My Customized Saturn Gigging Kit

B

Balto

Well I tried out for a local cover band a couple of months ago. I made the cut. I had an extra white gigging kit just waiting in the wings for when this happened. The name of the new band is "2 Dollar Bills". Inspired by Mike Portnoy's Albino Monster kit, I came up with a fun way to show off the bands name with my kit. I have a buddy in Quebec who does custom graphics. I got him to print me up 4 different sizes of 1954, Canadian two dollar bills. I stripped the hardware off of the kit, and came up with this!
IMG_3370.jpg

IMG_3372.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

VERY nice!

I'm not usually keen on such things but I think it looks great on the black/white sceme.

VERY nice!

I'm not usually keen on such things but I think it looks great on the black/white sceme.
Thanks. I printed off a nice pic of Mike's Albino kit recently, so I kind of knew what to expect.
Hanging the stickers off of the edges and under lugs, in random patterns, gave it that paint job of wrap look.

Nice idea. How are they adhered? Just clingy vinyl, or did you have to glue them on?
They are automotive grade vinyl stickers. I have a friend in Quebec Canada http://www.autoconceptdesign.com/ They are the same stick on graphics you see on cars and trucks. He can print anything you like on vinyl. He does some really cool bass drum graphics as well.

Don't you have to be careful of counterfeiting charges?

I have a retail store (candy and gifts) and we give out $2 (US) in change all the time. Part of my "Spechiel", I sometimes tell the customers to "be careful and don't smear them. They still may be a little wet." This usually gets a laugh, but on one occasion, I had a group of well dressed ladies in business attire and brief cases in the store. I used this joke on one of them and she looked across the counter and said, "You'd better be careful who you tell that to" and I replied, "Why, are you with the Treasury Department?" At which time, she pulled out HER BADGE! Fortunately, she could tell I was joking and I could tell she was also.

Do tell how you adhered the graphics to your drums. I might like to try something similar.

Do tell how you adhered the graphics to your drums. I might like to try something similar.
They are self adhesive, automotive grade graphics. Just peel and place, being careful to not have air bubbles. I had my son help me. He does this course at school. I placed one end where I wanted the sticker, and held the rest away from the shell. He then pushed the sticker into the shell with a felt tipped flat edge that was supplied with the stickers.

That is an awesome looking kit!! Not only that I think you are MUCH more creative than some big name bands that only do something on the bass drum. I would bet that your band appreciates that and visually its very appealing. Kudos and I bet it sounds great!

That is an awesome looking kit!! Not only that I think you are MUCH more creative than some big name bands that only do something on the bass drum. I would bet that your band appreciates that and visually its very appealing. Kudos and I bet it sounds great!
Hey buddy. Thanks very much for your kind words. I showed it to the band last week and they all loved it.

That actually looks pretty cool. I especially like the carefully placed "random" bills = great attention to detail. The whole scheme works well on the white background. Somehow, I feel the bass drum head detracts slightly from the impact of the shell decals, perhaps if it covered more of the head, or all of it? Ideally, I think the bill decals in monochrome would have had an even greater impact because of the black on white kit colour scheme, but the coloured bills work well too.

So songs about money must be at least a part of the set list? These off the top of my head..

Money, The Beatles version
She Works Hard for the Money, Donna Summer
Money, Pink Floyd
Mony Mony, Tommy James & The Shondells
Big Money, ooh a Rush one
Money for Nothing, Dire Straits... good drum solo intro

Etc., etc.

That actually looks pretty cool. I especially like the carefully placed "random" bills = great attention to detail. The whole scheme works well on the white background. Somehow, I feel the bass drum head detracts slightly from the impact of the shell decals, perhaps if it covered more of the head, or all of it? Ideally, I think the bill decals in monochrome would have had an even greater impact because of the black on white kit colour scheme, but the coloured bills work well too.

Hey KIS. Thanks for the kind words. I liked the color just to help the stickers pop a bit more. Either one I think would work well on the white. I was a little concerned about the black reel, and sticker combo also. I might try a white one, or even a full bass head graphic in the future.

So songs about money must be at least a part of the set list? These off the top of my head..

Money, The Beatles version
She Works Hard for the Money, Donna Summer
Money, Pink Floyd
Mony Mony, Tommy James & The Shondells
Big Money, ooh a Rush one
Money for Nothing, Dire Straits... good drum solo intro

Etc., etc.
Good point. We do 3, 12 song sets, but none talk about money. I will bring it up at next rehearsal. :)

Nice and interesting. I thought $2 bills were only a U.S. thing but I guess not...

I thought you guys called them loonies... and they're coins. Or am I thinking of $1?

And you guys actually USE your $2 pieces... Ours are practically collectors items.

I thought you guys called them loonies... and they're coins. Or am I thinking of $1?

And you guys actually USE your $2 pieces... Ours are practically collectors items.

They stopped making two dollar bills some years back, and replaced them with two dollar coins, that we slangly call Toonies. Back in the 80's, we replaced the one dollar bill with a one dollar coin, we call a loonie

Back