Gavin Harrison here!

Hi!

Just saw some videos of you from pasic 08. Great job! But I was wondering...do you use two oriental chinas? One on the left and one on the right? What sizes are they?

I wish you a happy new year!

Cheers!
Sondre

Hi!

Just saw some videos of you from pasic 08. Great job! But I was wondering...do you use two oriental chinas? One on the left and one on the right? What sizes are they?

I wish you a happy new year!

Cheers!
Sondre

Hi Dtrocks

12" -right- and 16" -left-, both oriental china. Also the gorgeous 18" Z china on the right.

Hope that helps.
Happy new year everyone!!!!!!!!!

Gus

Hi OriginJM

old were you when you started drumming? About how long before you felt complacent with your drumming and how many teachers have you had, if any?

I was six years old when I started drumming - I had a teacher Joe Hodson from when I was about ten - for about 6 years. Then I studied with Dave Cutler (when I was 18) for a couple of years on and off. Various other drummers helped me along the way. Other than that I just followed my own nose. Feeling complacent with my drumming is a relative thing. For instance I thought I was pretty good until I went for my first lesson with Dave Cutler - then I quickly realised that I sucked. There have been various times when I thought I could play ok - but when I listen back years later it's a different story. It's all progress I suppose.

Hi DTrocks

Gus is correct !!!

Happy new year to everyone that reads this thread.

cheers
Gavin

Gavin,

I enjoy the commentary from time to time and have gotten some really great suggestions regarding gear, technique etc.

Your remarks to the poster asking about your studies, complacency and what not are interesting.

I have been working on my over all feel. Whole and Half note metronome settings, staying very relaxed, consistency in technique. It is surprising to me to find that what I thought was a great feel could be so much better. Its really just a matter of mms.

Would you care to comment on feel, phrasing, and technique?

Hey Gavin,

happy new year! My question is about this post of yours about your snares.

I use a few different snares. Maybe you've seen some stuff on YouTube where I use a small white snare drum? That is one of my favorite Sonor snares. 12 x5 six ply maple Designer Series.

I'm in love with this snare drum, really. But I don't find it at shops or even on the Sonor homepage. Or do you mean this snare? Could you give me the correct article name/description of it?
And I'm also interested in the one you use in the Futile clip on YouTube.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, and greetings from germany. Hope to see you back with PT here soon.

phil

Last edited:
Gavin,

Im really enjoying the interview/pasic clips on the vicfirth website. Im curious if there is going to be a release of your full pasic performance. Those small snippets in the interviews are really teasing me.

Best regards,

Mike.

dRUM bUM

Hi Gav :D
Happy new year :)

First of all, I just have to say that you are an amazing person and an amazing drummer. You are one of the main reasons that I started to take drums seriously.

1 question though :p Can you please tell me what China cymbals you have? The smallest one, is it a 12" Oriental Trash? And if it is, would you recommend it?

Re: dRUM bUM

1 question though :p Can you please tell me what China cymbals you have? The smallest one, is it a 12" Oriental Trash? And if it is, would you recommend it?

There's an answer for that on this page. 16" Oriental Trash on the left, 12" on the right, and a 18" Z on the right also. You could also read that in his Wikipedia entry. ;)

What makes me look twice is the "EFX" in this listing. Never heard of that.

Hi phil_EN

That is one of my favorite Sonor snares. 12 x5 six ply maple Designer Series.
I'm in love with this snare drum, really. But I don't find it at shops or even on the Sonor homepage. Or do you mean this snare? Could you give me the correct article name/description of it?

They don't make the Designer Series anymore. It got replaced with their SQ2 series. It's just 6 ply Maple - so it's very similar to the drum that you pointed out.

And I'm also interested in the one you use in the Futile clip on YouTube.

That drum is a 14x6 Cottonwood and is part of their current "Artist Series" snares.

What makes me look twice is the "EFX" in this listing. Never heard of that.

It's an effect cymbal that they made back in the late 80's early 90's.

Hi Zildjian232

Im really enjoying the interview/pasic clips on the vicfirth website. Im curious if there is going to be a release of your full pasic performance. Those small snippets in the interviews are really teasing me.

No there won't be because I played a lot of the songs at the Modern Drummer Fest which should be out on DVD within a few months. I'm sure it will be advertised in MD and at the Hudson Music site. Most of the talking I did on that PASIC clinic is already up on the Vic Firth site.

Hi DrummerDavid

How was it like working with Iggy? Is he as crazy as he seems?

It was great fun to work with him. I've never seen anyone work harder on stage than he does. It was quite an education for me because I didn't know much about him or his music when I joined. I didn't feel he was crazy.

Hi Mikael_J@hasvik

The smallest one, is it a 12" Oriental Trash? And if it is, would you recommend it?

Correct, and yes I would recommend it.

I have searched this thread with that link about the chimes you use, but never found out from what cymbals they were made from? (Unless I haven't looked properly!)

What were they (if you can remember!). I think I recall seeing a zildjian logo on one.

Oh and happy new year! :)

I just got a 13x7 Sonor Amboina and it's fantastic.
cheers
Gavin

:) aah going deeper than 5"
i was wondering... exactly how the sound of that snare would differ from a 13x5 of the same series...same make...same wood and number of plies.... ?
(im guessing... deeper the snare the lower it would sound with the same tension on the skins
and it would probably produce some more reverb ?)

finally gettin my gavin bell tomorrow :D
and my experimental cymbal....im just hoping it doesnt sound like a kitchen vessel

Hi Gavin,

I'm not a drummer but musicians like you, Martin Lopez and Chris Maitland really opened my eyes to how amazing the drums can be.

For fun and practice, I decided to try and recreate the sound of your kit based on 'She's moved on' from Deadwing. The sound was sculpted from scratch using Addictive Drums sampler.
As I went along, I thought 'what the heck', and recorded the bass and guitars.

http://www.sniecikowski.com/uploads/shesmovedon_jacek.mp3

Since there's no person that knows your sound better, can you tell me what could I improve?
My guess is that for the snare you are using a pretty short gate and make it up with a little of room reverb, which I probably have too much in this sample...

Edit:
I guess drum only version makes more sense:
http://www.sniecikowski.com/uploads/shesmovedon_drums.mp3

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi Gavin! I am a massive fan, you are a perfect drummer to me.

Anyway, on to the point. I am planning on applying to the Jazz program for percussion at the University of Toronto for 2010.

Now, I need to do an audition. I would love any advice you can give, because I will have to be playing on a completely new kit, and I will have to be playing with completely new musicians (rhythm section) along to the songs I am going to be learning.

Any advice on preparing for this? I will have over a year to prepare, take more lessons, etc...

I've been playing for nearly 5 years, 3 and a half with formal lessons.

"Drums

Drummers do not have a required piece but will be asked to play 3 contrasting selections. Choose from the list of 50 pre approved tunes. Please prepare 4 songs, one from each category. Swing, Ballad, and Straight Eight feel (Latin or even eighth jazz) and Waltz ¾. You may be asked to play an extended solo as well as trade 4’s or 8’s with the rhythm section.

You will prepare 4 selections but will only be asked to play 3 songs in total. "

Also, a link to all the pre-approved songs

http://www.music.utoronto.ca/students/prospective/undergrad/BMus_ArtD/Requirements/Audition/audreqjazz/suggestions.htm

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hi Drizzle

Hey Gavin any progress on th double drop clutch?

No progress to report at this moment.

Hi drumbumhamza

I just got a 13x7 Sonor Amboina and it's fantastic. :) aah going deeper than 5"
i was wondering... exactly how the sound of that snare would differ from a 13x5 of the same series...same make...same wood and number of plies.... ?

It has a nice beefyness to it - I don't have a 13x5 of the same series - so I can't compare it.

Hi JacentyS

For fun and practice, I decided to try and recreate the sound of your kit based on 'She's moved on' from Deadwing. The sound was sculpted from scratch using Addictive Drums sampler.

I don't quite understand - are you playing an electronic kit and triggering sounds in a sampler? Maybe you can explain to me a bit more about "Addictive Drums Sampler".

Since there's no person that knows your sound better, can you tell me what could I improve?

The snare is sounding a bit "splat" to me - but I'm not sure what you're really trying to achieve here.

Hi Alex P.

1 - In "Nil Recurring", at 4' 05", and 4' 14", between the hi-hat and the ride,
is it RLLRRLRL LRRLR, or, RLRLRLRL RLRLR, or, RLLRLLRL LRLLR ??
Or maybe it's something else...

I think it's this R l r r l l R l r r l l R L . The "R"s are on the bell and with a bass drum the "l" are on the hi hat and the last "L" is the snare drum accent

2 - Still in "Nil Recurring" ; the end is very hard to transcribe... Do you think this is
good (picture below) ?

I don't know because it's going so fast. HAHAHAHA

Hi Nisstyre56

Anyway, on to the point. I am planning on applying to the Jazz program for percussion at the University of Toronto for 2010. Now, I need to do an audition. I would love any advice you can give, because I will have to be playing on a completely new kit, and I will have to be playing with completely new musicians (rhythm section) along to the songs I am going to be learning.Any advice on preparing for this? I will have over a year to prepare, take more lessons, etc...

My advice would be to learn the 4 songs inside out - and when the day of the audition comes - really open your ears and LISTEN - don't try to impress the judges with flashy stuff - they have seen it all before. Try to pick up on what the other musicians are playing and show the judges that you can play musically. Try to keep the time as nice as possible and play a supportive role.

cheers
Gavin

Back