Hand-feet independency double bass drum

Matekie

Hi,

I'm having troubles with so called hand-feet independency when I play double bass.

To give an example:

I have no problem with playing 1/8 notes with 16 basses at rather high speed, but when I try to play for example 1/4 note with some more variation of bass drum (call it maybe breakdown drumming) I feel a lot of difficulty. I have many problems to place my snare hit at the moment they should be and my hand hitting the cymbals or hi-hat or following the melody I play with my feet and does not provide the rhythm.

What I would like to ask is if this is a familiar problem during the double bass learning process? And if there are some good exercises to create a full hand-feet independency?

Kind Regards,

Not much to do with double bass. More like indrpendance. Work really slow. At the beginning , no tempo , just what goes together (ex: right hand then right hand left hand left foot together , then left hand by itself , and so on )
Then slow tempo. Then speed up.

It takes a while.

Yes, super slow so your mind can truly link the two limbs. If you don't really go turtle slow at first, you may just find one limb just sort of following along. Really getting the impact of both limbs together in your head is essential. One of the first exercises that tore me up at first. Do a RRLL double stroke roll with the feet and then single stroke RLRL on top, then a para diddle RLRRLRLL. This is a good starting place to open up the independence.

Back