Why do the wooden hoops on this snare have flat straight sections?

Those should be located at the strainer and buttplate as they allow clearance for the throwoff action. Looks like an install fail.

The only thing that makes sense is what Wally said. Initially, I thought it might be for the snare basket to grab it, but no.

Maybe it's a cutout for the drummers knees? That could be it too.

The Yamaha version of those multilayer wood hoops have only one flat section, and it is meant to go where the strainer is, leaving room for the throw off's lever to clear the hoop if it is long.
I don't what the hell is going on with the one you pictured, it seems to serve no purpose. Is it a Tama SLP?

Neal

The flat sections also allow you to position drums a little closer together, granted that's more helpful on toms than a snare, but a little leg clearance wouldn't hurt either.

Everything I have seen has the snare cut outs on the reso side and one flat spot to accomodate the snare strainer on the batter side. This may have been a miscut and sold cheap.

Very confusing. the gates for the snares are line up, so the flat side would face the tom/toms, and the player. with the little amount gained, it makes no sense to me.

It looks like a Tama SLP Studio Maple snare.
Check the 360 view at Sweetwater: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LMP1465FSEN
One flat section on the batter and two, 90 and 270 angled to that, on the resonant hoop.
Seems an optical / design feature to me.

I keep my snares on the floor behind my kit, lined up and sitting on their sides. It seems like this snare would like to roll if it didn't have a low spot on the hoop. And if they're going to cut one flat edge, why not cut two and make it symmetrical? Or maybe they just thought it would look cool.

Also, I've seen some tama snares with really wide snare beds, to the point where the bottom edge was like a pringles chip. Perhaps these cutouts make the hoop more flexible at the highest points of the bottom edge, so that they're more flexible and the bottom head can be more easily tuned.

Those are my best guesses.

The cuts are there so that the throw off lever and tall-butt-plates (the adjustable ones with a knob on top) do not hit the rim.

I didn't notice on first glance that the snares run opposite the flat side. Huh?

I didn't notice on first glance that the snares run opposite the flat side. Huh?

Since his butt-plate and throw lever don't interfere, he is able to put it in any direction. It looks like he chose the perpendicular orientation to maintain semetry and give it a neat look.

I think it's made that way so, in addition to being pissed that those plied & glued hoops are sucking all the life out of your drum, you can also be angry that the appearance of said hoops is all janked up. Sort of spreads out the disappointment a bit.

;-)

Those should be located at the strainer and buttplate as they allow clearance for the throwoff action. Looks like an install fail.

+ !.They were improperly installed.That flat spot is suppose to give you strainer/butt clearence.

Steve B

There is one flat on the top hoop for throwoff clearance. There are two on the bottom hoop to provide a little extra knee room.

They aren't miscut, they are opposite the snare gates on purpose, because the snare throwoff is designed to go between your legs on this design, not on the left where most of us put it. You'll notice the badge position is correct for this arrangement, too.

Tama makes other 8 lug snares such that the badge will show toward the front of the kit when the snare is positioned this way, and on the wrapped drums the position of the seam supports this design. My Ludwig Acro badge is also positioned this way.

Agree or disagree with the design, it is on purpose.

Last edited:
Seems like it's for knee clearance around the drum since the wood hoops are probably adding an inch to the diameter of the drum. I know that I've smashed my knees into my snare on a few occasions and it wasn't fun.

There is one flat on the top hoop for throwoff clearance. There are two on the bottom hoop to provide a little extra knee room.

They aren't miscut, they are opposite the snare gates on purpose, because the snare throwoff is designed to go between your legs on this design, not on the left where most of us put it. You'll notice the badge position is correct for this arrangement, too.

Tama makes other 8 lug snares such that the badge will show toward the front of the kit when the snare is positioned this way, and on the wrapped drums the position of seem supports this design. My Ludwig Acro badge is also positioned this way.

Agree or disagree with the design, it is on purpose.

This is the answer we should believe

Back