SNARE TUNING

Re: THE SNARE TUNING THREAD.

drumzz2much,

Could be one or more of a number of factors.

1) If this is your first time using that head, it could be that it produces a sound (with the snares on) that is not to your liking.
I outfitted my drums with some MV's once, only to find that I didn't like it. Too dry and the snare had gained a "thick, muted sound.
The coating on the MV's is thicker than on most coated heads, thus the reason they sound the way they do.

2) The snare mechanism/assembly could be at fault. Strings/straps might be stretching. The snare itself might be misaligned (a commonly overlooked problem), the mechanism (throw-off) might be misadjusted, or worn to the point that it doesn't sit the snare on the head with the same tension each time. It could also be misaligning the snare as it is turned on (I've seen 'em move sideways many times).

3) Could be a rod backing off. They do this sometimes. You get everything tuned up to produce a great sound, but after a little bit of playing, the drum falls out of tune because one or more lugs are backing off. I had this happen in the studio once...talk about a nightmare!

4) The "nice" sound you're hearing with the snares off could be a factor of the snare side head being allowed to move more freely. With the snares on, it's movement is heavily restricted. The resulting sound might not be to your liking.
This would require playing with snare tension AND batter head tension to alter the sound more to your liking.

5) Hitting the center of any drum head under tension is a "dead zone". The drum will take on a deeper and darker tone, but it will be much drier (which can sometimes come across as a "tubby" sound). If you hit the head in the middle area between the center and the edge, the sound will become more full and sustain will increase.
However, as you move your "striking point" closer to the edge, the drum's sound also becomes more "tinny".

There's a few things to look at.
Let us know how you make out.

Elvis

ok....i need help with my snare....i want it to sound exactly like travis barker's (a high pitched, punk sound) how should i tune the resonant and batter heads...also what kind of heads do you recommend for this kind of sound?

blink said:
ok....i need help with my snare....i want it to sound exactly like travis barker's (a high pitched, punk sound) how should i tune the resonant and batter heads...also what kind of heads do you recommend for this kind of sound?

Leave your snare drum in it's present state and take it into a recording studio.
Have the engineer apply all the same effects, mikes, mike set-ups, etc. to the snare drum, then you play the drum in the same way, using the same sticks that Travis does.

Listen to the playback and see how it compares to the recording(s) you're referencing the sound to.

If your snare drum still doesn't sound the same, make adjustments, rinse and repeat.

Elvis

serious problem here...i broke my bass drum head (batter) my beater just went right through the head! this is the second time this has happened...what do u think the problem is? im pretty sure im tuning wrong...but could it be the type of head? both of the heads i used we're ones that came with the set...

blink said:
serious problem here...i broke my bass drum head (batter) my beater just went right through the head! this is the second time this has happened...what do u think the problem is? im pretty sure im tuning wrong...but could it be the type of head? both of the heads i used we're ones that came with the set...

Ok:

What you need is either a Remo or Evans bass head (Evans makes better bass heads, even though I have Remo). Another thing, is you are probably tuning too low. A loose head will move with the beater, giving a "sinking" feeling, since your beater will hit the head and keep moving as you apply pressure. What you want is for the head to push back, not to be pushed. You need to get a new head, and tune it up a little higher than you would normally have it tuned. This way you don't run the risk of breaking it again. I also recommend getting either the Falam Pad by Remo, or one the bass pads that Evans offers. The pads lend to the sound of the drum, and prevent it from breaking as easy. This should help.

- Marc

...also, you can cut out the damaged portion of that head you broke and use it as a vented front head on your bass drum.

Sending the beater through the head could also be a sign that those heads were worn out.

Elvis

Ok I just baught a Evend Genera HD 2 py coted head for my snare 14x7ish
I like the song it producces whit a Full Volum strike but inthing below that the the snares dont rattle much, I have a suppesion it is my tuneing, not the snare aggustment.
Please HELP!!!

It could be a number of things.

1) Snare tension.
If the snares are too tight for the force you are playing at, they won't react.

2) Head type.
Thick heavy batter heads don't transfer energy as well as thinner, lighter heads can.
If too much energy is absorbed because of how the drum is set up, the snares won't react.
Also, if the resonant head is too heavy, the snares may react, but you might not be able to hear it.
You could also be playing with such a small amount of energy that a thick head (on the resonant side) doesn't see enough of it to react, thus the snares won't react.
"Snare Side" heads are very thin (too thin to play on) for this reason.
Make sure you're snare drum has a "snare side" head installed on the resonant side.

3) Too large of a snare drum.
If you're trying to play very lightly, there's "too much" drum for the energy to transfer through (so this is related to # 2).
I've "out-run" deep snare drums before, by playing at PPPPPPP levels.
If the energy you impart on the drum is too little to transfer to the snares, they won't react.

4) Head Tuning.
You could have the heads setup so they don't want to vibrate unless a certain amount of energy is imparted on them.

If any or all of these conditions exist, the snares won't react.

Elvis

Elvis said:
3) Too large of a snare drum.
If you're trying to play very lightly, there's "too much" drum for the energy to transfer through ...
I've "out-run" deep snare drums before, by playing at PPPPPPP levels.
If the energy you impart on the drum is too little to transfer to the snares, they won't react.

I think this has to do more with the quality of a large snare drum. I had a 14x7 Yamaha brass snare and it was one sensitive instrument!

Stu_Strib said:
I think this has to do more with the quality of a large snare drum. I had a 14x7 Yamaha brass snare and it was one sensitive instrument!

Sonny,

The latest example of me "out ruinning" a snare drum was a brand new 14x6.5 Ludwig Black Beauty with Millenium strainer and Die Cast hoops.
It doesn't get much "nicer" than that, and I was using a stick much larger and heavier than what I normally play with.

Elvis

Snare tuning problems

Hi...I have a gretsch USA maple 14 inches across and 5 inches deep and I am trying to get an open jazzy sound out of it. I have a G1 on it. Any tips on how to tune or anything else?

Re: Snare tuning problems

i would say throw an evans hazy 300 on bottom and tune the top head a bit loser than you normally would. Let the snares sound losse as well. That drum is not really the best jazz snare (great for rock though) so it may take some patience. I would say losen the snares and detune the head a bit.....see if that helps.

Re: snare tuning

For a metal snare i've found if you crank up the top head and the bottom head(not quite as much) and leave the snare about med tight, i've gotten great sensitivity w/that.

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I've got a unique problem. Usually people come here to complain about their snare drums ringing. My problem is that I can't get my snare to ring! Some of you who've read my past posts may know the snare in question is a Yamaha 14 x 5.5 brass Manu Katché custom that I've had over 2 years now, which I know is capable of producing that nice tasty ring which I love so much (you might check out the recording of Manu's "Travelling West" on the main Drummerworld site to hear for yourself). I've visited Prof. Sound's drum tuning bible about a hundred times and I've almost tried everything: Reso tighter, batter tighter, both the same pitch, loose, tight, etc... I can almost always get the pitch I want, so in that respect the drum is easy to tune, just like a high end snare should be. But my question here deals with the actual timbre of the drum; I hope someone can help.

Some background info: All hardware on the drum is stock and it was purchased brand new. I have a Remo coated Ambassador on the batter side and a clear Diplomat on the snare side. I replaced the stock snares with Puresound 16-strand Customs, which I keep pretty loose. I also use absolutely no external or internal muffling devices. Thanks again for your kind advice and assistance.

I think its difficult to tune a Snare.... I tune it every time i play and there is just one important thing: DONT TAPE YOUR DRUMS!!!! :)) hehe I think Drums needing room and sound. Try different Heads and always trying again and again you will find yor sound.

Back