I broke my snare throw off

HeadRush

broke a bolt on my wood snare
so I put my wires and snare side head on my extra steel snare and I love it
now I just need to fix my wood one

how should I go about doing that?
should I get a whole new throw off?
(I honestly don't like the one I have)
or should I just try to work with what I have?

by the way I want to use my wood on the side and tune it very tight

If all you broke was a bolt/screw, I would go down to your local hardware store and buy a matching new one - you can even get a stainless steel one - maybe with a torx head for better aesthetics - maybe even buy 2 so the other one matches. Bring the other bolt to match the thread size and length.

yeah
but there are also tuning problems with my snare
some of the lugs are missing bolts as well and I can get even tuning at all
plus I need new wires and it just has a lot of problems
(I got it used)
maybe do you think I should just get like a piccolo or popcorn snare instead of throwing money into this snare?

yeah
but there are also tuning problems with my snare
some of the lugs are missing bolts as well and I can get even tuning at all
plus I need new wires and it just has a lot of problems
(I got it used)
maybe do you think I should just get like a piccolo or popcorn snare instead of throwing money into this snare?

I think if you like the sound of this snare and all it needs is a couple of bolts and new wires - then you will be spending $20 to get it back to normal working condition as opposed to buying a whole new snare. Of course, a whole new snare presents more opportunities like choosing the right sound for your needs. I personally would fix the one you have - get it to tune right and have it as a backup at least. if you need a new snare then that shouldn't stop you from getting one. Some gigs I bring a 2nd snare anyway just in case I break a snare head and need to swap out a new snare quickly.

I think I might do that
but I'm really low on cash cuz I'm an unemployed student
haha
but I'll work it out

I second fixing up the snare. Until you get the new tension rods in, theres no chance of even tuning, but those are only a couple bucks. The snare wires will run you $10 to $20, and the throw-off will start at $20 unless you just want to match bolts at Ace or Home Depot. It would be worth it to fix up though, even if you buy one later and have to sell this one, just because a snare with missing lugs, crappy wires, and a broken strainer will sell for nothing, but if everything is in good condition, that $20-$30 you spend on it now will easily be recovered.
And I see you're in Litchfield Park (I'm over in Tempe at ASU), so the Guitar Center in Avondale should have everything you need, or the downtown Phoenix one definitely

And I see you're in Litchfield Park (I'm over in Tempe at ASU), so the Guitar Center in Avondale should have everything you need, or the downtown Phoenix one definitely

maybe even the best buy over by you! haha

so I fixed up the snare (plenty of screws in my garage)
but my lugs are beggining to fall off!
I'm starting to get really really upset with pdp
the original screws are all falling out constantly (not the screws I found)

maybe even the best buy over by you! haha

so I fixed up the snare (plenty of screws in my garage)
but my lugs are beggining to fall off!
I'm starting to get really really upset with pdp
the original screws are all falling out constantly (not the screws I found)

Hey HeadRush,

Dude, slow down and think things through. The simple question is what do I need to do to fix it? The answer is get the right parts. How do I do that? Go to the source. Why don't you email Pacific, clearly tell them what's going on and ask what replacement parts you would need. In this case, what screw size and if you need a washer?

To save you some time I took a few minutes and did it for you. I got a response within 10 minutes. DW's custome service is really good.

Here's the email string:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I hope you can help me. I have a used PDP CX kit and I’m missing lug screws on my snare. Do you have the specs of the type of screws and washers PDP uses? I was thinking I could go to hardware store and purchase what I need, or is this a special item I should get from Pacific directly or a Pacific Dealer? I’m just trying to get my kit up and running.

Thanks

From DW Customer Service:

Thanks for your inquiry and your kind words,

We do sell the lug screws you need(PDSP10140F) and they are available for special order from any of our authorized dealers

http://www.dwdrums.com/info/locator.htm.

The size on those screws is 10/24. Have a great rest to your week!

Best Regards,
Jon Dewey
Customer Service Representative/Key Accounts
Drum Workshop, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also did a google search of the part listed in the email and found a parts blow out of the snare drum.

Be patient. Everything can be fixed and for a lot cheaper than you think.

Best,
rjvsmb

Attachments

• PDP_SNARE_DRUM.pdf
    282.5 KB · Views: 213
Hey HeadRush,

Dude, slow down and think things through. The simple question is what do I need to do to fix it? The answer is get the right parts. How do I do that? Go to the source. Why don't you email Pacific, clearly tell them what's going on and ask what replacement parts you would need. In this case, what screw size and if you need a washer?

To save you some time I took a few minutes and did it for you. I got a response within 10 minutes. DW's custome service is really good.

Here's the email string:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I hope you can help me. I have a used PDP CX kit and I’m missing lug screws on my snare. Do you have the specs of the type of screws and washers PDP uses? I was thinking I could go to hardware store and purchase what I need, or is this a special item I should get from Pacific directly or a Pacific Dealer? I’m just trying to get my kit up and running.

Thanks

From DW Customer Service:

Thanks for your inquiry and your kind words,

We do sell the lug screws you need(PDSP10140F) and they are available for special order from any of our authorized dealers

http://www.dwdrums.com/info/locator.htm.

The size on those screws is 10/24. Have a great rest to your week!

Best Regards,
Jon Dewey
Customer Service Representative/Key Accounts
Drum Workshop, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also did a google search of the part listed in the email and found a parts blow out of the snare drum.

Be patient. Everything can be fixed and for a lot cheaper than you think.

Best,
rjvsmb

thanks a lot dude
that was a lot of work to do for me haha
I'll work on getting the RIGHT parts and try not to over-react
it's just that my set has been developing many new problems recently and its been getting to me
but thanks a lot

thanks a lot dude
that was a lot of work to do for me haha
I'll work on getting the RIGHT parts and try not to over-react
it's just that my set has been developing many new problems recently and its been getting to me
but thanks a lot

No problem what so ever. We're here to help, inform and teach.

Never hesitate to ask questions - EVER.

Last edited:
That's the one thing that will help ever drummer, and hinder the ones who can't handle it.

You must become a repairman for your drums, you must learn to diagnose, repair or replace parts and fine tune your instrument's workings before you can tune it to PLAY it!! It's just not practical to run to the nearest repair guy for the smallest problems, not to mention what it will cost you in DOLLARS!!!!

I've seen all TOO many drummers who let a small problem go unfixed and it makes for an EXPENSIVE problem down the road.

If you keep up on the simple things, and maybe even learn some preemptive measures for your particular brand/type of drum or kit you can quell MOST breakdowns that occur BEFORE they are a big problem. That way they are not happening on GIGS, which makes for a REALLY BIG hassle!!!

Back