how to use Stick Control

There seems to be tons of apps (at least for Android) called "Praxis" for all kinds of uses... Do you have a link or a hint which one you use?

Just do a search for "Praxis: Music Practice Journal" on the App Store. The name of the developer is Enlightened Minds.

Just do a search for "Praxis: Music Practice Journal" on the App Store. The name of the developer is Enlightened Minds.

It's weird - doing that search still gives all the other math-related praxis apps. Instead, remove the 'praxis' part from the search and you'll see the related app about two or three results deep.

Btw, been reading this thread and getting a lot from it. No matter the discipline, logging your practice time/results is indispensible as how else can you measure progress on, say, more than one goal over time?

Downloaded that app. Had been using the notes to log my practice routine - but will see if this is a bit more tailored for my needs. Looks promising.

I see too many people delving into Stick Control when it states clearly in the preface that this is an advanced book. It is more important to have good control over the rudiments before even thinking of stick control

The first five exercises are the first rudiments nearly every student begins with directly after picking up sticks.

These are the very rudiments you say a drummer should have control over first that young, beginner drummers work on, on the very first page.

The first exercise is the very first thing any drummer must be able to do...hit a simple right, left, right, left well.

I'm sure if you've taught at all, you've given students, or were given yourself when you first started lessons, the basic right, left, right, left....right? No pun.

Then maybe you got told to do double stroke...and paradiddle?

Well, that is stick control. You, and every other drummer, start learning the exercises from stick control immediately. Whether it's a five year old or a fifty year old, it's relevant and they are likely doing stick control even if they aren't yet going passed the first page.

My old teacher was a glutton for punishment... he could play anything in that book and continued to blow my mind with it for about a year and then one day he

turned it upside down on the music stand

and played the page at the same speed we had been playing fo the last year but in reverse (hand/foot patterns reversed now and backwards). Think I just got up and walked away. My point is that, when you think you have that book down, just turn it over and you can have another 4 years of learning.

I found that Matt Patella is a wizard with Stick Control book. He's old school (studied and knew Morello real well) and mucho experience. Check out his instructional material on Youtube or his website. His latest is here demonstrating linear with exercises 1-72.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4426T9Oarc

One of my favourite stick control exercises that I came up with years ago is an interpretation for improvising with accented six strokes in 16th triplets. You assign groups of three notes to each right and left on the first page. For each right, play Rll and each left, play rrL. Accenting the note in question.

So the first exercise, single stroke, becomes a standard accented six stroke. RllrrLRllrrL etc...

Jump down to doubles and end up with a hip: RllRllrrLrrL

Paradiddle: RllrrLRllRllrrLRllrrLrrL

I see too many people delving into Stick Control when it states clearly in the preface that this is an advanced book. It is more important to have good control over the rudiments before even thinking of stick control

I don't think so. Years ago (early 90's) I studied with several instructors who were Berklee grads and successful players/instructors, and they had me in Stick Control as a total beginner.
This book really helped me a lot and I always find myself going back to it.
Also, the first several pages ARE mostly rudiments, and combinations of.
Sorry, I beat a dead horse.

I don't think so. Years ago (early 90's) I studied with several instructors who were Berklee grads and successful players/instructors, and they had me in Stick Control as a total beginner.
This book really helped me a lot and I always find myself going back to it.
Also, the first several pages ARE mostly rudiments, and combinations of.
Sorry, I beat a dead horse.

+1 Brian nicely said.

Back