Why aren't more people playing BIG bass drums?

Vinnie Paul used to play 26x26 in Panterra, but he used a lot of processing to get "his" sound.

26 deep would start to sound like a single headed drum with only a little "oomm" at the end of the boom.

With it that deep, you would have to play it harder than the 18 or 20" deep to get a consistently solid sound.

It would probably sound decent, but the actual note of the drum would be pretty long, so doing anything other than AC/DC type kick patterns would get the attack, but less bottom end.
You could put the mic closer to the head a few inches inside the hole, but that defeats the purpose of having a deeper drum--other than for the looks.

With the 20x26 I can keep the mic AT the hole (not inside) and get a good solid, natural sound with a great balance of attack and nice tone.

I know Larrie Londin had some 22 & 24x30" deep drums for recording, but he was able to have a couple mics on the kick, and fool around with the distance from the head etc..
I have some pics of them--they were pretty cool looking.
He used a set for his Pearl promo pic before he went to DW.

Alex Van Halen used 28" deep 24's and 26" kicks live, but his always ended up single headed, so they don't count--unless you want to go single headed on a 26x26....
For rock or metal, it would look cool.

There was a guy in Detroit that used 2 30x30" bass drums custom made by Ludwig (Gunner Ross-Strut, Ted Nugent, Blackfoot...).
His drums sounded really huge though the PA, but like crap unmiked.
They didn't translate well over the radio either..lots of attack and hardly any depth, but in person, they sounded pretty dang cool.
I've seen Gunner a few times I always wondered what size bass drums those were I also remembered he used to put cannons on top of his bass drums.I liked some of Strut's stuff but my fav is his playing on "Fred Bear" by Ted Nugent Funny story I remember seeing him @ Jaggers an old bar back in the 80's and he was playing and singing "Shake Me'" by Cinderella and he sounded just like the lead singer it was pretty crazy.I'm not a member of the 26" club just yet I only have a 24" I do plan on getting a 26" bass soon through.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

I've seen Gunner a few times I always wondered what size bass drums those were I also remembered he used to put cannons on top of his bass drums.I liked some of Strut's stuff but my fav is his playing on "Fred Bear" by Ted Nugent Funny story I remember seeing him @ Jaggers an old bar back in the 80's and he was playing and singing "Shake Me'" by Cinderella and he sounded just like the lead singer it was pretty crazy.I'm not a member of the 26" club just yet I only have a 24" I do plan on getting a 26" bass soon through.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

Ahhhh...yes, the cannon...

The good ol days hahaha!
He used som giant sticks too, I think they were VF marching sticks, he used some big Bunken sticks too--almost got hit by a flying broken one too (at New York New York! remember that place?!--Geeze I played there a million times...and the Ritz OMG....ahhhh!)

Jaggers...I think that used to be called Bobby T's after that, and now it's TNT's if it's the same place.
15 and Harper right by I-94?
That place has had a few sortta big acts for being a smaller place.

That big fill in Fred bear is a cool one.
The playing is good through the tune, but that fill is cool.
Gunner is a good guy--he's still around playing too I hear.

Ahhhh...yes, the cannon...

The good ol days hahaha!
He used som giant sticks too, I think they were VF marching sticks, he used some big Bunken sticks too--almost got hit by a flying broken one too (at New York New York! remember that place?!--Geeze I played there a million times...and the Ritz OMG....ahhhh!)

Jaggers...I think that used to be called Bobby T's after that, and now it's TNT's if it's the same place.
15 and Harper right by I-94?
That place has had a few sortta big acts for being a smaller place.

That big fill in Fred bear is a cool one.
The playing is good through the tune, but that fill is cool.
Gunner is a good guy--he's still around playing too I hear.
Jaggers was in the Pontiac-Waterford area but hear some other clubs.........Blondies(S---Hole LOL),the Token Lounge,Harpos & the Hayloft which are still going I believe these are just a few. If only we could relive the Big 80's again LOL.I better stop dating myself LOL.thanks for the Trip down memory lane.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

i play a 24'' and i'm perfectly happy with it. does that count as a big drum? lol. 26'' sounds like it'd be a monster though!

A 24 counts as a big bass in my book.

Bonzo....The Hayloft is gone now--just recently, but everything moved over to the Emerald Theatre.
It turned into a dueling Piano bar for about 5 seconds, now it's something else.
At least when they had bands there the last few years they made the stage pretty big with a real drum riser that could fit a kit.

Blondies, and gigs there with Seduce...ah the memories....The Ritz and the crappy dressing rooms....
Harpo's...played there 4 or 5 times...not NOW though jeeeze...it's reminding me of the chick with no panties doing cartwheels...mmm.....hahaha!....she got carried out.

How about the Studio Lounge? or Traxx?
I-Rock played there a million times too...fun place, crappy area now though.

Blondie's is reopening in downtown Detroit, but I'm not sure if it's going to be a rock club.

you know i talked a LOT of crap about having to try to transport my kit in my 2002 Sebring...well it all fits fine. lol. i wouldnt have ever guessed...kick the passenger seat back a bit, angle the bass just right and it goes in there fine....tom, tom, snare in the back seat in a row....cymbals in the trunk....stands on the floor in the back seat. :) not for everyone obviously, but for me (with proper cushioning) it worked fine and again, i never thought i could have done it! lol...it was like CHRISTMAS when i figured out that the bass drum fit in the passenger seat. :) :) :) so unless you're driving a festiva, you might be better off than you think! :)

A 24 counts as a big bass in my book.

Bonzo....The Hayloft is gone now--just recently, but everything moved over to the Emerald Theatre.
It turned into a dueling Piano bar for about 5 seconds, now it's something else.
At least when they had bands there the last few years they made the stage pretty big with a real drum riser that could fit a kit.

Blondies, and gigs there with Seduce...ah the memories....The Ritz and the crappy dressing rooms....
Harpo's...played there 4 or 5 times...not NOW though jeeeze...it's reminding me of the chick with no panties doing cartwheels...mmm.....hahaha!....she got carried out.

How about the Studio Lounge? or Traxx?
I-Rock played there a million times too...fun place, crappy area now though.

Blondie's is reopening in downtown Detroit, but I'm not sure if it's going to be a rock club.
That's funny played the Ritz and the I-Rock forgot about the I-Rock & the Studio Lounge
I've got a simular story except there was a cat fight and one of the chicks was wearing a french-maid costume and we were playing our set the french maid chick got pushed down and fell on her back and surprise she wasn't. wearing any panties also.those days back then were pretty crazy lots of foggy memories LOL.and with Blondies anything is a improvement LOL

Bonzolead

How about this set up. The bass is a 28 x 14 Premier marching bass and the toms are Ludwigs. This kick has a huge boom to it!!!

Attachments

• bigdrum.jpg
    bigdrum.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 2,438
How about this set up. The bass is a 28 x 14 Premier marching bass and the toms are Ludwigs. This kick has a huge boom to it!!!
SWEET!! My kind of DRUM man!!! If you look around you can find Ludwig marching kicks too, they were very popular and make for a good rehab project as they are usually in good shape for sound, but beat up cosmetically. Some new wrap or refinish the shell and a few parts and you're good to go!! Quick, painless and sonically devastating!!

I've seen used and cheap marching percussion in all sizes from 18 to 32 inch kicks. The 32 is a Gretsch in Blue Sparkle, Hmmm, I wonder if it's still there? Bigger IS better . . . right?

Most respect the badge, but all fear the drum.

That looks great. Heads are probably a little harder to find though........huh?

That looks great. Heads are probably a little harder to find though........huh?
If you go to a shop that deals with a lot of Marching Percussion with Schools they'll have a bunch of stuff in stock. But most stores will order anything you would want, or there's always the Internet!!

If you go to a shop that deals with a lot of Marching Percussion with Schools they'll have a bunch of stuff in stock. But most stores will order anything you would want, or there's always the Internet!!

Very true. All major brands make a 28" head. Just gotta click on the marching links instead of drum kit links on their websites to find the big dogs...

My 26x16 is easier to transport than my 22x18. The difference is the depth. I love the 26" although I think a 24x14 would be perfect though. The 26" just isn't all that great for tight grooves, but for jazz it works great for me. I think a 28" would be fun, particularly an old 40's Radio King. Personally, I think a drum has to be over 22" to be considered a 'bass drum' instead of a 'kick drum'.

I have two kits with 24's and I get excited every time I sit down and thump the kick for the first time...almost as if I'm surprised how thunderous it is. Never going back unless I have to for some reason.

Does 24" x 20" count? I've been eyeing the new Ludwig Centennial kits they offer a 4-piece (my fav) shell pack with a 24' x 20" bass drum,12" x 8" tom,16" x 15" floor-tom and a 14" x 6.5" snare for under a $1000 us there have 100% american maple shells,the mini Ludwig lugs,and a virgin bass drum and a laquire sparkle finish(looks stunning).I know there made in Taiwan but I can't. afford a maple classic kit in those sizes it would run about 3-times as much and there still a American company so hopefully there's not too many haters out there.Give you insight anyway good or bad on this decision I haven't. made my mind up yet.

Thanks,
Bonzolead

Back