check this bad boy out!!!

I heard them being demonstrated at their launch. I was looking round for someone hitting a large cardboard box with a herring, but then saw this. As you can imagine, it does wonders for your bass drum resonance.

If you like the sound of a single headed bass drum, or you ordinarily cut a 12" hole in your reso head, & want to fit something the chicks can't resist bending over to look into (comes complete with optional puppy), then go for it :) For "laundry syndrome" lovers, it actually looks a bit like a spin dryer too. Cool product!

Looks like something Alex Van Halen would have used in 1985.

Not for me, I like a full front bass drum head when it's possible.

Using an advanced mathematical algorithm in the construction and shape of the flared ported horn, the drumport © is designed to regenerate the sonic and subsonic waves that emanate from the bass drum batter head

I can't comment on the actual product, but this kind of write up is hilarious. They should start writing bodybuilding supplement ads, they'd make mint.

Looks like this came after the KickPort. Probably hoping to strike it big off us predictable gear-buyers! The write up is hilarious, as someone who took a couple years of marketing, I can see where they're coming from. Trying to sound all sciency (not a real word) and end up sounding dumb. Don't think I'd buy it, but it'd be interesting to maybe play around with one.

If this thing reminds people of a bum hole, then what comes out of it must be ... ?

It looks kind of space age in a steampunk / Jetsons kind of way.

Just thinking that if the megaport enhances bass frequencies it could be nice on my 16" x 16" (or 14") RT kick drum - if they make one that small.

If this thing reminds people of a bum hole, then what comes out of it must be ... ?
Well Pol, I've heard it in "action", & that's pretty much what I heard.

Ok, trying to be fair, maybe the guys demoing at the London Drum Show weren't good at tuning a bass drum. Maybe the drum itself was of poor quality, I don't know, but the sound was as flat as hell. That said, so were most of the bass drums on display at the show, according to my ears anyhow.

I'm sure that a spectrum analyser would show some gain at the lower frequencies, otherwise, the makers would have no claim credibility. To me, it's a classic case of, just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

Well Pol, I've heard it in "action", & that's pretty much what I heard.

Ok, trying to be fair, maybe the guys demoing at the London Drum Show weren't good at tuning a bass drum. Maybe the drum itself was of poor quality, I don't know, but the sound was as flat as hell. That said, so were most of the bass drums on display at the show, according to my ears anyhow.

I'm sure that a spectrum analyser would show some gain at the lower frequencies, otherwise, the makers would have no claim credibility. To me, it's a classic case of, just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

But if most of the drums didn't sound good then that means the megaport wasn't necessarily the culprit ...? I take it the acoustics weren't helpful for low frequencies.

Maybe some acoustic baffles or reflecting surfaces with more attention paid to tuning would be a good investment. Surely if the acoustics were great and all the drums sounded great then they'd improve sales.

Cool???

I'm yet to see a cool looking anus. But hey, it takes all types, right? :)

Polly, if you put a 16" chocolate starfish on your drum, I'm gonna kill the cockroach!!

Yes, anuses weren't designed with aesthetics in mind but I do think the sleek electro anus look is pretty cool.

You're right ... a 16" chocolate starfish on my kick would be AWESOME! Thanks for the support!

:)

But if most of the drums didn't sound good then that means the megaport wasn't necessarily the culprit ...? I take it the acoustics weren't helpful for low frequencies.

Maybe some acoustic baffles or reflecting surfaces with more attention paid to tuning would be a good investment. Surely if the acoustics were great and all the drums sounded great then they'd improve sales.
TBH Pol, the reasons most of the bass drums in that exhibition sounded flat were, they either weren't tuned properly, or they were just plain crap. The "arseport" sounded more crap than most.

Back