Mapex Saturn lV - drum nirvana??

You need to change your wallpaper. It clashes with your drums!

Congrats!

You need to change your wallpaper. It clashes with your drums!

Congrats!

Hhhaaa right? Those are the wall coverings we chose for the band room.
Thanks.

This is mine shortly after I brought them home. It's about the best shot I could get since they are set up right against the wall but I'm trying to empty out the room so they can be moved out a bit.
Nice! Saturn owners know.

Do you have all your badges facing the right way? Just making' sure ;)

Nice kit!

Re: Mapex Saturn lV ..

I'm gonna try to get Saturn lV outdoor pics up soon with shorty rant n review.

My story was that I got a Black Panther Black Widow kit just 5-6 months before I got the Saturns, and thought the BP kit was all I ever wanted. It was a good allround kit, but soundwise, the Saturns offered so much more, to my ears. More of my desired sound. I play only heavy metal and beyond at the moment, and the Saturns perform excellent for that. So I lost a bit of money when I sold the BP kit shortly after, but that's the way it is...

I'm surprised the other companies aren't copying Saturn's formula. The inner ply of walnut is a grand slam. It's supporters are almost rabid, that says a lot.

Sticks was right.

I ended up getting a Velvetone kit and I have to say that the Walnut/ Maple blend is beautiful to the ears. You get the high and mid tone punch from the outer Maple plys then this nice fat bottom end from the walnut core. It makes the smaller toms seem like much bigger drums than they really are. I'd say the sound is punchy upfront but is silky smooth on the decay. They respond to a huge amount of tuning ranges from high to low and don't lose any of the bottom end when tuned high. Because of that it almost tricks your ear into thinking they're tuned lower.

I play metal and rock mostly but this kit will really handle any genre you throw at it. You can have all the punch you need but also bring it way back and do some lower dynamic stuff with ease.

Anyways the point is the maple/walnut shells ROCK! Mapex has something really good in their hands with these hybrid shells.

I own the special edition birch walnut kit and if you told me in the morning before I went to Dales drum shop that was gonna be the kit I came home with I would have told you that you were crazy.

Dales had a set of DW collectors set up, a Tama Bubinga, Ludwig Classic Maples, Yamaha absolutes and the Mapex kit set up.

The Mapex finish was gorgeous. I planned on buying the Ludwigs that day so I went right behind them. I spent a while, soaking in the sound, enjoying myself.

I figured why not try these other kits because how many times can I A/B these kits?

A while on the Tamas, to the DWs, the Yamahas and finally the Saturns. I did not believe the sound I was getting from them. I, personally preferred the Saturns more than any other kit overall.

I didnt think this was possible. I had better go back to the Ludwigs.... so I did. And I still prederred the Mapex. I went through the other kits and sat back down at the Mapex.

What the Hell is going on?

I had a guy that worked there play the Saturns while I stood back and listened from 15 feet away. Same with the DWs and the Ludwigs.

I was dumbfounded.

I had to think about this so me and the wife went and grabbed something to eat.

I came back and sat at them again and told the guy to pack them up.

I have never for one moment regretted it.

This still sounds crazy to me, but to my ears the Mapex overall was the best kit sitting there that day. Then, tearing it down I noticed the shocks on the floor tom legs. What a cool feature.

I cant say enough about this kit. Mapex is a player in my eyes. The only kit there that was clearly superior was an SQ2 Sonor kit but thats not fair because those are mind blowing and they were out of my pricing point.

I own the special edition birch walnut kit and if you told me in the morning before I went to Dales drum shop that was gonna be the kit I came home with I would have told you that you were crazy.

Dales had a set of DW collectors set up, a Tama Bubinga, Ludwig Classic Maples, Yamaha absolutes and the Mapex kit set up.

The Mapex finish was gorgeous. I planned on buying the Ludwigs that day so I went right behind them. I spent a while, soaking in the sound, enjoying myself.

I figured why not try these other kits because how many times can I A/B these kits?

A while on the Tamas, to the DWs, the Yamahas and finally the Saturns. I did not believe the sound I was getting from them. I, personally preferred the Saturns more than any other kit overall.

I didnt think this was possible. I had better go back to the Ludwigs.... so I did. And I still prederred the Mapex. I went through the other kits and sat back down at the Mapex.

What the Hell is going on?

I had a guy that worked there play the Saturns while I stood back and listened from 15 feet away. Same with the DWs and the Ludwigs.

I was dumbfounded.

I had to think about this so me and the wife went and grabbed something to eat.

I came back and sat at them again and told the guy to pack them up.

I have never for one moment regretted it.

This still sounds crazy to me, but to my ears the Mapex overall was the best kit sitting there that day. Then, tearing it down I noticed the shocks on the floor tom legs. What a cool feature.

I cant say enough about this kit. Mapex is a player in my eyes. The only kit there that was clearly superior was an SQ2 Sonor kit but thats not fair because those are mind blowing and they were out of my pricing point.

I wish I could have bought a set in that blue finish. Can I see some pictures of your kit?

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Attachments

• saturnsmay1.JPG
    saturnsmay1.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,213
Showin some big love for Saturn. I feel pretty much the same with my kit. Best sounding performing kit I have owned .. tics all the boxes!

Last edited:
I tell y'all what tho...

These dang drums are amazing me. Spend some time behind my kit, in front of my kit, with the band @ volume!
Just crushed again at rehearsal, earlier today.! Took another tripod along
and slid my 16 KDark crash into my kit. LOVE my K darks. Noticing now
how many 16" I use in my regular set up (sans splashes) My slightly more aggressive core and the dark, punchy power of the fabulous Mapex Saturn MH shells. One would think that shells as thin as Saturn lVs would be resonant but not project particularly well..better suited mic'd studio/live. Theses drums let you push it hard and they give it ALL back ! Round musical and punch to spare. I finding this kit delivering my personal voice. I think until you play one, it's just words
The walnut/maple/walnut =ll= Horiz/vert/horiz lay up and the over all tight roundness, beautiful build and what I will again say.... Signature tones that just flat out floors me and band mates.. I'm thinking... New Benchmark? Check Y =yes.

Last edited:
You're turning into the new Mapex cheerleader around here. Have to admit though, I sat down with my Saturns this morning and was grinning ear to ear.

I have the previous edition Saturns in the 6-pc Studioease configuration as well. For the overall durability, sound, lacquered finishes, and price point, they are probably the best value on the market. The tuning range I get out of all the drums is unbelievable. The new(er) Mapex Falcon hardware is real nice too.

I just bought a Ludwig Keystone kit because I'm returning to a more vintage rock sound and look for my cover band, however the Saturns are the best kit I ever bought and had in the 26 years of my drumming. I use them for everything from live to recording.

You're turning into the new Mapex cheerleader around here. Have to admit though, I sat down with my Saturns this morning and was grinning ear to ear.
I guess I am. Can't help that. Really enjoying my new drum set!

I have the previous edition Saturns in the 6-pc Studioease configuration as well. For the overall durability, sound, lacquered finishes, and price point, they are probably the best value on the market. The tuning range I get out of all the drums is unbelievable. The new(er) Mapex Falcon hardware is real nice too.

I just bought a Ludwig Keystone kit because I'm returning to a more vintage rock sound and look for my cover band, however the Saturns are the best kit I ever bought and had in the 26 years of my drumming. I use them for everything from live to recording.
This kit is proving to be one I will enjoy for the rest of my life.

Messed with tuning the Saturn lV snare. I need to do a thread on this snare drum. Wow.. Impressive. Medium/high tension w/stock USA REMO heads. Brilliant drum! Always a fan of the Panther snares. The wanutty/maple of the Saturn lV formula shell makes for a nicely articulate ghosty to nailin down nutz and missing nothing type drum. The 14x6.5 is a sleeper. Word! Hahaa crap..
Saturn was hiding in plain sight!

Last edited:
These are Saturn V's got these for my wife, we cant stop looking at them.

Attachments

• Saturn v.JPG
    Saturn v.JPG
    397.4 KB · Views: 733
  • DSCN4391.JPG
    DSCN4391.JPG
    330.6 KB · Views: 786
Congrats pearlygates! I'm sure you're sill enjoying them. I never thought much about Mapex until I played on a Saturn IV. Such a great sound. Definitely a fan now :)

I have a bead on a used 7 piece Saturn for $799. Seems like a too good to be true price. They tell me it's in mint condition. I'm not a Mapex expert. I'm thinking these are Saturn IV. Does anyone know for sure? Is $799 (USD) a steal? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG950622.jpg
    IMG950622.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG950624.jpg
    IMG950624.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG950626.jpg
    IMG950626.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 412
Back