperdrive kits....

Only the rack toms are cut down. Why not the floor toms, and make a shallower kick drum?

Why not a 14x8 and a 16x10 floor tom and a 22x14" kick? That would put the whole kit in hyperdrive mode.

That's what I have always said. I was once considering getting one until I discovered this.

That's what I have always said. I was once considering getting one until I discovered this.

Keith Moon may be the discoverer that instead of getting a punchy staccato note from just single headed toms, why not use a shallow tom with two heads? Punchy and you don't lose all tone.

The idea behind fast and now hyperdrive sizes is the same. Speed, punch, definition. That's also why kick drums stayed at 14" deep forever. I would think that metal dudes would flock to shallower kicks. A 22x18" is one thing, but 22x14" has much less air mass and a quicker punch.

If I were after the hyperdrive effect, the whole kit would function that way. I am not a fan of the hyperdrive look, just because shallow toms look like timbales, and the rest of the kit have standard depths.

Pitch is a function of drum diameter anyway. I think it's the look of shallow floor toms and kick drums that may make drummers feel insecure...even though that would accomplish the effect they are after.

I have the force 2003 Sonor set and i love it with Evans g2's on the batter and g1's on the resonance it sounds sweet!! I don't think that Sonor gets enough credit personally

I have the force 2003 Sonor set and i love it with Evans g2's on the batter and g1's on the resonance it sounds sweet!! I don't think that Sonor gets enough credit personally

Sonor gets a lot of respect and they deserve it. The force series hit the market and you almost NEVER hear a bad word. I have read the sonor museum posts, and even some of the most jaded sonorphiles admit that they are *very* close to the sound of the high end sonor at 1/3 the cost.

Watch out for those MCx's I've read that they have problems fitting certain heads. Not 100% sure but if my memory serves me correctly I think I read it here. Search the site, there should be feedback for all those kits.
Furthermore, personally I would buy a pro used kit in mint condition. Something that is 2-5years old, there are a lot of bargains out there but beware, especially now the way the economy is going it is a buyers market. If you run into a seller who hesitates to remove heads so you can inspect the drum, then, run like the wind.
Go yamaha you will get extreme bang for your buck.

P.s if you do buy new haggle like crazy. Don't pay what they tell you to pay. At the end of the day if you save $200-300 you can buy some nice cymbals to add to your kit.
Good luck.

Back