9X13 floor tom? Sensible?

Blisco

I've been hunting for a 14X14 for my Keystone kit to no avail. The finish is discontinued. I could buy a brand new one for $400 and re-wrap it but for that cost, I'm not really in love with it.

Came across a 9X13 that I could re-wrap. Much cheaper but I would need one additional Atlas mount (comes with one and I have a spare) and 3 legs. Probably about the same as getting the 14X14 in the end. But....the idea of a small left side tom is kinda cool.

In either case, a case and a microphone would be needed. This becomes a $500 project and I probably can't get an exact match for the finish too.

This feels like a really neat idea that makes no sense. Talk me out of it? (I can cover any song with my 10/12/16 two up one down 5 piece btw)

I've been hunting for a 14X14 for my Keystone kit to no avail. The finish is discontinued. I could buy a brand new one for $400 and re-wrap it but for that cost, I'm not really in love with it.

Came across a 9X13 that I could re-wrap. Much cheaper but I would need one additional Atlas mount (comes with one and I have a spare) and 3 legs. Probably about the same as getting the 14X14 in the end. But....the idea of a small left side tom is kinda cool.

In either case, a case and a microphone would be needed. This becomes a $500 project and I probably can't get an exact match for the finish too.

This feels like a really neat idea that makes no sense. Talk me out of it? (I can cover any song with my 10/12/16 two up one down 5 piece btw)

I've got a 14x10 on one of my kits and the legs are barely long enough to get to the right height. Are you short? Sit low?

I'd say wait for the right 14 floor tom. Its up to you but nice to have a good deeper note down there on the floor. A 13 just isn't it, and not much separation from the 12 from pitchwise.

Yeah, this drum would cost too much, not offer much in terms of playing (except for some U2) and probably be awkward. I'm not short (6'2") but I set up pretty low. This 9" depth could be just a bit too low with no adjustment to angle it towards me.

I'm convinced. Cool thought, bad idea.

The search continues....thanks guys

Back