cymbal finish after leaving rubber mutes on after a month...

v.zarate

Gold Member
as the the title says...

i was playing with rubber cymbal muters a few months back. after playing i would just leave them on, never realized that after a month or two, they would kill the brilliant finish on the xs20s. stupid me!... now... how would i go about as to removing this stuff? ...never using muters again!

20140107_234150_zpsd8785c9f.jpg

20140107_234126_zpsa93b1856.jpg

lemons and sabian spray cleaner dont work.

should i just bust out the mothers mag/aluminum polish?

20140107_234003_zpsedc4915d.jpg

20140107_234024_zpsbb7d403e.jpg

Last edited:
I would try Paiste cleaner and some elbow grease. I've never had any experience with this problem but paiste cleaner is far superior to the the others in my opinion.

Cymbals don't rust, as they have no iron content.

Try using some toothpaste if all else fails. Don't know why, but toothpaste is a bad ass stain remover on metals. Just don't get it on your logos, it will remove them.

Hate to give bad news, but I'm afraid the damage is done.
If you figure out how to successfully restore that finish please share how you did it.

Hate to give bad news, but I'm afraid the damage is done.
If you figure out how to successfully restore that finish please share how you did it.

was never able to get them out with toothpaste, metal polish, rubbing compound, or lemons.

sorry for the late reply robthetimekeeper

I have hi hat cymbal that's permanently stained from that. The things I tried lightened it up significantly, but you can still see it.

Back