Conflicted on whether to join a band.

DrumDoug

I recently joined a band that plays classic rock and modern country. I have played in a band with the bass player and guitar player before and we're good friends, the rehearsal place isn't too far away, and I like hanging out with the guys. The issue I have with them, is that as much as I like them, they're not very good. This band is going to have limited potential as far as getting gigs. The guitar player is decent and a good singer but the band is never going to go very far. There's another band in the area, that is looking for a drummer. The drummer they had just quit. I have really admired this band for a long time and I wanted to join them for a while. I talked to the singer and arranged for an audition next week. I really love the material they're doing. They play all the songs that I like listening to. Everyone in the band is also a really good player. I think it would help me up my game by playing with better players. The only issue I can see the second band having, is that the style of music they're playing, which is basically rocked out blues, has a limited audience and I'm not sure how much that they would be able to gig either. I really want to join the second band but I would just feel really bad abandoning those guys in the first band right after I joined them. Especially since they're my friends. I'm thinking about trying to do both bands at the same time. But that would put me in four different groups, and rehearsing four nights a week. None of the bands I am in gig very often, so between all of them I might gig regularly but I'm just not sure I should try to do four different bands.

I say go with people who will make you 'play up' and bring your best out. Band#2 appears the choice. Your text is gushing about that one, while Band#1 sounds tentative and not very satisfactory for your musical desires. Maybe you can just jam with those dudes.

Cart behind the horse. Audition/gig with them and decide if you, and they, are a good fit. If so, and you want to, join. If not, enjoy the audition and move on.

Back