Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5" x 14" - Video

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Picked up a Sensitone Elite Aluminum snare drum two days ago and spent a good while today dialing it and my COB Supra in for these tones.

I'm looking for a second snare that does a nice hard rock, classic rock, fusion, etc... type of tone, but doesn't stray TOO far from the Supra. I can return this Sensitone within 30 days, so I'm really trying to run it through it's paces.

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-3TzuPyC5g

Cool vid!! Snare comparisons are always great... I have to say that both of those drums sound nice - but I think the Brass Supra can cover whatever the Pearl can do, doesn't seem like you need the Sensitone!! I'll have to give it another listen...

Cool vid!! Snare comparisons are always great... I have to say that both of those drums sound nice - but I think the Brass Supra can cover whatever the Pearl can do, doesn't seem like you need the Sensitone!! I'll have to give it another listen...

Thanks man! I pretty much agree with ya!

This Sensitone Elite does impress me, though. The lugs seem nice, the throwoff is smooth, it came with nice snare cord, has what seem like nice snare wires, it came stock with real Remo heads, etc... Nice drum! Makes me want to try other Sensitone models!

I was going to get a new acrolite, but decided to try this Pearl. Not sure what to do now! LOL

Last edited:
That is a really nice snare. I can see it is 'close' in sound to the Supra you have already, I do prefer the deeper snare if I had to keep just one.
But teh Sensitone does have a personality of its own, aluminum being a little softer. I'd take your Sensitone over an Acrolite (a snare I also love), so I'd say your shopping is done. My guess, however, is your Sensitone costs more than an Acro.

That is a really nice snare. I can see it is 'close' in sound to the Supra you have already, I do prefer the deeper snare if I had to keep just one.
But teh Sensitone does have a personality of its own, aluminum being a little softer. I'd take your Sensitone over an Acrolite (a snare I also love), so I'd say your shopping is done. My guess, however, is your Sensitone costs more than an Acro.

The Sensitone new was $215 or so after taking 15% off. A new Acro is around $100 more? Still very close. I will say that the Pearl feels like a more solid drum with the nice throwoff, nice snare wire, etc...

I would've just bought a used Acro for $100, but there's not a nice one locally that I can see and hear first.

I'm curious, why would you take this Sensitone over an Acrolite? Same reasons I gave above?

Any other input?

This doesn't come across in the video, but another cool thing is that the Pearl snare is quieter. I play some places that want us to keep it down, so that may be another reason for me to keep the Pearl?

Still undecided at this point, although I have nothing but praise for the Pearl so far.

They both sound nice, and unless you're married to Ludwig or something, I'd keep the Pearl.

It's a really nice drum, and you already have it, it's dialed in.... ....it has CORD on it :p....

I like Pearl's Sensitone snares. Nice prices too.

I like both but the supra wins with my ears but that's just because you did the side by side comparison. I'd definitely keep the sensitone, it's a very nice snare for the money.

I have two sensitones, a brass with die cast hoops and a bronze one. Love them both.

I also have a Ludwig BB and bronze supra and love those two as well just a little more than my sensitones lol.

I don't want to sell any of them ;-)

Congrats on the new snare!

In my view the sound of the supra is way superior to the Pearl snare. It has balls that the pearl lacks, probably due to the extra depth. I'd send the pearl back and if I wanted 2 distinct drum sounds, head in another direction- probably maple.

In my view the sound of the supra is way superior to the Pearl snare. It has balls that the pearl lacks, probably due to the extra depth. I'd send the pearl back and if I wanted 2 distinct drum sounds, head in another direction- probably maple.

In my opinion, the Pearl sounds just as good as the Supra as far as quality, but of course it sounds different. The Supra is my main snare and I don't see that changing anytime soon!

THanks everyone.

Is that a Brass Edition Ludwig you have? You said it was a COB (Chrome Over Brass).

My Brass Edition sounds quite a bit different than the Brushed Aluminum Acro, which is also 6.5.
However, the BE sounds just like the BB's I have. The finish (Chrome vs. Black Nickel) doesn't make a difference between them at all to my ear.

Is that a Brass Edition Ludwig you have? You said it was a COB (Chrome Over Brass).

My Brass Edition sounds quite a bit different than the Brushed Aluminum Acro, which is also 6.5.
However, the BE sounds just like the BB's I have. The finish (Chrome vs. Black Nickel) doesn't make a difference between them at all to my ear.

Yeah, my Supra is brass. I dig it! Alot!

Back