Can we have a 'like' button?

I support the idea of a 'like' button if it is used appropriately, and I also support a 'dislike' button. Maybe Youtube style thumbs up and thumbs down buttons would be better.

It would be great for those instances where you agree or disagree with somebody, but don't want to make another redundant post as to why that person is right or wrong that somebody else has already made. Or, you could just give somebody a little thanks for giving some good advice in those instances in which somebody is looking for help or opinions. Then, the person could have an easier time making that decision by comparing which suggestions have the most likes or dislikes

If I posted a thread saying something like "I'm getting this buzzing ring from my floor tom. What's the best way to fix it? Should I just use dampening?", and one person said to put some Moon Gels on it and got a few likes, but another person posted a link to the drum tuning bible, and got far more likes, I would decide to focus on tuning, rather than dampening. This, of course, is just an example.

I could see it decreasing the number of instances in which a thread is derailed. Say, somebody makes a comment, but includes something that is off-topic, you could just give the individual post a little 'thumbs up' to show that you agree, or vice versa, without continuing an off-topic discussion on somebody's thread.

It could also lead to a less talkative and interactive forum, however, which I don't like the idea of. And of course, you'd have those people just posting things to see how many 'likes' they could get.

I feel like most of us are smart enough to use like and/or dislike buttons responsibly.

I'm much more likely to dislike a like button than I am likely to like a dislike button.

Another positive thing about having a "Like" feature is that I think discussions would last longer. On other forums, if it weren't for my posts being liked, I would have never revisited the thread. Usually, when posts are liked, they are replied to. There's been a few times where I've replied to a thread and then completely forgotten about it, only to go back to it a week later and see that somebody had replied to what I had said.

Re: Can we have a like button

can god not influence human mind? if he can then he had no need to come to earth and proove his existence. if no then he is not omnipotent and he need not be there.

...What?

―_________

When I see a thread with 9,800 + views and only a handful of comments then I am assured that the current system needs reviewed.

A nice big thumbs up (or thumbs down) to let people swiftly interact and have a voice.

Often still I have a desire to contribute when I've enjoyed reading something.

When I see a thread with 9,800 + views and only a handful of comments then I am assured that the current system needs reviewed.

A nice big thumbs up (or thumbs down) to let people swiftly interact and have a voice.

Good lord mate. Two whole years of stewing over this relatively minor episode in the course of your life? You could have set up your very own forum, complete with any buttons you saw fit to include in that time.

Surely it's time to move on, no?

Often still I have a desire to contribute when I've enjoyed reading something.

So contribute. It would be welcomed. That's what this entire place is all about.

Just don't make the mistake of confusing pushing a button that expresses neither thought nor reason, as contribution. It's simply not......not in any language.

From the FORUM RULES:

The metaphor that we like to use is that of a dinner party.

At a dinner party, people might be inclined to nod in agreement or say "hear, hear!" or even "I LIKE THAT" after someone is done sharing their opinion. That's cool in real life because I can make a reasonable asessment of those people, because they're right in front of me and can be held accountable for their opinions and I've likely already been conversing with them. I can tell if it's a bunch of seasoned professionals that have respectable opinions based on experience, or if it's a bunch of dumb idiot morons that agree with something because it sounds cool.

On a forum, I wouldn't have a clue about who is liking this or that opinion and what kind of people they are. If someone is actually posting and partaking in the discussion with sentences, then that's useful information, and that person can be held accountable for their opinions. A "like" button, anonymous or not, isn't useful at all save for being a gauge of the popularity of something among people who would rather use a "like" button than form sentences.

I wouldn't personally care too much about the amount of "likes" that something has, because I'm an experienced drummer myself and I can judge the usefulness of the information on here pretty easily since I have an intimate knowledge of the subject matter. But a visiting layman or beginner might mistake the number of "likes" that something has for actual useful data.

"hi im new here, what kind of drums should i get?"

"anything mahogany cuz thats just the best sound and power toms r cool to"

Then some poor 10-year-old gets some dirty 90s entry-level lauan garbage heap because some forum-guest mom saw that that comment had the most likes and the craigslist ad said "phillipine mahogany". Meanwhile, everyone else is too busy clicking buttons and trying to farm likes with witty one-liner comebacks, and long-winded professions about tonewoods and shells are passé and just too much work.

A like button has its time and place, and it's not here. I don't want the doors of the dinner party to be opened to a gaggle of strangers that never say anything more than "yeah!" or "mhm."

From the FORUM RULES:

At a dinner party, people might be inclined to nod in agreement or say "hear, hear!" or even "I LIKE THAT" after someone is done sharing their opinion. That's cool in real life because I can make a reasonable asessment of those people, because they're right in front of me and can be held accountable for their opinions and I've likely already been conversing with them. I can tell if it's a bunch of seasoned professionals that have respectable opinions based on experience, or if it's a bunch of dumb idiot morons that agree with something because it sounds cool.

On a forum, I wouldn't have a clue about who is liking this or that opinion and what kind of people they are. If someone is actually posting and partaking in the discussion with sentences, then that's useful information, and that person can be held accountable for their opinions. A "like" button, anonymous or not, isn't useful at all save for being a gauge of the popularity of something among people who would rather use a "like" button than form sentences.

I wouldn't personally care too much about the amount of "likes" that something has, because I'm an experienced drummer myself and I can judge the usefulness of the information on here pretty easily since I have an intimate knowledge of the subject matter. But a visiting layman or beginner might mistake the number of "likes" that something has for actual useful data.

"hi im new here, what kind of drums should i get?"

"anything mahogany cuz thats just the best sound and power toms r cool to"

Then some poor 10-year-old gets some dirty 90s entry-level lauan garbage heap because some forum-guest mom saw that that comment had the most likes and the craigslist ad said "phillipine mahogany". Meanwhile, everyone else is too busy clicking buttons and trying to farm likes with witty one-liner comebacks, and long-winded professions about tonewoods and shells are passé and just too much work.

A like button has its time and place, and it's not here. I don't want the doors of the dinner party to be opened to a gaggle of strangers that never say anything more than "yeah!" or "mhm."

Hear, hear! Yeah! Mhm.

I don't want the doors of the dinner party to be opened to a gaggle of strangers that never say anything more than "yeah!" or "mhm."
Great post! Can we have a passé button please :)

Duncan, this has been bugging me for a while. If we had a dislike button, I would target your avatar every visit. WTH is that thing? - it disturbs me :(

I am considering ordination.

... or coordination.

This avatar goes so well with your username...

FSM-black.gif

... perfect coordination :)

Back