A bit of good news to share

Andy

Honorary Member
Hi guys,

I've been looking into cymbal makes over the last few months. Although I've been happy with my Sabian cymbal set, I've been searching for a cymbal maker who can deliver the complexed dark & musical family sound I crave for. I've found that sound in Amedia cymbals. In my discussions with the Amedia guys, we've moved to a point that I'm convinced they are the company for me to partner with for the next stage of my journey, & they're happy to benefit from my input & for me to represent their product. Accordingly, I'm delighted to now endorse Amedia cymbals, & they've warmly welcomed me to their artist rosta.

I'll post some pictures & sound clips of my new Amedia pies over the coming weeks. Some are to be made specifically for me. Although based on existing Amedia series, I'm having different sizes, weights & finishes applied as appropriate. My new 24" thin Galata china should be a keynote moment for sure.

Here's a picture of me with the Amedia UK team. Just thought I'd share my news with my cyber drumming pals. As you can imagine, I'm stoked over this and can't wait to try out my new pie family. The Amedia quality is just breathtakingly stunning.

Attachments

• CIMG5760-Optimized.JPG
    CIMG5760-Optimized.JPG
    461.9 KB · Views: 684
Awesome KIS! I look forward to hearing some Amedia cymbals!

Woohoo!!!

didnt realize i had a celebrity buddy in these neck of the woods! great going, andy, and i'm so happy that you have some good news for yourself. keep us updated on the amedia experience.

Woohoo!!!

didnt realize i had a celebrity buddy in these neck of the woods! great going, andy, and i'm so happy that you have some good news for yourself. keep us updated on the amedia experience.

Cheers Abe, but no celebrity here I'm afraid, simply a meeting of minds. They like my playing, they like my insight on sounds & features, & they value any low level but genuine exposure I can bring to the party. In return, I'm super happy to further the brand as appropriate, provide real life feedback, & take any opportunity to let drummers hear the magic of these works of art. I'm super fussy on sounds. Believe me, I've tried everything, and the depth of flavours from these artisan instruments just blew me away. Even better, they're at a price level that defies their quality. For the record, I've made a contribution to the cost of my bespoke set. I'm no high profile or highly skilled artist, & that is honestly reflected in the arrangement I have with Amedia. Quite simply, I'm super excited at the prospect of working with Amedia to create a stunning sound palate.

Purely as a side note, I am doing some high profile gigs next year. One such gig is Airfest 2011 with an audience of 80,000, so maybe things are on the up, just a little bit.

Congrats KIS!!!

But I've never heard of Amedia either.
Thanks DED, well hopefully, I'm here to change that. Not from a blatent promo or personal kudos pov, but a genuine desire to introduce a really eclectic cymbal range that offers real depth of sound at a price point similar to mid range big name offerings. For once, I'm going along with Matt's pov. He's happy to endorse Zildjian sticks because he believes in the quality. I'm aligned with Amedia for the same reason. It's not a financial gain thing, it's an involvement thing.

Awesome KIS! I look forward to hearing some Amedia cymbals!
Thanks crazy, I'll be posting some sound clips in the coming weeks. More than that, & especially for you, I'll be posting some truly custom KIS drum design innovation too. Watch this space!

Congratulations! I've never heard of Amedia. But we have you to show us all!

I assume they'll be making you one with a bunch of holes in it? ;)
No holes this time around Bo. I've managed to get the sonic features I require without resorting to holes for explosive attack & short decay.

Andy, you are like a duck - calm and unruffled on the surface but paddling furiously beneath the surface :)

Very cool that you have found a cymbal make that will work for you and that you will be able to influence their sounds. You have always been very sharp in your analyses of cymbals so it will be interesting to hear how things work out.

It occurred to me that, with this post and the exposure it gives to Amedia, you have already earned your first set of freebies :)

However, it means that we will no longer see that wonderful array of pies (Sabians and that other brand whose name escapes me) you've shown on your set.

Last edited:
They are very wise for signing you up! I remember the drum head test videos and enjoyed them very much. You have the knack for tuning your drums well and I wouldn't doubt that your taste in cymbals would be any less demanding. I look forward to reading and hopefully seeimg some reviews of these cymbals in the near future.

Are these cymbals pricey?

Andy, you are like a duck - calm and unruffled on the surface but paddling furiously beneath the surface :)

Very cool that you have found a cymbal make that will work for you and that you will be able to influence their sounds. You have always been very sharp in your analyses of cymbals so it will be interesting to hear how things work out.

It occurred to me that, with this post and the exposure it gives to Amedia, you have already earned your first set of freebies :)

However, it means that we will no longer see that wonderful array of pies (Sabians and that other brand whose name escapes me) you've shown on your set.
Cheers Pol, it's a mutual benefit thing, but to clarify again, I have made a contribution towards the cost of my bespoke set. I'm doing this because I want to, not for financial benefit. As for the joy of seeing a nice array of pies on my drums, I can assure you, my new Amedia set is anything but cookie cutter. And oh, a promise to everyone here, I'll be keeping my objectivity, and not acting like a promo bore.

On a personal level Pol, I'm so excited about getting this started. I've already received 2 crashes and a set of hats. I'll be beating them up over the next few weeks. The bespoke pies should arrive just before Christmas.

They are very wise for signing you up! I remember the drum head test videos and enjoyed them very much. You have the knack for tuning your drums well and I wouldn't doubt that your taste in cymbals would be any less demanding. I look forward to reading and hopefully seeimg some reviews of these cymbals in the near future.

Are these cymbals pricey?
Thanks drumr0, glad you enjoyed the head comparison clips. I'll be posting sound & video clips once the set is together. My challenge is how to record them in a true to life manner. I think I'll probably just use the Q3 rather than going the nice condenser route. At least that will give players a low benchmark recording quality without enhancement.

Are they expensive? Hell no. One of the reasons I'm so stoked about these cymbals is their price point makes them easily within reach of anyone considering intermediate offerings from the big guys. Think Sabian XS20, & you're about there. For truly hand hewn artisan pies of the highest possible quality, a true bargain IMO. For me, it's not just price & quality, it's the stunning range of complexed sounds available. Can't wait to show my DW pals what I'm getting excited about!

Last edited by a moderator:
A mini update, I've been playing three of my new pies today, & put them up side by side with three comparable HH's & HHX's. No contest, & I mean, not even close. Can't wait to get some clips up for you guys!

This is all cool news Andy. Congratulations.
Cheers Matt. I hope you don't mind me quoting your motivations for representing a brand. I hooked onto that because it resonated with my thoughts during discussions. I think your stance is admirable given how attractive your profile is, & certainly was around your WFD crazyness. You must have had a raft of companies offering various products. I suspect you soon filtered out the ones that wanted to ride the crest, & settled with a longer term, & ultimately more rewarding partnership. I don't have an attractive profile, nor, to be honest, the skills necessary to sell product on wow factor, so I guess my relationship is based on mutual learning and a belief in the journey. Anyhow, I'm stoked about the prospect of creating flavours I've simply not encountered before.

Congratulations mate!

These are great news to share, regarding Amedia cymbals. The word "success" is on your way - Andy. Let me know, how is the sound of an 24" ride!

Cheers,

So it finally comes out. You come on DW as a regular, gain our trust, and now the facade falls away and the real reason you're here is to further Amedias agenda. Well done!

JUST KIDDING!

Congratu f-ing lations man!
You must be stoked! Like the others, I am unfamiliar with Amedia cymbals.
I am champing at the bit waiting for sound files.

Andy what can you tell us about them?
Where are they made? Are any of the craftsmen from any of the other majors?
B-20, B-8, B-12, B-10 alloy?
Hand hammered?
How long in business?

Verrrrrry curious now that you've given them the thumbs up.
And after knowing that you A/B'd them with your Sabians and they blew past them...

Verrrry curious. Sound files please sir. Cymbals translate better than drums on home recordings to my ear, so your recording should give us a pretty clear picture of what they really sound like.
Congratulations, it must feel really cool to say...."Yea...got me a cymbal endorsement...."
They made out too, having your ear and brain on their side.

Congrats KIS! I'm assuming the young chap in the blazer is you.

So is this a UK based company? OI know you lot make some great amplifiers but I don't think I've ever run across an English cymbal maker (still a cymbal newb, cut me some slack)

Looking forward to hearing these.

Congrats!
It will be interesting to see and hear a new cymbal line that most of us aren't familiar with.

And...quote of the day goes to.....
Turkey and Cymbals are like Sweden and Meatballs.

Seriously KIS congrats!
Can't wait to hear these bad boys!!!

Just stumbled across the thread here at DW where you were just "curious" about Amedia....

Nice to see the story play out in such a thumbs up way!!

Back