SNARE TUNING

Re: Snare Tuning, am I doing it right?

Erm....im using evans thin snare head on reso and an EC2 Reverse Power Dot on batter, the heads are great for what I want but not working for me at the mo grrr

I used to have a similar problem, it was coming from the fact that the resonant head was not tight enough. Generally, on a snare, you want to tighten up that snare side head.

Keep playing around with the tunning, you'll eventually get at it.

Heads with center dots are also notorious for having a smaller sweet spot. You may like the off-center sound better with a head lacking the center dot.

Since I noticed that your heads aren`t the problem aswell as the way you tune the drum I think it is the pitch and adjustment of the snares.
How high is your batter and reso head tuned in comparison to a tom? Can you still dent the heads very easily? I made the experience that especially a very low tuned batter snare head sounds "crappy"...won`t give you a neat sound.
Also: Is your reso higher pitched than your batter or lower? If the reso is tuned higher than the batter it will give you more cut and a drier tone. If it is lower tuned than the batter it will give you a fatter and wetter tone with more body.
What sound would you like to have? I tuned both heads high (the reso a bit higher) to get a more cuttish, ringy, sensitive and very defined sound and feel.

The next thing is: How tight are your snares? I can highly recommend to tighten them up till you get a short sound but still sensitive on the edges near the lugs.
If the current sound near the lugs (with snares on) is choked and timbale sounding: Loose them. the difficult thing is to get the nice middle.

Important note: Did you care about laying the snare wires into the snare bed of the edge? It is important to get much sensitivity.

Karl

Snare Tuning issue

I have a yamaha 14 x 5 bamboo custom snare, that sounded great. Took the head off (evans power centre) and put on a new one, and its ringing like a bitch.

I have to record in about 4 days and its starting to piss me off. I have been playing and tuning drums for about 12 years now,and never had this before. Any suggestions?

Re: Snare Tuning issue

tried a bit of tape? or maybe tunning down a bit. i had a ringing issue with a snare of mine a while ago and put a bit of tape on the edge which sorted things out.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but....did you replace the old head with exactly the same, new head? Are you tuning it to exactly the same tension? I assume the answer to all these is yes, but you didn't state it explicitly in your post. If all the above are true, it's possible you just have a bad head. Try replacing it.
Otherwise, you can try tape, moongels, or a studio ring. All have worked for me at different times.

Damp the head slightly with a finger about an inch from a lug. Hit it.

Repeat for each lug. If the ringing goes away when you're near a particular lug, that lug is likely tighter or looser than the others.

Your ears are just used to the sound of the older head which was probably a little deader due to age. If your tuning is ok just give the head some playing time and it should calm down. But if you need the deader sound right away try a piece of moongel or tape.

I had the same problem when i switched from Evans to Remo. I tried tuning about 1000000 different times.
What I did what change back to the old head and tune it really tightly, then went back to the new head and tunes it really tight, and for some weird reason it sounded great again. I have no clue why this worked but it did. I also tried tuning without the snares off, and it sounded o.k then with snares on it had the ring. I thought the problem was with the snares but the weird changing heads and tuning very tightly worked and my snare is back is business.

Tom

I always get wary when I read threads like this... ring = projection... but some drummers think that ANY ring is bad. Truthfully your best bet is to get someone else to whack the drum while you listen from a distance away. If you're recording the last thing you want to do is muffle out ALL the ring.

Black Panther Maple snare 13 x 6 tuning

I just bought myself a Black Panther maple snare 13 x 6 i was wondering what would be the best way to tune it up. I know that Steve Jordan uses a similiar dimension snare 13" I really like the sound of his snare. However right now I feel as if when I play the drum it has too much of a ringing noise or ressonance. But when i put a plastic drum ring over it I feel that it is too muffled. any suggestions or advice? I usually play alternative rock nothing too heavy. I like using rimshots alot but right now i feel as if its just too "ringy"

Re: Black Panther Maple snare 13 x 6 tuning

Do you mean a fat snare sound without much ring but with body??
Maybe try to tune the resonant head very low, at least a few notes lower than the batter head.
Also try a lower batter head tuning to get a fatter sound.

What heads do you use currently? A Powerstroke could also solve your problem if tuning doesn`t help. But I doubt that.

Karl

I have this drum and have it tuned low and fat. Love It.

I got this sound by bringing the resonant head up to the point just above where the head is wrinkled, then I tuned the batter head very loose (to where you can push about 3/8's of and inch easily into the head with your finger). I then finished the job with a square of moon gel and it sounds glorious! I had been tying to achieve this sound for sometime, and after reading the drum tuning bible twice, I got it right.

Good luck man!

i am currently using the heads that came with the drum can't afford new heads...any way to get a good sound out of it?...if i tune it low and fat...will it still have the ring or nice sound of a rimshot? or will it be slightly...i don't know hte word is dampened proper term?

The most important thing now is: Experimenting. Very much.
Take time for that...it can take hours till you have the right sound.

Just try how hard you wanna have the batter head and the reso in comparison.
Maybe the batter tuned medium and the reso a few notes lower?

good luck,

Karl

Maybe a normal Ambassador snare reso head or Evans Hazy...and a Remo Powerstroke 3 or Evans ST dry as batter? Would give you less ring and less resonance. Overall a drier fatter sound.

Karl

Back