Marking gear for drum rack?

drumkiller77

Just bought my first drum rack and i love it! But was curious what some guys are doing to mark cymbal arms to rack clamps..obviously i want sonething thats not toooo obvious,,any input be great,,just tryin to be efficient ith set ups,,thanx

I never removed the clamps from my rack. I had a Pearl DR-100, and all I did is fold it. So, I never numbered the clamps. Just a label (Dymo makes the most affordable label maker, $25) with a number on it. I affixed those right above the memory clamp, on all the upright tubes. If you want to change out a pipe, easy enough to make a new label. The #1 pipe went into the first clamp on the left, then clockwise to the #8 pipe into the last clamp on the right. I used that system, for a good 8 years.​

Agree with the Sharpie™, just number the pieces at the points where they go together. That is, once the cymbal arm is in the mount, number the mount and cymbal arm right next to each other, so if they don't match, it would be obvious. Same for tom arms. If someone else is setting up your kit, you'll also want to number the cymbals under the cup, so they end up on the correct cymabl arm. Otherwise, you probably know where they go! :)

Bermuda

I personally would avoid marking up any of your gear with any kind of permanent marker, especially if you might decide to sell it later. When I was using my rack (I'm actually going to be selling it soon) I always left the clamps in their place so I wouldn't have to fiddle around with where they were supposed to be, kind of like memory locks.

I don't think the OP was talking about removing the clamps, only making sure the correct tubes/arms get matched up. Also, I have yet to find a permanent marker that's actually permanent when it comes to marking chromed metal. A little lighter fluid and a paper towel will remove any unwanted marks.

Bermuda

I don't think the OP was talking about removing the clamps, only making sure the correct tubes/arms get matched up. Also, I have yet to find a permanent marker that's actually permanent when it comes to marking chromed metal. A little lighter fluid and a paper towel will remove any unwanted marks.

Bermuda
You mean like how each cymbal boom/whatever goes in the correct place on the rack?

You mean like how each cymbal boom/whatever goes in the correct place on the rack?

Exactly. The mounts normally stay on the rack where they're set, that's part of what makes a rack convenient, and allows for consistent setup.

Bermuda

Exactly. The mounts normally stay on the rack where they're set, that's part of what makes a rack convenient, and allows for consistent setup.

Bermuda

Ah. In that case, I haven't really had too much trouble in that department because my cymbal arms were either set up differently enough for me to easily tell them apart, or they were set up exactly the same so it didn't matter which one I used.

When I used a rack, I left as much of it together as I could, including clamps and cymbal arms. But I also would use colored tape, it was like electrical tape, got it at wal mart I think, it comes off easy but sticks well. I used that and marked on the tape with lines to indicate where things would line up at. Worked really well for me. I used red tape for the right side and blue tape for the left side. The middle part of the rack always stayed assembled.

Thanx guys for the input. Think i will try the marker thing. Unfortunately im the only one with a truck at the moment so tryin to load the rack with all arms in prolly wont work.due to me being nice and moving other peoples gear also,(stupid people with strings) Im leaving clamps on rack,just removing arms by the way.

Back