Joe Morello passes away

Re: JOE MORELLO PASSES AWAY

Terrible tragedy to the musical community and all those who knew and loved him. Our condolences to his family and friends. He was a true artist and inspiration to so many and will continue to be such for generation upon generation to come.

RIP Joe.

I just can't imagine one calling themselves a student of the drums, and not cite Joe as an inspiration. An absolute master.....an artist....all of us here, who understand the art of percussion, will always have giants like Joe to aspire to. I hope Joe had a wonderful life, and knew people across the world were fondly reminiscing, and remembering him.....

=( sad to hear this... Joe Morello been a huge inspiration to me. He just played drums so melodically it was beautiful. And on a 4-piece to boot.

Sad news indeed. Another giant leaves us. My condolences to his family and friends.

Very sad. I remember listening to "Take Five" when I was about 7 years old and thinking that the drums were what I would be playing. He inspired and taught many people, probably every drummer on this board.

His medical issues were not released to the public. We should all respect the privacy of his family and focus on Joe's great career.

Last edited:

Very sad to hear about Joe's passing. He is my favorite drummer and a huge inspiration.
I had hoped I would have the opportunity to meet him.

Rest in peace, Joe. You were always one of my favorites. Your style and technique were unmatched. Thank you for the inspiration.

joe morello passing 12th march 2011.tributes here please..

very sad to hear of joes passing,one of the most musical drummers ever,and a joy to hear always,the solo "shortnin bread" should be heard by every drummer below the age of 40 to hear what artistry can be achieved with a drum kit,.BBC and other sound engineers here in the uk should be made to listen to "bravo brubeck" /recorded live in mexico would you believe,to understand how drums should sound,joe,the ludwigs and old a zildjians have no equal anywhere.malcolm and susan ross scotland

Last edited:
Re: joe morello passing 12th march 2011.tributes here please..

Also very saddened by Joe's passing. I am very new to drumming, and only found out about Joe Morello about a year ago while watching youtube videos. I was somewhat familiar with some of DBQ's music as my Grandfather was a big fan of Jazz, but I didn't know anything about Joe. When I started playing drums, I would sit and watch those videos for hours and read about different drummers. Joe captivated me. His understated demeanor and effortless technique were intriguing and his melodic sensibilities appealed to me more than any other drummer I've found thus far. I have read that he was a very humble person and extremely nice to everyone and those are characteristics which I have great respect for...especially in this day and age of arrogance and excess. I knew that it was a very minute chance but I really hoped that I would have had the opportunity to meet him before he passed...unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. Rest Peacefully Mr. Morello and please keep that beat until we get there.

Well done, Mr. Morello. Well done. RIP.

THIS IS A TRIBUTE TO MISTER JOE MORELLO, WHO PASSED FROM THIS WORLD ON MARCH 12, 2011. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, JOE MORELLO
WAS THE KIND OF MUSICIAN THAT MADE PEOPLE OOOH, AND AAAHHH.
BUT QUIETLY. JOE MORELLO WAS A WARRIOR. JOE MORELLO STOOD
FOR QUALITY. JOE MORELLO CAME FROM A TIME WHEN DRUMMERS WANTED TO BE LEGIT. I MEAN THEY WANTED TO LEARN HOW TO READ
MUSIC, LEARN THE RUDIMENTS...YOU KNOW....BECOME A DRUMMER IN
THE REAL SENSE. LISTEN TO JOE MORELLO DO ANYTHING. HE MADE LOVE TO MUSIC. GOD REST YOUR WONDERFUL SOUL, SIR.

SADLY, BUZ , GROVE, OK

THIS IS A TRIBUTE TO MISTER JOE MORELLO, WHO PASSED FROM THIS WORLD ON MARCH 12, 2011. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, JOE MORELLO
WAS THE KIND OF MUSICIAN THAT MADE PEOPLE OOOH, AND AAAHHH.
BUT QUIETLY. JOE MORELLO WAS A WARRIOR. JOE MORELLO STOOD
FOR QUALITY. JOE MORELLO CAME FROM A TIME WHEN DRUMMERS WANTED TO BE LEGIT. I MEAN THEY WANTED TO LEARN HOW TO READ
MUSIC, LEARN THE RUDIMENTS...YOU KNOW....BECOME A DRUMMER IN
THE REAL SENSE. LISTEN TO JOE MORELLO DO ANYTHING. HE MADE LOVE TO MUSIC. GOD REST YOUR WONDERFUL SOUL, SIR.

SADLY, BUZ , GROVE, OK

Nice .... shouty but nice

Back