Tell me your favorite Phil Collins' songs to play

One piece of Phil's drumming that never gets mentioned is Do They Know It's Christmas, the Band Aid charity single. Apparently he nailed it in 2 takes and considering the people who were in that room watching him and the pressure he was under to deliver on time I consider it to be amongst his best work.

It's actually a really nice groove and although the toms get lost in the mix a bit (thank Midge Ure working all night with no sleep for that) I think you'd really enjoy having a go at it.

Great choice!

And I agree it really shows off Phil's feel and groove. His way of making a groove feel loose and yet perfectly in time is really hard to pull off. Most guys that play along to drum machines or metronomes end up sounding stiff but Phil's drumming is anything but.

Another somewhat forgotten gem is Phil's work on Howard Jones' No One Is To Blame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pekhxxngQ3s

And I agree it really shows off Phil's feel and groove. His way of making a groove feel loose and yet perfectly in time is really hard to pull off. Most guys that play along to drum machines or metronomes end up sounding stiff but Phil's drumming is anything but.

Another somewhat forgotten gem is Phil's work on Howard Jones' No One Is To Blame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pekhxxngQ3s

another good choice! i had no idea phil played drums on that track. This is one I will definitely work on, I really like the feel of it.

Also, just so everyone knows, I took a look at In the Mood tonight.. great song, don't think I'm quite ready for that one yet. Just can't get the feel of the hh work with my sticks. I would pobably have to see that one wriiten out so I'd know what I'm doing. I think I'll wait a little while on that one (although I must thank you for putting that song in my head all day...I can't seem to get rid of it! lol).

If you want to call Chester a "cover" drummer, then consider reading about his history
a bit more before assigning that label.

I didn't label him at all, other than 'good'. Actually I should have said 'great'!
My point was he's covering Phils drumming, IN Genesis i.e. "from the Genesis point of view (your words).
I never said he is universally a 'cover' drummer.
You clearly prefer him and I'm really glad for that.

In case anyone was curious here's my PC set list that I've decided to work on for now:

Paperlate....nice and short with some simple fills during the verse that I've been trying to get right

Don't Care Anymore...gives me some "tom" time that I don't feel I get enough of

Bad Love (Clapton)...because it's always been one of my all time favorite songs and when I started drumming it was one I wanted to learn play. I've tried it before but it was a while ago and I think I'm better prepared for it now.

No One is to Blame (H. Jones)...something different and I really like the feel of it. It's another one of those it just makes me happy to play it songs :)

Maybe not some of the more iconic PC songs but I'll save those for later. If I'm able to make any progress maybe I'll create a little video montage or something for your viewing pleasure (or cringe factor! Lol). Thanks again for all the input. I've had fun going back and listening to some of these songs that I'd forgotten about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1kDmnHyOBg Easy Lover!

Each valentines day me and my friends roll around with fake guns singing "he's an uuuzzzziii lover"

also my mates reckon phil collins is a massive douche who destroyed genesis, so i don't listen to him much.

I've always liked the drumming on Clapton's "Bad Love" but I never realized that was Phill.

Did anyone mention "Open Arms" by Robert Plant? It's has a brilliant mix of some Bonham style feel and groove, but also some prog-rock influences.

Really amazing that in the early 80's Phill found time to do his solo stuff, play on all these other albums and still be in Genesis.

When I used to do a Genesis tribute band I enjoyed "Los Endos" a lot .... there's a bit here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDE-nyEvLpQ&list=UUi6RpRHxUqWH6sqU1eYFGjA

I have nothing but respect for what Phil Collins did on those records and it was a great musical experience.

"Cinema Show" was a joy to play, as was "Dancing With the Moonlight Knight" and "Afterglow" was always moving.

My favourite was probably "One For The Vine" not so much for the drum part, but because the music was so engaging.

Doesn't anybody stay together anymore off No jacket required. Not sure if it was the Tr-909 or him but I like the song a lot and he never plays it live like the album, which I wasn't thrilled about.

Nice to see Phil getting some cred on here. All of these are great suggestions. I like Genesis "Fading Lights." Lots of good stuff in there. Phil is reason I learned to play fully left-handed. One of my first influences.

My drumming basically began with the Abacab and Duke albums. Turn it on again and Dodo are two I still enjoy playing. Playing in metal bands in the mid 90's, mentioning Phil Collins as my biggest influence would always get my bandmates chuckling. Playing them side three of Three Sides Live opened their eyes. He wasn't just the ballad machine they thought he was.

Back