ID THIS PEARL VINTAGE KIT

The 12" tom doesn't match the kick and floor tom.

The bass drum only has 6 lugs per side, which indicates it's a student model.

It does look "old" but I wouldn't call it "vintage." It's nothing special.

The 12'' Tom looks to be the same shell as the rest of the kit, as it has identical lugs, but has either been wrapped or was a replacement for another shell that was most likely damaged.

I agree with DED on this, not exactly vintage, but is indeed old.

AD

Hey guys. I need your help. I have made a commitment to buy what appears to be an 80-83 pearl maple shell kit. I don't have much info on it at all. A church is selling it to me on Thursday and although the gentleman selling it is a drummer he can not identify the model of the kit due to it's age and condition. I am picking it up at a reasonable price I think from what the pictures show. It is definitely a project kit, but for $150 I can't help but buy it. Please lend me your expertise and tell me what I have here. The only thing I could find on the web about it is info on the tags which place the mfg date in between 80-83.

Attachments

• 2dd0fb8c.jpg
    2dd0fb8c.jpg
    828.8 KB · Views: 279
  • 5c9b61af.jpg
    5c9b61af.jpg
    805.8 KB · Views: 272
  • c64c7aad.jpg
    c64c7aad.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 269
  • 45469b67.jpg
    45469b67.jpg
    598 KB · Views: 266
  • e1e017ed.jpg
    e1e017ed.jpg
    614.1 KB · Views: 276
  • 18779bba.jpg
    18779bba.jpg
    705.8 KB · Views: 274
  • 6eb3c149.jpg
    6eb3c149.jpg
    750.2 KB · Views: 264
  • 71affa71.jpg
    71affa71.jpg
    716.2 KB · Views: 253
P.S. I am fairly new to this forum so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place, I couldn't figure out how to start a new thread.

For $150, that's a great price. That'll make a nice beater/player kit. I'd re-finish/re-wrap those. And then, play the heck out of 'em.​

Hey guys. I need your help. I have made a commitment to buy what appears to be an 80-83 pearl maple shell kit. I don't have much info on it at all. A church is selling it to me on Thursday and although the gentleman selling it is a drummer he can not identify the model of the kit due to it's age and condition. I am picking it up at a reasonable price I think from what the pictures show. It is definitely a project kit, but for $150 I can't help but buy it. Please lend me your expertise and tell me what I have here. The only thing I could find on the web about it is info on the tags which place the mfg date in between 80-83.

Yeah, look like an early 80's MLX. Essentially, their top of the line at the time.

For $150 that's a steal.

I can't say I have ever seen that finish before. But some work, it would be a great pro kit for not much money.

Out of sheer curiosity, is that hole between the badge and the tom mount for an internal mic?

Looks like a vent hole without a grommet. You could use I guess for a mic cable. Most the internal mic systems for bass' that I've seen come with some sort of finishing grommet so you can make the wire look like its suppose to be there. I've also seen others bring the cable out the resonant head through a little hole

Thanks for the assessment. I haven't been able to verify that the wrap is correct, but that won't matter anyhow cause it will be taken off. Someone else on here mentioned using Krylon glitter spray paint on a project. I think I will give that a go on this.

The wrap is not correct, you can see that around the badge is cut out in such a messy fashion that there is no way that it was a factory job, you also see the black lacquer underneath the "marble" wrap in the area around the badge. I'd say take the wrap off and get them refinished, or refinish them your self, there are many ways to rewrap your kit for almost no money.

Back