What got you started playing drums?

Stevis

This thread is a thread about the "HOW" that got you into to drums.....I would like to know.....

Music- ( The music and bands who got you into drums)
Drummer- (The drummer who got you into the drums)
Person- ( A specific person you know who got/helped get you into drums)
Style- ( The style you enjoy playing most on drums)
Inspirations- ( Anything that inspired you to play in the first place and keep on playing to the best of your abilities)

Here is mine....

Music- In the beginning such bands as Aerosmith, Sum 41, Metallica, Children of Bodom. Basically the music that got me into it was anything that seemed challenging but not to far out of reach....(and i have come along way since those bands)
Drummer- A specific drummer than inspires me and keeps wanting me to try harder and get better would probobly #1 be John Blackwell. I really like his playing and showmanship. Really a terrific drummer.
Person- My uncle was a direct person that got me into playing drums...He played the drums for 30 some years and had a sweet 16 pc. drumset...whenever I went over there I asked if he could teach me something new and if I would make a good drummer...and he always encouraged me.
Style- Right now I really enjoy playing anything that fits what I'm feeling or enjoy to play... If I could only play three styles though I would pick Funk....Metal....and Jazz....these three styles I really enjoy playing.
Inspirations- My inspirations over the years to drums have been people always telling me what great coordination I have, people recommending I play drums...for several reason a lot of the time teacher because i would bang on the desk and annoy everyone...which i still do to this day.

This is pretty much my "how"...yours can be longer or shorter..doesn't matter...

Re: the "how" thread

Music- Everything I listened to made me want to play drums. From my parents "Party Rock" album to my Judas Priest and Van Halen.
Drummer- Probably my friend Curt.
Person- "same"
Style- Rock, Progressive Rock, Funk, metal, pop. Zappa.
Inspirations- Anyone that kicks ass out there made me want to go home and practice more. I remember playing to the Neil Peart Rush transcription book everyday after school. Then in Grade 9 taping the Who's farewell concert and playing to that every single day in the summer. Hearing the Joe's Garage album and trying to play along. Lol. At least half are playable. Stuff like that.

Music- Music didn't really get me into drums, it came later on. It was just drummers and drumming, seeing them. Playing any style. I was just like "WOW, that's awesome. Someday that'll be me".
Drummer- My drum teacher of course. Out of all of the big ones though, definatly Gadd, Bonham, or Mitch Mitchell.
Person- Both of my parents and my unbelievable drum teacher.
Style- All of them. I don't listen to all styles on a regular basis, but they're fun as hell to play.
Inspirations- My drum teacher Jeff Christmas for one. People like Bonham, Mitch Mitchell, Elvin Jones, Steve Gadd, Buddy, and Cobham really inpired me to dig in and play my best.

Music- I got into drumming from my band band class.
Drummer- Definitely my drum teacher/middle school band director.
Person- Drum teacher, Bonham
Style- Jazz
Inspirations- Bonham

Music- I've been listening to the band Yes literally my whole life and also drumming the same amount of time, the two just seemed to go hand in hand. My dad also is a musician with his own studio and i would play the drumset there (until it got in the way of him working, so he bought me my own sized kit for my first birthday)
Drummer- Bill Bruford and Alan White, the two drummers for Yes. I got the intricacies and out there ideas from Bruford, and the power and eloquence of White.
Person- My father! Bought me my own kit for my first birthday ... there's home video footage of me playing actual beats on the kit way back then!
Style- My style of actual playing is extremely unique, but styles of music would be everything from funk to progressive rock to jazz and pop (if well produced, like Seal or Peter Gabriel, Sting, etc)
Inspirations- The number of virtuosos always surrounding me is always awe inspiring (My father is a master guitar player, and I'm surrounded by others constantly like my drum teacher and Vinnie Moore, etc). Knowing the amount of work they put into getting their playing to the level its at is incredible, and really keeps me pushing my own boundaries...

Music: initially, i paid a lot of attention to ac/dc, simple 4/4 stuff...raised on old rock and outlaw country mostly...got into heavier rock, metal, and progressive as i gained exposure...

Drummer: phil rudd, no one plays 2 and 4 like him...then hair metal showed me showmanship (tommy lee, randy castillo, etc)

Person: an old boss i had...sold him an amp for my granddad, and he said get a drum kit and we'll jam...

Style: my own, mostly straight rock with a developing progressive approach...

Inspiration: definitely mike portnoy, for the range of sounds, the killer chops at any speed, and the down-to-earth guy he was when i met him at a clinic, and he never seems to stop learning...

What made you want to play drums more than anything?

We were all influenced by greats of the 60's 70's & 80's, but before you saw or heard them play, what attracted you to the drums?

My dad used to play drums when I was like 6, I used to sit in front of the bass drums and watch it vibrate and listen to how awesome that sound was. I loved that. After I was old enough to start playing I was then influenced by John Bonham, Neil Peart, e.t.c.

Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

I don't remember what made me want to play...I was too young...maybe the fact that I could bang on things and not get in trouble for it?...LOL....now I know why I like to drum and that's because it's fun for one thing and for two it's what I do....it's in me and always has been and I hope it always will be.

I really just got bored with the Alto Saxophone, and listened to too much Van Halen. Sooo..I wanted to drum.

I really liked music and thought of playing bass... But I was born a tapper... So...

I never really thought of being a drummer - then in Grade 7 at school we were made to learn the basic rock beat. Still never really got into drumming but I was listening to lots of metal bands with wicked drummers - Pantera (Vinnie Paul) and Metallica (Lars). Then my mate got into the drums in Grade 10, started teaching me some basic stuff that he was doing like paradiddles. Then i would copy Lars' songs and ever since ive loved drumming! I am like you Drummerboy - it is part of me and it wont go away!

BonzoJr48 said:
We were all influenced by greats of the 60's 70's & 80's, but before you saw or heard them play, what attracted you to the drums?

My dad used to play drums when I was like 6, I used to sit in front of the bass drums and watch it vibrate and listen to how awesome that sound was. I loved that. After I was old enough to start playing I was then influenced by John Bonham, Neil Peart, e.t.c.

The Groooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove...

I was a really bad piano player?

Well for me it was more who was playing what. And everyone here was playing guitar and i hated that. Everyone who played guitar here sucked except for a few people. It was like a popularity thing. If one person has it everyone does. Anywas i found that very annoying so i originaly started playing bass. I was pretty good to and i was in a band with my 2 best friends. Played my friends drums and loved them. I was instantly hooked. And from there it was drums for me the whole way.

Peace- John

Probably because I had so many people telling me I wouldn't be able to play.

My friend showed me the Led Zeppelin DVD and Bonham's Moby Dick drum solo...i was just shocked that something like the drums, that thing that you never ever really listened for (before you started drumming) and thought was just "there" was something that could be so versatile and so purely musical. Then my friend showed me a paradiddle after watching Moby Dick...i just started there. He brought his set over to my house and he played the guitar with me at the drums...which i applaud him for, because i was not such a good sight at the drums (atleast then)...

Just listening to them as a young child made me feel so drawn too them like bee's to honey. I knew at that point what I wanted to do, and I was here for, even though it took me a second to live up to that.

Dap.

I just wasn't good at the fluite, harmonica or recorder so I played drums. Because I've been tapping on desks at school since grade 2.

When I was two or three my mother bought me one of those "Best of the Muppet Show" tapes and I would sit in front of the TV for hours watching the Buddy Rich/Animal drum battle. My addiction to drums never quit.

when I was like 5 years old I was addicted to marching bands. especially because I liked the sound of the snare drums so much. a few years later my brother got me into listening to guns n' roses but still I liked the drums the most. I remember being so impressed by seeing matt sorum doing a solo on the video tapes my brother had. from there it only got worse ;) I still have one of these tapes and watch it occasinally. I just can't remember the time where I didn't got people crazy about me bangin' on stuff.

Back