reccomend me a snare

richmcf

Hi all

There isnt anywhere near where i live that i can try out top quality snares... Im looking to buy a high end one that can stay with me for good.... Any reccomendations?

How about pork pie big lack brass?

I think having a great snare is important especially if your playing gigs and not always using your own kit!

Hi all

There isnt anywhere near where i live that i can try out top quality snares... Im looking to buy a high end one that can stay with me for good.... Any reccomendations?

How about pork pie big lack brass?

I think having a great snare is important especially if your playing gigs and not always using your own kit!
Nice to see I got you to think outside of the box. Good luck :)

In these instances, budget is an important factor.

I own a Guru snare (thanks, Andy!) that is fantastic. It's about as high-end as it is possible to be and sounds great. It works in a variety of situations and the construction and parts (as well as my satisfaction) are second-to-none.

I also own a much less valuable Yamaha Musashi 13x6.5. I believe these are around £260 new but I bought mine in 2006/7 when they were a little cheaper (not accounting for inflation). The Musashi is - for my money - one of the best snares in its class and although I don't use it often now because of the Guru, it is still a highly prized drum; if a little less refined than the Guru in terms of the individual components. It offers a different sound in its own right but my Guru can cover 95% of the bases that the Musashi can.

WorldMax offer some very competitively priced snare drums that are excellent and similar to the Pork Pie that you are looking at. From what I have heard, the Pork Pie drum is very good too.

I think to help you, we may need to narrow it down a bit. What kind of music are you playing and what is your rough budget?

What's your budget and what styles of music do you play or intend to play? If you're just starting out you really don't know where music is going to take you. The Pork Pie BoB is great as is their Brass Patina. The WorldMax drums are great as well and WorldMax makes the shells used for the BoBs, PDP Aces and Pearl brass snares. The Tama S.L.P. snares are sweet as well. The Mapex Black Panthers are fantastic but then there's always Guru's creation. Man I hope I can afford one of those one day! You really need to sit back and think about where you want to go. A BoB would be great in a rock context but what if you decide to start playing bop or start dating a singer/songwriter type? Welcome to the complex, hair-pulling world of buying your "ultimate" snare.

Pearl Sensitone Brass
Ludwig bronze
Tama aluminum, or Ludwig Acrolite
Yamaha Oak

Just some ideas...

Get in touch with Cooper Acoutin at Acoutin drums. He makes these wonderful snares too. Guru is another one. BUt if you're looking for solid snares, there are alot of them in the less-than-the-sky range. I currently play a Tama Stewart Copeland which is a great chrome-over-brass 5x14 monster that can handle pretty much everything, as well as one of the new SLP Sonic Steel snares and an Artwood maple one. Between the three I can cover everything (I'm currently digging on 13" snares).

Of course, Ludwig Black Beauties, Supraphonics, Yamaha's, Pearls, everybody makes a good solid snare drum. Sometimes price determines this, anything over $200 will generally be ok for lots of applications. Good players can make use of anything and get it done too. What is it you're looking for in a snare drum?

What type of music you play,and how much coin you have has a rather large bearing on drum selection.The standards such as the Pearl sensitone in steel or brass,The Ludwig Acrolite which is the best bargain in the bunch,and the Ludwig supraphonic,in aluminum,brass,and bronze,can handle it all.

Thinking outside the box works also,but you usually need a larger buget if you want an identifiable,and custom snare sound.Acoutin,and our own Andys' Guru drums are cases in point.These drums are well worth the extra coin,and are as much about form meeting function,meeting art.

Steve B

Thanks for all the responses!!

I would say i would spend around £150 so used is my only option...

I play in an indie band... Kinda goin in a blues/rock direction, anything to suit this would be great! I suppose i want something with a good bottom ed, fat sounding

Last edited:
I know Pearl makes some great steel-shelled snares that are relatively inexpensive, considering their sound quality. I've been using a Pearl Chad Smith 5x14 signature snare for a while now, and so far it sounds great, it's quite versatile, and you can find them used for pretty cheap.

I went to see the stine roses tonight, which was fantastic! The support band beady eye had exactly the snare sound im looking for..... Im gonna try and find out what he uses

Also, i got a chance to test out a mapex black panther and didnt like it all...maybe it was the way the store set it up!

Also, i got a chance to test out a mapex black panther and didnt like it all...maybe it was the way the store set it up!

I used to work with some "drummers" in the drum dept. at a music store, and trust me, just because someone can sell drums, that doesn't mean they can tune them. And the big stores (Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Mars Music when it was still around) are far more concerned with how much gear you sell than how knowledgeable you actually are. Thus, many of them just hire a bunch of used car salesman types that couldn't get a decent drum sound if their life depended on it.

Your budget is pretty low for a decent snare.. Most snares under $500 are just OK.
I'd get a cheap (vintage) supraphonic, especially taking into consideration the type of music you play. It has a very traditional sound and mixes with everything.
I just got one myself and couldn't be happier. Only snare that anyone will ever need =)

more blues rock with more bottom end, have you looked at the Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14? Super drum for the money!

Do you prefer wood or metal snares?

To be honest I have only ever had a metal snare... I am quite inexpirienced in the Snare world!

The amount of snares out there is a little overwhelming!

Ive looked at the vintage Premier Snares and the Ludwigs which both look like good bets at the moment, as I love in the UK some of the custom snares reccomended from the US arent really an option! Thanks for all of the help so far!

Rich

Back