About these 13" snare drums...

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think it's time for another Bo-epiphany. There's something about this 13" snare drum I just got. I'm wondering if those of you who own 13" snares along with 14" snares are noticing the same thing.

My maple 13" Artwood snare seems to come alive when I play it. The head being smaller, doesn't have to be tensioned so much to get to the upper register, and therefore feels more forgiving when I play it. It's plenty loud, so I'm not concerned about the volume I get, it just feels much different when compared to my 14".

This is the first time I've owned a 13" snare and I'm feeling a little dumb for not having tried one until now. Being a 6.5x13, it feels really throaty too, like I can feel the fundamental note it's producing, which is high enough, but the tension is looser, giving in to the stick more on the backbeat. Consequently, when I play my 14" (of course, it's a 5x14 brass, and very different), to be in the same range tone, the tension is a bit higher, so the head feels more like a tabletop. To get that nice semi-mushy backbeat feeling, I'd have to loosen the head down to a tone I don't like (it's too low) - which wreaks havoc when I go to play pretty buzz roll passages and rudiments.

I'm not saying I'm hating my 14" snare, I just didn't think they'd be this different. I'm tempted to try a 13" snare in the same size but made of a metal to see if this theory holds true on that. But the 13" is really easy to tension and get to the tone I want, and it even feels better under my hands. It's the 1980s Weckl theory of using small toms tuned down all over again, but in this case, it's really applicable to everything because it's applied to snare drums.

And of course, there's the size factor. Being a smaller player, that one-inch-less diameter of the drum really makes it easy on the leg spread to the pedals. And somebody told me the cross stick sound is a bit weaker but I haven't experienced that when I cross stick. Anybody out there experiencing the same thing when comparing their 13s to their 14s? Or am I just crazy?

Well Bo,

I really dig the upper range crack I get from a 13 and still have that warm punch. I recorded a 13 on our second release with Testify and really liked how that came through on the final mix. The size is much easier to deal with and since I'm not using brushes; the lack of head space is a non-issue. I too don't have any negative comments to add about cross sticking; it still has a nice sweet spot. I know many do not like 2ply heads on their snare drums but I've gotta tell you. I put a Evans HD (not HD Dry) and that head feels like a rubber pad; the stick just bounces off and has a excellent rebound to it. My main gig snare currently is the 6.5X13 Musashi with die cast hoops. I have been so amazed at the range in which I can use this size of snare drum that I decided to go custom. This is my 4th 13 and will be played as much as humanly possible. Got this photo from Cooper today, shell is getting split this week, here are the specs:

Acoutin Custom

6.5x13 100yr old growth Koa with copper center

Canopus rims, strainer and tension rods
Dunnett R4 throw
Acoutin lugs

Attachments

• 1339534769489.jpg
    1339534769489.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 849
Well Bo,

I really dig the upper range crack I get from a 13 and still have that warm punch. I recorded a 13 on our second release with Testify and really liked how that came through on the final mix. The size is much easier to deal with and since I'm not using brushes; the lack of head space is a non-issue. I too don't have any negative comments to add about cross sticking; it still has a nice sweet spot. I know many do not like 2ply heads on their snare drums but I've gotta tell you. I put a Evans HD (not HD Dry) and that head feels like a rubber pad; the stick just bounces off and has a excellent rebound to it. My main gig snare currently is the 6.5X13 Musashi with die cast hoops. I have been so amazed at the range in which I can use this size of snare drum that I decided to go custom. This is my 4th 13 and will be played as much as humanly possible. Got this photo from Cooper today, shell is getting split this week, here are the specs:

Acoutin Custom

6.5x13 100yr old growth Koa with copper center

Canopus rims, strainer and tension rods
Dunnett R4 throw
Acoutin lugs

That looks like it's going to be a beautiful drum. Can't wait to see the end product. Better yet, you'll have to let me borrow it so I can check it out ;) Love that guys' snares. I couldn't stop playing them at the NAMM show.

I think I'm going to explore this 13" option a bit more. I do want to get a metal shelled 13 in the same size and if I experience the same thing, it'll be a Eureka moment. Right now my 13" Artwood is sounding so much better than my 14" Copeland. It just seems more flexible when you need different tones - it gives it alot quicker.

That looks like it's going to be a beautiful drum. Can't wait to see the end product. Better yet, you'll have to let me borrow it so I can check it out ;) Love that guys' snares. I couldn't stop playing them at the NAMM show.

I think I'm going to explore this 13" option a bit more. I do want to get a metal shelled 13 in the same size and if I experience the same thing, it'll be a Eureka moment. Right now my 13" Artwood is sounding so much better than my 14" Copeland. It just seems more flexible when you need different tones - it gives it alot quicker.

Brother, my vault is your vault any time. If you find yourself out in these parts on a gig, just hit me up. Told you, you got the 13" bug now. lol

OK. I feel like I'm out of control! I just pulled the trigger on one of those new Tama SLP 6.5x13 Sonic Steel snares. Just ordered it from Greenbriar Music and should see it by next Wednesday. I'm excited to see if I get the same response with a metal drum compared to my wooden one of the same size. I may try a die cast hoop on the top just to see if that makes a huge difference too.

I'm just so impressed with how easy it is to pull the sound out of this size snare. I could easily do it on a 14 too, but I feel like I'm working a little harder now when I do an A/B comparison. I'll keep everyone posted with what I find!

Yup, I'm missing a 13" snare right now. I love 'em, for the very reasons you describe. It's a hole soon to be plugged :)

Do you think you get better response from stave construction as opposed to ply sheet construction? I would think the bigger the drum, the more it might like stave-barrel construction, but as you get smaller, I'm thinking maybe it doesn't matter? I'm sure you've discussed at length the sonic differences of stave and ply construction methods, and I wasn't listening at the time....

13" snares with a depth of more than 6" are the absolute bomb. I'm currently playing a 13 x 7 Black Magic, and the backbeat is exactly as you've described - you can really dig in and feel it happen, without the head being absurdly tight! On the other hand, if you want it to be absurdly tight, it WILL crack like a gun.

Plus, 13"ers seem to require a totally different level of finesse in that their dynamic range seems to be slightly wider than a 14" (although this is based on my experience alone). They're just hugely fun to play.

Plus, you can still use brushes on them, and the challenge is fun!

Do you think you get better response from stave construction as opposed to ply sheet construction? I would think the bigger the drum, the more it might like stave-barrel construction, but as you get smaller, I'm thinking maybe it doesn't matter? I'm sure you've discussed at length the sonic differences of stave and ply construction methods, and I wasn't listening at the time....
Do I detect a slight note of mild mockery Bo? :)

Holy crap that is going to be one gorgeous and heavy snare!!! I want to hear that thing if possible.

(and man has Bo fallen off the wagon :)

I have 2 , 13 x7 " snares. A Sonor Birch and a Ludwig Black Magic brass. Both are great drums. The Sonor seems to sound better when cranked up tight, great pop with still lots of bottom end.
The Black Magic is a great drum. Sounds fantastic turned low or high. I usually crank it pretty tight for a gig I do in Hip-Hop. Just amazing sound. It still has lots of balls when cranked up.
They both sound great for rock or pop , but I use 14 " drums for Country or Blues.
I only use single ply heads...coated.Ambassadors.
You should really check out the Ludwig Black Magic line in brass...I think you would dig them.

There is no cure for GAS, Matt. Just denial.

I have the 13x7 black magic as well and it has a great feel and sound to it. When I first got it I thought I was going to sell off all my 14" snares lol....that's how much I liked it at first but went back to a 14" BB after a couple of weeks and still love the 14" snares. In all seriousness, I would not get rid of my 13" snare. I still love it and it's nice to mix it up from time to time with a 13" snare.

I have my eye on that tama SLP g maple 13" snare ;-)

Do I detect a slight note of mild mockery Bo? :)

No mockery here, really. I was honestly thinking in terms of these huge staves making up something small and not resonating as well. Of course my experience with stave drums is close to nil, so I can honestly say I don't know what I'm talking about. As for my gear acquisition syndrome, Al, I make no excuses. I must admit that after playing only 14 inch snares for 35+ years that this is probably the best realization I ever made ;)

A Bopiphany. Yes, I feel the same way you do-- I like to tune my SD pretty loose for that fat sound, but the 14's go a little too low for me in that tuning.

Ah! So it's not just me! I feel even better about it. Yeah, you tune it down but it's still high pitched enough but feels great under the hands. Makes you wonder why 14" ended up being the defacto standard for almost a century....

No mockery here, really. I was honestly thinking in terms of these huge staves making up something small and not resonating as well. Of course my experience with stave drums is close to nil, so I can honestly say I don't know what I'm talking about.
Ah, ok then. It was your "wasn't really listening" bit that I picked up on :)

As for the "stave affect" on smaller drums, it's even more pronounced than on larger drums. Essentially a lot more fundamental tone per square inch of shell compared to ply. A ton of caveats of course, but the benefit is certainly there.

Joe Morris's snare was a good case in point. Not only is it 13", it's also a piccolo, so not much shell area to make a difference you would think. Well, ask Joe if it makes a difference. He has 30+ snare drums, & couldn't believe the difference when he fired that baby up. The engineers all noticed the difference too, big time.

Personally, I think a 13" wood snare works best when fairly deep. 6" or more being optimum. I've even experimented with an 8" deep 13" mahogany stave, & that was deep poplicious!

Here's me messing around to get a level before sample recording (please excuse the playing). This is a 13" x 7" thin walnut stave, tuned quite high. Recorded on my Q3 (unprocessed) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3eoOweyRIk

The mp3 file (below his photo) is of Joe's 13" x 4" bubinga stave with maple highlights. Totally unprocessed. & here's a picture of his snare (apologies, slight promo whoring)

Attachments

• 01 KICK THE CAN.mp3
    6.3 MB · Views: 139
  • Joe Morris.jpg
    Joe Morris.jpg
    930.3 KB · Views: 763
It's the 1980s Weckl theory of using small toms tuned down all over again...

Hey, I remember that! Seems that at the time, many folks were also playing a lot of "Wecklish" triplets divided up between the hands and kick drum...some of us, maybe a little too much and a little too often, now that I think about it (I plead guilty, your honor ;-).

Anyway, yes, I've long kept 13" snares in the stable for exactly the applications and reasons you mentioned. I dig the feel and, to me, they seem to occupy a sonic space that works especially well in some contexts.

spleen

OK. I feel like I'm out of control! I just pulled the trigger on one of those new Tama SLP 6.5x13 Sonic Steel snares. Just ordered it from Greenbriar Music and should see it by next Wednesday. I'm excited to see if I get the same response with a metal drum compared to my wooden one of the same size. I may try a die cast hoop on the top just to see if that makes a huge difference too.

I'm just so impressed with how easy it is to pull the sound out of this size snare. I could easily do it on a 14 too, but I feel like I'm working a little harder now when I do an A/B comparison. I'll keep everyone posted with what I find!

Instead of die-cast, try an S-Hoop. It has the rigidity of a die-cast and rimshots don't kill your hands (plus the rimshot and cross-sticks really crack). Best $20 I ever spent.

Back