Great car for a drummer

digibird

I had a 1994 Toyota pick-up for 20 years and recently totaled it (no injuries, thankfully). That little truck was excellent for gigs and moving all drums and amps/PA, etc. There really are no inexpensive pick-ups to be found new anymore, so I started to look elsewhere.

I ended up buying a 2015 Toyota Corolla L 6-speed manual. This car is perfect for transporting drums - I just love it. The back seat and trunk are huge for a car of its size. I can easily fit a 16x26 Ludwig Classic Maple bass drum in a Humes & Berg Tuxedo bag in the back seat and still have a passenger sit comfortably in the front. I can get everything I ever carried in my pick-up in this Corolla! Huge Bonham kit with all hardware & cymbals, no problem. And, the back seats fold down and use a pass-thru in the trunk if you need that option.

Just wanted to share this great find with you guys if you happen to be in the market for a relatively inexpensive new car that can carry a ton o' drums.

Lots of love for the Coralla + drums here. I have a 1993 Corolla and you're right, the boot space is generous. Such reliable cars and they run nice and smooth.

i played with a guy about 12 years ago.
he packed his drums in this

14600322_1X.JPG

My chevy equinox works great for my 6 piece kit. I also pack in a drum mixer. And my wife gets the front passenger seat without any constriction.

I went from the Towm & Country to the Scion XB. Great affordable car with plenty of room.

My trusty XB The Toaster

Attachments

• toaster.jpg
    toaster.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2,449
Last edited:
2014 6 Speed Mazda 3 Hatch 39.3 MPG Fits my 6 piece kit and passenger seat is open.Great car

I live in central Washington state, so I own a Subaru Outback. It's actually my second one, my first one got totaled when I hit a moose. (Seriously.) As you might expect, it can swallow an awful lot of gear without impinging on comfort for two or even three folks. And it's all-weather capable, very comfy, and reasonable on fuel (about 28 mpg overall).

The BMW 5 series cars have tons of room. I have an '84 528e, and a '92 525i. Bass drums, as long as they're not 18" deep, fit through the back doors. Trunks have tons of room.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 2,367
I love my Honda Pilot, the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and it's ten years old. When it comes time to replace it I may go with a Subaru Forester. Not as big but plenty of room on the inside.

This is the most embarrassing thing I've ever said to anyone, but I have a weird, messed-up fascination with the most loathed car of the 21st century, the Pontiac Aztek. Evidently they are super-functional, and super spacious. Could be a great band vehicle, if everyone in the group is blind.

plus it has a built-in cooler, so you really don't need everyone in the group to be blind. :) :)

I can get a 18x23 DW collectors bass drum in my back seat (in a soft case). Not that I ever use the damn thing, but once in a while it gets dragged out. Top limit of the trunk is an SKB 14" (tall) Roto case. Wish the 16 fit, but no go.

I had a 1994 Toyota pick-up for 20 years and recently totaled it (no injuries, thankfully). That little truck was excellent for gigs and moving all drums and amps/PA, etc. There really are no inexpensive pick-ups to be found new anymore, so I started to look elsewhere.

I ended up buying a 2015 Toyota Corolla L 6-speed manual. This car is perfect for transporting drums - I just love it. The back seat and trunk are huge for a car of its size. I can easily fit a 16x26 Ludwig Classic Maple bass drum in a Humes & Berg Tuxedo bag in the back seat and still have a passenger sit comfortably in the front. I can get everything I ever carried in my pick-up in this Corolla! Huge Bonham kit with all hardware & cymbals, no problem. And, the back seats fold down and use a pass-thru in the trunk if you need that option.

Just wanted to share this great find with you guys if you happen to be in the market for a relatively inexpensive new car that can carry a ton o' drums.

Glad you are OK man.

I also have a 1994 Toyota extended cab 4x4. I love that thing. Even as a young kid, I always loved the way Toyotas looked and performed. I need to get a new canopy on it to make it useful again though. Living in the Evergreen State of Washington sort of necessitates that you have some all weather options.

If I had to start new, or if I was in your position of having to replace it, I might simply look at getting another, used Toyota pickup or maybe 4Runner. The gas they eat might be more of a turnoff these days.

In that case I would probably go with some sort of Subaru. Subarus often out perform 4x4 trucks and SUVs. They are perfect for Washington's wet weather. The practical side of my might go with an Outback, but the impulsive side would see if I could cram my Ludwig Bonham sized kit into a zippy WRX. I would bring my drums, cymbal bag and hardware case to the dealership for sure though. That would be a pain to have a car that couldn't accommodate your drums. I need to stop watching rally car racing on youtube. It makes my want one of those things.

I am glad to hear this. My '96 Nissan pickup is getting tired, I've got 26" kick and I have been looking for an affordable option.

Almost all cars have space for a reasonable amount of drums.

You run into a snag though with a motorcycle. LOL

Back