New (not too old yet) guy here

Hi all!

My name is Brian and I'm 37. I've been playing 22 years. I live in Arkansas, and am currently a student as the recession took away my job in architecture and my drums. I will be graduating next semester, and as a present to myself I am planning on buying a new kit. As I haven't purchased a kit in 20 years, I'm a bit behind the times on all the new gear out there. Any suggestions as to what can get me playing again for about $1000 would be very much appreciated (just don't tell my wife!).

As for my history, I studied with Ted MacKenzie. For those of you that don't know who he is, he is a graduate of Berklee and studied under Henry Adler, the same guy Buddy Rich studied under. I played death metal for 8 years with Vore (currently signed to AFM records), and have shared the stage with the likes of Deicide, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under, Nile, Malevolent Creation, Origin, ManOWar, Halford, Jungle Rot, and Monstrosity to name a few. I've also played the main stage at Milwaukee Metalfest XXIII.

Anywho, I'm glad to be here and look forward to both sharing and gathering information on all things drum.

Welcome to this great community, Brian. I believe that you'll have good time here and you'll find loads of useful and inspiring information. Regarding a drumset my recommendation would be to buy used gear. For 1000bucks its possible to find some really good kits and cymbals. What sizes do you want your kit to have? Will you play metal or you need more versatile sounding cymbals etc? With some additional info it'll be way easier to help you.

Vaidotas Segenis

The only thing metal I must have is a double pedal. Other than that I'm open to suggestions all around. I would like a new kit, all my others have been used. Cymbals I've got covered, I'm a self admitted Sabian snob.

Back