Our 'Other' Drums

I have a few "tambourines" that I am learning to play. Here is my Cooperman Glen Velez Mediterrasian 11" with a REMO Weatherking head and a double row of 5 nickle silver jingle sets.

GJS

Attachments

• Cooperman Mediterrasian 20% 1.jpg
    Cooperman Mediterrasian 20% 1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 4,203
  • Cooperman Mediterrasian 20% 2.jpg
    Cooperman Mediterrasian 20% 2.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 4,178
  • Cooperman Mediterrasian 20% 3.jpg
    Cooperman Mediterrasian 20% 3.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 4,145
Here is my Indian Kanjira with a monitor lizzard skin. It is a pretty old Kanjira but in excellent condition (I would not have bought it if it was new since the monitor lizzard is an endangered species). The skin is exceptionally thin and when wet, it becomes very pliable so that you can "bend" the pitch the way a guitarist bends his strings.

GJS

Attachments

• Kanjira 20% 1.jpg
    Kanjira 20% 1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 4,073
  • Kanjira 20% 2.jpg
    Kanjira 20% 2.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 4,093
Here is my Ghaval from Pakistan.

GJS

Attachments

• Ghaval 20% 1.jpg
    Ghaval 20% 1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 4,125
  • Ghaval 20% 2.jpg
    Ghaval 20% 2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 4,047
  • Ghaval 20% 3.jpg
    Ghaval 20% 3.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 4,093
16 inch Remo Djembe. I luv the tones of this drum.

2s7dr4l.jpg

Here is my Indian Kanjira with a monitor lizzard skin. It is a pretty old Kanjira but in excellent condition (I would not have bought it if it was new since the monitor lizzard is an endangered species). The skin is exceptionally thin and when wet, it becomes very pliable so that you can "bend" the pitch the way a guitarist bends his strings.

GJS

Where/how did you get a hold of this kanjira? I'd love to get one but my traditional indian connections don't go beyond Tablas and dholaks.

[QUOTE}

Could someone tell me that this thing is called?
339258884.jpg

I really should stop referring to it as "That spinny thingy with the little doodads that hit the heads"

I know what it is.
It's called a tibetian temble drum.
Priests in Tibet use them when the do religious activities[/QUOTE]

It is also used by street performers in India as musical accompaniment to their schtik

peterlauphoto544a.jpg

peterlauphoto547a.jpg

9"shell-less compact conga, cajon bass-drum, pedal-ring(Pedal tambourine),mini egg shaker,16" hand-drums, 6"mini djembe

I know this is an old thread, but it's still on here, so here it goes.

Here a few of the "other" percussion instruments I have accumulataed over the years.

This is four sets of Water Buffalo bells. The hardest part of acquiring them was to get the water buffalos to hold still so I could get them off :).

drum picks 001.jpg

This is an accumulation of some of my non drum kit percussion ranging from dumbek (far left) to congas, bongos, concert toms, timbalis, various wood blocks, etc. I've used most of them in pit orchestra work (got tired of trying to borrow them). The concert toms are quite old and the next to largest is actually a 9-1/2". It needed a new head and I had to have one custom made by Remo. No one believed that this was the actual size untill I took it to find a head. I acquired these and all of the Ludwig drums from my retired college band director before he passed away.

One of the fun things about these is that none of the stands come out of my three drum sets so they don't interfere with the set up of any of them.

drum picks 004.jpg

I know what it is.
It's called a tibetian temble drum.
Priests in Tibet use them when the do religious activities

It is also used by street performers in India as musical accompaniment to their schtik

I've always heard them called Prayer drums. I picked one up at the Japanese pavillion at Epcot a few years ago. It's definately a favorite of mine.

Here are my congas:
3.jpg
and my doumbek photo was too big to fit in this post so if you desperately wanna see my doumbek, go to my photo album labled "My Hot Stuff".

Some Toca Bongo's. They're entry level and don't have the best sound, but they get the job done.

drumz002.jpg

And my Remo 25x14 Djembe in a Nickel Silver Finish. This thing sounds awesome, the bass notes are huge, and they project very well, and the open notes and slaps, are clean and loud, with a wonderful tone.

drumz003-1.jpg

Some of my collection of noise machinery, far from all of it!

Lots of cowbells, I've always been a fan of cowbells...the ago-ago looking bell is from Africa and you're only supposed to play the small bell, the large bell on it is only for battle!

I also have a thing for tambourines and maracas...and microphones, and snares, and and and...

Attachments

• 100_3539.JPG
    100_3539.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 2,785
  • 100_3541.JPG
    100_3541.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 2,773
  • 100_3543.JPG
    100_3543.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 2,741
  • 100_3544.JPG
    100_3544.JPG