Rogers Black Diamond Pearl

S

Stickit

My newly aquired Dayton era Rogers kit in a black diamond finish. This was last night at a gig, the sizes are 8x12, 9x13, 14x14, 14x20 and a 6 1/2x14 Ludwig classic maple snare.
Please excuse the crummy pictures.... camera phone.
07030958.jpg

07030948.jpg

Last edited:
No, I actually just traded in a few cymbals at a local music store and payed $475, I had no idea that I loved Rogers. You learn something new everyday.

Well, I've always like vintage drums and I've played Rogers before, but this kit was like finding the love of your life. They look cool, the are well made and they felt and sounded better than most vintage or modern kis I've played. I'm starting to finally understand why their are so many Rogers fanatics.

Nice drums. seen them over at the ROF also.

Thanks, I know you're the big Rogers guy, do you know why they painted the interiors grey? Was it the same reason Ludwig painted the interiors white?
I've owned several vintage Ludwig and Gretsch kits and although they sounded good, I believe this Rogers sounds better. This is really the first Rogers kit I've actually played at a gig and I was quite impressed. In your expert opinion, would this be do to the sharper bearing edges, or maybe the keller shells?
I want more Rogers.

Last edited:
The gray paint in the interiors finished everything off nicely, was less prone to cracking and lacquer breakdown, and sealed the shells from moisture penetration.

Well, I've always like vintage drums and I've played Rogers before, but this kit was like finding the love of your life. They look cool, the are well made and they felt and sounded better than most vintage or modern kis I've played. I'm starting to finally understand why their are so many Rogers fanatics.

What, specifically, about the sound do you love? Are they bright? Woody? "Different"? Que piensas?

What, specifically, about the sound do you love? Are they bright? Woody? "Different"? Que piensas?

Well, to me, they sounded bigger than their sizes would indicate and the tone was a bit brighter than Ludwig or Slingerland. I believe Rogers cut the bearing edges sharper, so they seem to have a more "modern" sound, but still retain the warm sound of vintage drums. I think due to the thinner maple shells with reinforcement hoops. It's a great combination.
I actually love all the vintage American made drums, but I'm starting to gravitate more towards Rogers.

Back