The ''Right'' Way To Set Up Your Kit

lagwagon99

What annoys you on peoples drum sets?

MODERATION NOTE: this thread grew into a setting up kit thread so it has been merged. key words: correct kit set-up tom angles ergonomics.

what are the things that bug you about how people set up their drums? for me its people who tilt their snare away from them, how does that help? I also hate when people muffle thier bass drum to the point to where it sounds like cardboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: What annoys you on peoples drum sets?

Most of the people here hate weird tom angles. It often happens that a newbie posts pics of his kit; every one shouts "Tom Angles!!!", and the newbie doesn't even know what's wrong with them.

I think it's almost a tradition here on Drummerworld...

for me its people who tilt their snare away from them, how does that help?

Easier access to rim shots....look at Steve Smith and Buddy Rich....that have it tilted away from them.

Not to mention, old style players who used traditional grip had the drums slanted away from them.

Well the reason alot of people tilt the snare away from them is for ease and effectiveness of rim shots. I had an instructor who played that way and said he used to practice rim shots in that way and grew to love the feel and position of the snare at that angle.

Otherwise I could give a shat less how someone sets up their kit.. To each his own.

Most of the people here hate weird tom angles. It often happens that a newbie posts pics of his kit; every one shouts "Tom Angles!!!", and the newbie doesn't even know what's wrong with them.

I think it's almost a tradition here on Drummerworld...

thats a global problem i think.. :-D

tert.jpg

What annoys me are things like setting up the kit so that everything is parallel to the ground. The cymbals are just flat with no angle, each drum is flat as well. It just looks boring to me. Also when people muffle the heck out of their bass drums, just use a batter head on the bass that has "built in" muffling and just use a patch or something similar. Another thing is when drummers just have a ridiculous amount of cymbals and drums. "Less is more." Lastly, but not least, I absolutely am annoyed by drummers who use racks for their kits. It just seems so unorthodox for drummers to use that kind of a mounting system, but although I would say it is probably helpful for the drummers who have 50 different drums and cymbals on their kit...

What annoys me are things like setting up the kit so that everything is parallel to the ground. The cymbals are just flat with no angle, each drum is flat as well. It just looks boring to me. Also when people muffle the heck out of their bass drums, just use a batter head on the bass that has "built in" muffling and just use a patch or something similar. Another thing is when drummers just have a ridiculous amount of cymbals and drums. "Less is more." Lastly, but not least, I absolutely am annoyed by drummers who use racks for their kits. It just seems so unorthodox for drummers to use that kind of a mounting system, but although I would say it is probably helpful for the drummers who have 50 different drums and cymbals on their kit...

Is this what you mean?

Attachments

• Humboldt 8.jpg
    Humboldt 8.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 2,845

excellent post Nutha hats off (to Roy harper) sorry pseudo OCD thing I have to do everytime i say hats off to someone, SORRY

Is this what you mean?

attachment.php

:))) Excellent! . . . . . . .

I hear you on the rack-thing. I hate it too. Doesn't look pretty nor natural. The muffling I think is just personal perference (prhaps for some recordings muffling might do good). And the drum set up parallel to to ground... I understand what you're sayiing, but personally I think it has some sort of style on it. (atached image!)

Personally I hate the look of electronic drums! It's good they excist, so we can drum without the noice (maybe renting one myself next year) but that there are people who actually play gigs with e-kits! Can't believe it. (second pic)

Attachments

• castillo1.jpg
    castillo1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 2,317
  • margiele.jpg
    margiele.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 2,207

Things dont annoy me about other peoples kits, it may not work for me, but, its their kit, so its not my problem.

I hear you on the rack-thing. I hate it too. Doesn't look pretty nor natural. The muffling I think is just personal perference (prhaps for some recordings muffling might do good). And the drum set up parallel to to ground... I understand what you're sayiing, but personally I think it has some sort of style on it. (atached image!)

I don't think floor toms should be included in this; rather the Travis Barker style kit. Rack tom flat, snare flat, cymbals flat, etc.
I prefer a floor tom to be flat (or pretty much flat) and my snare is basically the same too.

1. Miles of tape.
2. Bass Drums filled with ............you name it.
3. Setups that allow pieces of equipment to touch and rub against each other. OH GAWD how I hate that. Snare rub on the rack tom, lug screw rub on the floor tom from the bass drum. When I first started, this was one of the prime things my teacher hammered on. NOTHING touches anything its not supposed to be touching.
4. Way High Cymbals.
5. Things that are too far away to really be a viable part of the kit, without becoming a contortionist.

When priorities are not straight. For example: having a shiny new double pedal, top of the line cymbals, bells and whistles all over the place... and yet the set still has stock heads that look like they've been assaulted by an angry mob. How could anyone do such a thing to a poor innocent drumset!? Please give to my "Save a Drumset Foundation", operators are standing by. Saving drumsets from disillusioned "drummers" for over 50 years and counting.

Ha... only in my dreams...

Moe

When priorities are not straight. For example: having a shiny new double pedal, top of the line cymbals, bells and whistles all over the place... and yet the set still has stock heads that look like they've been assaulted by an angry mob. How could anyone do such a thing to a poor innocent drumset!? Please give to my "Save a Drumset Foundation", operators are standing by. Saving drumsets from disillusioned "drummers" for over 50 years and counting.

Ha... only in my dreams...

Moe

Maybe you could get together with the guy from Pimp My Ride and start a Tv show on MTV?

I will most likely take a lot of crap for this, but I hate cheap kits with cheap cymbals. They don't sound good and they usually look cheesy. I know that everyone can not afford a pro level kit for a 1000 different reasons. But as a drum freak, when I go see a band, I want to see and hear a great kit. Something different. I know that money is a big issue in this, and I really do understand, but when I go out, I am always hoping to see something that makes me think...I gotta get me one of THOSE....

[...] I hate cheap kits with cheap cymbals. They don't sound good and they usually look cheesy. [...]

No drum sounds good to me. At least those are cheap. Plus they look great with their prime color wrapping.

Back