Fattest Snare Sound Ever Recorded?

mikei

Gold Member
My God,

I was listening to the Eagles today really, really loud in my car today and I was really listening to the sound of the snare. HIS SNARE SOUND WAS SO FAT!!! Sounds like the batter is finger tight.

I dont think I have ever heard one tuned that LOW.

It sounded really good and fit the music (Witchy Woman).

Do you know of any other snares recorded that were tuned that low? If so, I want to hear it.

Really , I have to disagree with the 80's sound (eagles)

The erm....'fatness.....you hear is not the actual drum sound, That really is a bucket of reverb applied to a snare that is muffled to death and it is horrible.

AC/DC

Back in Black. The kick and snare are almost the same pitch.

I don't trust myself- John Mayer

Steve Jordan's snare in that song is FAT!!!!!! One could even say it's "PH" phat!

I'll add Vultures to that list.

44Ronin - Well, personal opinion. There is nothing wrong with muffling a snare to death if it gets the sound. Some of my favorite classic drum sounds came from the drummer more or less playing a towel.

Mick Brown (Dokken)....always had a fatty snare. John Fowler (Steelheart) also super-fat snare.

Some Tommy Lee spirit is in the recollection of fatness....

Jeremy Taggart of Our Lady Peace has always had a fat snare sound. I fell in love with that sound from their first album Naveed and have done my best to duplicate it ever since.

My God,

I was listening to the Eagles today really, really loud in my car today and I was really listening to the sound of the snare. HIS SNARE SOUND WAS SO FAT!!! Sounds like the batter is finger tight.

I dont think I have ever heard one tuned that LOW.

It sounded really good and fit the music (Witchy Woman).

Do you know of any other snares recorded that were tuned that low? If so, I want to hear it.

Don't know what Henley played on those recordings, but when I saw the Hell Freezes Over concert DVD, he was playing an old Supraphonic. It was interesting because whenever Henley was behind the drums (which were DW), the Supra was there, but whenever Henley went out front and Scott Crago took over the drums, he switched to a DW snare that matched the rest of the kit. Henley's Supra looked OLD too - so it wouldn't surprise me if that's what he used back in the day.

...and Cobham's snare on the Red Baron has a nice sound IMO..

I definately feel that Henley gets the "fattest drum sound" award. Check out the snare on the Eagles' "I can't tell you why."

Those were the days when the sound engineers taped wallets to the snare.

I've never really been a fan of FAT snare sounds....you can never make out the delicate stuff....and they are difficult to play due to no rebound....I prefer midrange to cracky sounds myself...but hey we all have our likes and dislikes.....I just don't like playing a drum that feels like playing a bowl of soup.

I definately feel that Henley gets the "fattest drum sound" award. Check out the snare on the Eagles' "I can't tell you why."

He's also hitting the 12 inch rack tom on the back beats. That adds a lot to the sound.

DW came out with a ballard snare. It's a 16 X 10 on legs like a floor tom. That thing should be awesome for the classic fat snare sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesar_Zuiderwijk

Just listening to the radio...

Golden Earring....Radar Love to be exact. I thought his snare sound was pretty beefy...almost muddy.

I'll second that song, definitely a nice snare sound there.

I just thinking about this yesterday... one of the others drummers in our basketball pep band has a nice snare, but he cranks it pretty high and he ALWAYS rimshots (seriously, all his backbeats are rimshots). It was kind of annoying me and reminded me how there has to be a balance between fat and low and high crackly rimshots.

I've never really been a fan of FAT snare sounds....you can never make out the delicate stuff....and they are difficult to play due to no rebound....I prefer midrange to cracky sounds myself...but hey we all have our likes and dislikes.....I just don't like playing a drum that feels like playing a bowl of soup.

I like a crisper sound as well, but for some genres, like rock, a fat sound is called for and there's not much as subtlety (as we commonly think of it) on the drums. If you played a crackier snare on a lot of rock tunes, something would feel like it's missing.

Steve Zimmerman's (original Fate's Warning drummer) snare is fatter than a Wal-Mart check-out line.

Anything from the 60's or 70's has fat snare sounds in my opinion.

Back