Took a bite from an Apple

I'm still struggling with my 10 month old Mac Book Pro. I hate using that thing; I can't find things or get it to do the things I want. Give me Windows anytime (as long as it works, doesn't crash and is virus free)!

Long live us Luddites!

GJS
Luddite? No wonder you can't figure out the mac. :)

DMC, this isn't a thread about what you think of Apple.

I'm a long time computer user, I've been using computers since 1990 (the age of two) and I've used DOS 5.0, 6.0, Windows 95, 2000, NT, XP, Vista, 7, RISC OS, BBC Basic, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva and OS X 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 and 10.7.

It has nothing to do with 'looking cool'. It has everything to do with being able to work in a fluid environment that presents no barrier between what I'm requesting and what the OS is capable of doing. So often in a Windows environment there will be barriers between what I want to do and being able to do it. Driver support is a classic here - especially with Vista.

Apple present a combined OS/Hardware system that addresses these concerns by being deeply integrated. That genuinely does call for a better user experience. I've been using Macs since 2005 and can never see myself going back to using Windows for everything I do.

Incidentally, I don't have an iPhone - neither do I particularly want one. I am not bound by the same 'love' of Apple that would appear as an antithesis to your 'hate'. For some people it's a better solution. If you don't want to take your blinkers off, that's fine. I'll leave you to it.

Thank you for telling us what you think of Apple! All diverse views should be welcome here.

Thank you for telling us what you think of Apple! All diverse views should be welcome here.
Did you read the opening post? I did not ask for opinions on which one is better. This was going to be a thread where brain washed apple sheep could come and share stuff. It is that simple. Haters start your own thread. Lots of room for one.

I use both. Both have their strengths... Windows has it's weeknesses ;)

I just finished the new Steve Jobs Bio. Pretty incredible. I found myself pulling out my iPhone and pausing to admire my other mac gadgets frequently. I can't believe how far technology has come in such a short time.

I have always been a "whatever works" kind of guy. For my AV stuff, it's mac with no exception. Everything works, and it works fast with no crashing.

My PC at work is used for mapping, drafting, and occasional photoshop stuff. It works fine, and only crashes about once or twice a day. It was purchased about 2 years ago and I don't know why it struggles so much. I like having dual monitors and it seems fast for what I use it for. I would never trust it in a live music situation. I have no idea why PC's crash so much, nor do I care. If I need something for live performance, it's my macbook. But I earn my paycheck using PC's.

Did you read the opening post? I did not ask for opinions on which one is better. This was going to be a thread where brain washed apple sheep could come and share stuff. It is that simple. Haters start your own thread. Lots of room for one.

Well, then, you'd better correct MFB too, because he did start comparing the two. Or else accept that threads wander.

Personally, I think it's great that brainwashed Apple sheep come here and share stuff (your words, not mine). I've shared some of my own Apple experiences. Ain't life grand?

Here is the typical PC/ Windows customer service call.
I'm sorry that is a Dell problem not a Windows problem.
I'm sorry that is a Windows problem not a Dell problem.
Since Apple makes the software and the hardware you can get service and not the run around.

Apples customer service.
We'll be glad to help you with your problem. Could I have your name and your products serial number please.

I have owned Gateway, Dell, and Windows products of course and everytime you call you get the third degree about each product only to be told to it's bot their fault. Terrible

DMC you sound like a seventh grader arguing because you had one issue with an Apple computer. All products have problems. You must not drive a car since they all have issues.

The main issue here is that there are a certain few that don't have the savvy to try an Apple since they feel they are so much different than PC's which is just not true. Therefore the best thing to do is to badmouth them. DMC you have made it very clear why and how you don't like Apple in the past so let it rest. Sticks has taken a ton of heat over his drum threads in the past and tried to, post a positive thread on his new Apple computer to see what Apple people, or mature people thought. I'm sorry but in this case you fit neither category. Why not start a thread about how much you dislike Apple and you and all of the other haters can chime in.

Sticks I have a 24 inch iMac, a Mac MIni, a MacBook, an iPad, 2 ipods and have had one issue that was covered under warranty by a local authorised repair dealer in 2 days and that is it. Congrats on your new purchase and if you have any questions that I can help with please ask. Great thread.

Here is the typical PC/ Windows customer service call.
I'm sorry that is a Dell problem not a Windows problem.
I'm sorry that is a Windows problem not a Dell problem.
Since Apple makes the software and the hardware you can get service and not the run around.

Apples customer service.
We'll be glad to help you with your problem. Could I have your name and your products serial number please.

I have owned Gateway, Dell, and Windows products of course and everytime you call you get the third degree about each product only to be told to it's bot their fault. Terrible

DMC you sound like a seventh grader arguing because you had one issue with an Apple computer. All products have problems. You must not drive a car since they all have issues.

The main issue here is that there are a certain few that don't have the savvy to try an Apple since they feel they are so much different than PC's which is just not true. Therefore the best thing to do is to badmouth them. DMC you have made it very clear why and how you don't like Apple in the past so let it rest. Sticks has taken a ton of heat over his drum threads in the past and tried to, post a positive thread on his new Apple computer to see what Apple people, or mature people thought. I'm sorry but in this case you fit neither category. Why not start a thread about how much you dislike Apple and you and all of the other haters can chime in.

Sticks I have a 24 inch iMac, a Mac MIni, a MacBook, an iPad, 2 ipods and have had one issue that was covered under warranty by a local authorised repair dealer in 2 days and that is it. Congrats on your new purchase and if you have any questions that I can help with please ask. Great thread.

+1 for the comparison
+1 for the slap down
+1 for the Apple-ness that this thread requires
+2 for just... boom. xD

I am officially in love. So easy to use. Why did I wait so long. :)

It isn't just that Apple products are overpriced and pretentious. They really do suck

Can you give some unbiased, concrete examples? You presented a couple unfortunate scenarios, but that's hardly enough to condemn the entire company. I'm curious as to what makes Apple products so bad.

Interesting. I think right-clicking can be very helpful.
There is a way to "Right Click" on a Mac. We just do it differently than on a PC.
Every time I use a PC laptop I keep on hitting the right side of the click bar and I can't understand why I get the Right Click pop up menu on the screen.
It is really annoying.
I have to use a PC laptop at work because our software isn't written in Macanese.

Last edited:
I use a Logitech wireless mouse and set up the mouse to do left click, right click, scroll wheel, and the scroll wheel can be moved left and right to move pages left and right.
Right click for making new folders on the desk top, copy and paste. In iPhoto, right click a photo, and hit trash if its a bad one. Many right click uses.

There is a way to "Right Click" on a Mac. We just do it differently than on a PC.
Every time I use a PC laptop I keep on hitting the right side of the click bar and I can't understand why I get the Right Click pop up menu on the screen.
It is really annoying.
I have to use a PC laptop at work because out software isn't written in Macanese.

I know, I'm a Mac guy, too, I just thought it was interesting you didn't like right clicking since I find it so useful. Yes, to add to Gruntersdad's list, I use "get info" all the time.

Can you give some unbiased, concrete examples? You presented a couple unfortunate scenarios, but that's hardly enough to condemn the entire company. I'm curious as to what makes Apple products so bad.

I have owned to Dell laptops they were both pricey, both of them were junk. I used a pc for recording a while. Again it was a joke with all of the latencey issues with interfaces, and having the comp crash and loosing all of your recordings. I got a Mac and I will never own a pc again. Macs are very simple to use, the recording software ( Digital Performer and logic9 )
are amazing.

A few years ago, my wife made the mistake of getting an iPod. After she spent a few hundred bucks and a few months collecting music, audio books, etc., one day iTunes asked her if she wanted to "sync the iPod with iTunes" even though it supposedly was already. This wiped out everything in the device - all gone.

Of course this wasn't a problem because you had all of this valuable data backed up. You did back up, didn't you?

I know, I'm a Mac guy, too, I just thought it was interesting you didn't like right clicking since I find it so useful. Yes, to add to Gruntersdad's list, I use "get info" all the time.
I should have said that I hate to accidentally right click when I'm not using a Mac.

How many here have learned how to use the symbols that are on the command and option keys.
I started thinking in terms these symbols a while back to execute commands and I have trouble when using a PC because of it.

Of course this wasn't a problem because you had all of this valuable data backed up. You did back up, didn't you?
And all of that music could have been download again for free if you did it through iTunes. there are records kept.

I am in the same boat with computer monitors.... You seem like you enjoy a little joking around and I couldn't resist.

Glad some people are enjoying it as much as I am.

Back