Pork Pie Hip Pig Eastern Mahogany Snare

rustyfingers

MF has the Pork Pie Hip Pig Eastern Mahogany Snare for 99 bucks. Good buy, bad buy?

13x7 Eastern Mahogany....

Thanks,
Dennis

It's a STEAL! I ordered one immediately - get one before they're gone!

Bermuda

Not to be confused with the Little Squealer line, the Hip Pig stuff is cool.

Bermuda

I'm pretty tempted by this. No one around here has one to try, so I tried to find some videos/reviews.
Didn't come up with too much, but the Pork Pie Facebook page implies that they're almost sold out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pork-Pie-Percussion/390327990267

They also link to the only video I could find of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6O70Rj7kCQ
EDIT: further down the FB page is another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVd1Un6_I9Q

Sounds good.
They normally go for somewhere around $250, I guess.

Bought mine as soon as I saw this post! Stoked to try it out! Should contrast well with my Pork Pie Patina Brass

I got mine in today and I am MORE than pleased with the purchase. Finish is great and the drum sounds fantastic! I have it tuned pretty tight with factory heads and I really enjoy it.

Got it!! :)

porkpie.jpg

A little tuning on the batter (and a lot on the reso) and this drum sounds great! Going on a gig Friday for its debut!

Bermuda

Awesome! Mine should be arriving friday. We should have a pork pie hip pig group haha. Any chance you can throw up a lil recording of the snare?

Woooh! It has arrived. Tuned it real quick and wow! The best snare drum for $99! Sorry Acrolite fans. This pork pie has more crack than a plumbers....yeah. The first tuning I had it all cranked up. Reso cranked tight with batter cranked about 1/4 less than reso. It had such a nice woody crack with no excessive ring. I usually crank my snares but with this one there wasn't a need to do it so much. Second tuning I lowered both sides tension and its much better. You get a nice woody tone with no loss of crack. All with the stock heads and wires! Pork pie really knocked it out of the park with this one.

A quick check reveals... that these are sold out. I wish I hadn't hesitated.

The reason why is that I have far too many wood-shelled snares and I think my next one should probably be a metal-shelled (preferably brass) one. I already have a Pork Pie Big Black and love it, so I was hoping the PP Black Friday Special would be something like a 5" x 14" brass shell, but no luck.

Enjoy your Hip Pig 13s! I'm jealous!

I bought this snare the day it was offered on Cyber Monday. It came last Friday and I really like this snare.

I would be interested to hear how people are tuning this drum with a drum dial. Right now I have the reso head at about 83 and the batter head at 88.

Has a really nice sound, especially for $99! I had been looking for a 13x7 snare for awhile. I will be interested to hear what other think once they start using it.

Also, it looks like this snare was only available in small quantities and is now gone from all the places I first saw it (Musician's Friend, Amazon, Guitar Center). Anyone know what the deal is on this? Was it just a short run? Are they going to continue to offer it?

I almost got one of these at least 6 times, that's how tempted I was. However I didn't know how much, if any, improvement this would have been over my 13X7 Ddrum Dominion Maple snare.

How is the Pork Pie sounding for rock / hard rock?

You guys might want to keep looking for this deal. I just ordered one from MF for $99. I didn't see any more but one might surface.

Just a little update. MF sent a refund without telling me why or asking if I wanted a rain check. No word from them at all. They just kind of snuck it under the door. They've lost my business forever.

I've been using mine over the last several days of gigs, and it's pretty nice! Looks great with an Onyx head, although that's not my first choice for batters.

porkpie2.jpg

I found that it chokes when hit hard, both with the stock Remo (Taiwan) heads, and the Evans as well... although they're a bit more forgiving. I guess it's just not a hard rockin' snare, but at moderate levels, it's sweet and expressive!

Bermuda

Last edited:
Just a little update. MF sent a refund without telling me why or asking if I wanted a rain check. No word from them at all. They just kind of snuck it under the door. They've lost my business forever.

I'd email them and see if you can work out a deal on something else.

On the bright side, at least they sent your money back. Isn't that a good thing?

I'd email them and see if you can work out a deal on something else.

I tried that. They just sent an email saying how sorry they were for the inconvenience. I had left work early so that I could make sure that the package arrived safely. I found out about the cancellation through PayPal not MF. I'm going to "inconvenient" them by never shopping there again. Kissing that much money away will be really inconvenient for them.

Back