The big debate: tribute bands - yay or nay!?

Will I go out just to see one? No. Am I against them? Nope.

Obviously seeing the real thing is preferable, but with so many artists/bands, there's just not that option anymore.

Last year I saw The Musical Box playing a replica of Genesis' 1975 Lamb Lies Down On Broadway tour. Not only was it a spectacular show, but tribute bands are the only way anyone is ever going to see that on stage again.

+1 (x3)

...yet when I see a guy in his 50s in leather trousers and an ill-fitting wig trying to look like Jim Morrison I just think it's creepy.

That's my boss you're talkin about!

al_mojo.jpg
http://www.bermudaschwartz.com/images/al_mojo.jpg

Will I go out just to see one? No. Am I against them? Nope, if the people that are doing it are happy who's to say they can't do whatever they want to have fun. I just will not be in the crowd.

That pretty much sums it up for me too.

There was a local tribute band here in Arizona called AZ/DC. I thought the name was clever but I wouldn't go see them.

I enjoy bands that play cover music. I just wouldn't be thrilled by a band that played such a limited selection. 3 or 4 songs by a band that you are really good at covering, cool. A couple of hours? ehh.

And.....I saw a one song tribute band in Rocky Point, Mexico about 30 years ago. The ONLY song the played for three hours was......... LaBamba. Alcohol was involved.

I now play in an Allman Brothers tribute band. It's nice for me as like the music, and people dig it because they like what they know, but honestly, I don't see why anyone would keep coming out to see numerous shows. For me it would get old. But they do, so that's good for the band.

The Fab Faux, a Beatles tribute band, are off the hook great.

I now play in an Allman Brothers tribute band. It's nice for me as like the music, and people dig it because they like what they know, but honestly, I don't see why anyone would keep coming out to see numerous shows. For me it would get old. But they do, so that's good for the band.

The Fab Faux, a Beatles tribute band, are off the hook great.

The thing with the Fab Faux is, nobody sounds like Lennon or McCartney.

That's my boss you're talkin about!

Is that Al Yankovic? I didn't know he did a Doors parody . . . I remember the Michael Jackson and Nirvana parodies doing well over here in the late '80s/early '90s but I'm a bit out of touch with pop music these days. Actually that's a good point - can one consider a parodist a tribute act? Probably the only tribute that gets as much approval from the original artists as he did/does. Either way, his career is somewhat exceptional - especially when compared to the usual Foovana/Guns2Roses/The RollinStoned bands.

I've seen a few tribute bands over the years and been in one myself, I am all for tribute bands as long as they more or less look and sound the part. I've noticed recently more and more tribute bands are just covering the songs, rather than dressing up to look the part. To me, if your a tribute to the Rolling Stones and you go onstage in jeans, t shirt, glasses and a bald head, your covering them, are not a tribute band. I think with some acts you can get away with it. I saw a Bob Dylan tribute, and he's had so many lineups the rest of the band didn't matter. Likewise, I saw a Doors tribute and only the frontman looked like his counterpart in the real band.

With the whole Elvis thing, the market to me is completely saturated and I can't understand why more Elvis Tributes don't attempt the early Elvis look....forget his Las Vegas white jumpsuit era, why not the early Elvis 4 piece Scotty Moore/DJ Fontana lineup, like on the Milton Berle show?

I have no problem with tribute bands and would go to see one if they were good. What I don't like is the way they are promoted in my area. The radio stations will word things to make it sound like you will be seeing the real thing.
Not long ago they were advertising a Van Halen cover band and if you didn't listen VERY carefully you would of thought that it was Dave, Eddie and the boys that you were going to see. I just think that is disrespectful to the orginal artist(s) and I'm suprised lawsuits haven't flown over that.

Firstly...I love live music.I have nothing against studio recordings,but if I can hear it live,it's far and away my preference.I just love the energy and rawness and sound of a live performance.So seeing a good tribute band is something I totally enjoy.

As an example,I have seen the original Beatlemania on Broadway.I have seen 1964,and Rain.These to me are not just tribute bands,but musical,and personal imitators.When go tho their performances,....they BECOME the Beatles.Not just the music,but the vocal imitation,personality,look,and humor of the originals.From a few rows back,you could swear it IS the Beatles.

There is also the great attention to detail,as far as clothing and equipment,which was a big part of the early live sound of the band.To do this well is difficult,and some may say excessive.Not in my opinion.Some of these bands faithfully reproduce the experience of seeing a band that you're not able to ever see again.....Live.

Then there are bands like the Fab Faux,The BBC band,and Wonderous Stories with Godfrey Townsend,that don't dress the part,and just play the music,close to the original,but not spot on,with some....enbellishments.Also great stuff.

The last band I have to mention is The Brain Damaged Eggmen( I would go see a band like that for the name alone),who shall we say..have their own spin on Beatle music.Sorry I don't have the link,but their vid are on youtube.They are in my opinion,talanted and creative..check them out.:)

Steve B

I agree with Bermuda. If it is a band that no longer exists and the tribute is a show, and an "experience" done really well, i'd love to go see them.

I agree with you guys though. There are too many bad tribute acts where the band doesn't try hard enough to look the part, or tries way too hard to look the part and you can't get into it. You either have to play the music really well or look authentic enough without being a parody or bad cover band. Plus you can't have a pun-y name or cheesy rip off logo! IMO.. lol..

Firstly...I love live music.I have nothing against studio recordings,but if I can hear it live,it's far and away my preference.I just love the energy and rawness and sound of a live performance.So seeing a good tribute band is something I totally enjoy.

As an example,I have seen the original Beatlemania on Broadway.I have seen 1964,and Rain.These to me are not just tribute bands,but musical,and personal imitators.When go tho their performances,....they BECOME the Beatles.Not just the music,but the vocal imitation,personality,look,and humor of the originals.From a few rows back,you could swear it IS the Beatles.

There is also the great attention to detail,as far as clothing and equipment,which was a big part of the early live sound of the band.To do this well is difficult,and some may say excessive.Not in my opinion.Some of these bands faithfully reproduce the experience of seeing a band that you're not able to ever see again.....Live.

Then there are bands like the Fab Faux,The BBC band,and Wonderous Stories with Godfrey Townsend,that don't dress the part,and just play the music,close to the original,but not spot on,with some....enbellishments.Also great stuff.

The last band I have to mention is The Brain Damaged Eggmen( I would go see a band like that for the name alone),who shall we say..have their own spin on Beatle music.Sorry I don't have the link,but their vid are on youtube.They are in my opinion,talanted and creative..check them out.:)

Steve B

I agree Steve. I love to hear tribute bands take on the Beatles. That's the greatness of their music is that you can twist it, turn it, throw it off the wall and it's still great. There is a super annual Beatles tribute band festival festival in Lousville, KY every year in June. Close ot over 100 bands I think? John Paul George and (yes!) Ringo forever!

I've loosened up my attitude regarding just about every area of music, including tribute bands. Basically if you can walk out of your house with your instrument and walk back in later with a check in your hand, I'm rooting for you.

Is that Al Yankovic? I didn't know he did a Doors parody . . . I remember the Michael Jackson and Nirvana parodies doing well over here in the late '80s/early '90s but I'm a bit out of touch with pop music these days. Actually that's a good point - can one consider a parodist a tribute act? Probably the only tribute that gets as much approval from the original artists as he did/does. Either way, his career is somewhat exceptional - especially when compared to the usual Foovana/Guns2Roses/The RollinStoned bands.

Not everything we do is a parody, and the Doors thing is an original in the style of the Doors... a pastiche, an homage if you will. A "style parody" as fans began calling such songs many years ago.

We've been referred to as a cover band (bbc.co.uk called us "the world's greatest cover band") but never a tribute act. But the writers/artists say they are flattered by Al's versions, so we've obviously hit a home run with them.

Bermuda

I've only gone to see a tribute act one time. It was the Iron Maidens, an all girl tribute band. A KISS tribute band opened up for them and they were pretty cool too. I wouldn't say that I would want to specifically be in a tribute band, but hey, whatever floats your boat. If it meant a better paycheck than the one I'm getting now, you bet I'd do it if the long-term outlook looked promising.

I've since changed my mind. It would be somewhat degrading, but if the money was good, maybe. Really hard to say. It would have to be a damn good band.

Last edited:
Not everything we do is a parody, and the Doors thing is an original in the style of the Doors... a pastiche, an homage if you will. A "style parody" as fans began calling such songs many years ago.

It's great too. That was my favourite at the show. Keen on the Star Wars spoof too :)

Not many do style parody - Zappa, early Tubes, Bonzo Doo Dah ... is Al the only well known act doing that now?

We've been referred to as a cover band (bbc.co.uk called us "the world's greatest cover band") but never a tribute act. But the writers/artists say they are flattered by Al's versions, so we've obviously hit a home run with them.

Bermuda
You know, it wasn't until this post that I've seriously considered wanting to see a Weird Al concert. I've always enjoyed the songs you guys do. But now I'm convinced. I've got to see a Weird Al show sometime soon. I think it would be fun. Even if I have to stand alone way in the back.

Bermuda

The whole family are a big fan of Weird Al's parodies, sheer fun and entertainement at it's best, Al's so great at capturing a caricatural aspect of an artist song with such a touch of fun, it's irresitible, I would love to see a concert :)

Back