Asking the Community for help with my Next Kit

big_wes

Hey everyone

So i've been playing my Pearl EXR kit now for years and it still looks like i bought it yesterday, and i don't plan to stop playing it. I hope to keep playing it until i run it into the ground or i pass it down to my son. But lately i've been thinking of purchasing a new kit.

Below are some of the kits i've looked at and played shortly but im just asking for some overall opinions on each of the kits and possibly a comparison. Now i understand some of these kits aren't in the same price range but that really shouldn't matter. so anyway, here are the kits.

i should also mention that all of these kits would have a 4 piece config. 1 Mounted tom, floor tom, bass, and snare..... i haven't picked final sizes yet either.

#1: Pearl Reference - owned pearl forever, love the quality, and i think the hardware is just exceptional as hell

#2: Ludwig Centennials - always been intrigued by ludwig but i've heard some bad things about the hardware.

#3: Ludwig Classic Maples - same as above

#4: Yamaha Oak Custom: Seen some great looking setups of these lately and i've gotta say they look pretty sweet

#5: Yamaha Birch Custom: same as above

Let me know what you guys think and im open to any other suggestions (Except DW lol)
and again, i have played most of these kits a little so it's not like im just doing this blind
thanks guys

You have done your homework by trying different kits and narrowing your search.
You have also chosen kits by features that you like. Not by price alone!

You have done well!
All of the kits that you have chosen are winners.
I think that the birch Yamies are the best way to go.
They are a sure bet for quality and great sound.
They have a great resale. (Not that you would want to)

The Pearl would be my second choice.

Last edited:
#1: Pearl Reference - owned pearl forever, love the quality, and i think the hardware is just exceptional as hell.

Great all around drums. Very high quality build. The kit I demoed sounded very punchy and focused.

#2: Ludwig Centennials - always been intrigued by ludwig but i've heard some bad things about the hardware.

Demoed it. Found it very responsive and definitely thought it would benefit from particular head combinations. Stock heads were kinda meh. Don't know about hardware, but nothing sent up red flags.

#3: Ludwig Classic Maples - same as above

These are great drums. No obvious flaws in construction. The toms always sound great.

#4: Yamaha Oak Custom: Seen some great looking setups of these lately and i've gotta say they look pretty sweet

Very attack-oriented in terms of sound. Not warm, but cut through exceptionally. Thought they felt heavy and very loud.

#5: Yamaha Birch Custom: same as above

Great all-purpose drum. Kind of an update of the Recording Customs. Very focused sound, easy to tune, awesome finishes, the best hardware in the industry, imho. This is my vote.

I definitely would go for #3. The Classic Maples are one of the best buys out there- great sound, great build quality, great price!

Price not being an issue: the References are unreal.

Back to reality: the Birch customs will definitely give you the most for your dollar. That's my choice. (hell, even the Stage Customs are amazing sounding drums)

What about ludwig epic x over? they look stunning but i dont know much about them
I got to try a set out and they were great, nice looking, sound excellent, and quality was great. The Epic Standards are nice drums too, give em a try.

Played some Birch Customs in GC and they sounded amazing even without me attempting to tune them. For some reason I have this love of Classic Maples even though I've never played them or for that matter heard them. So the Birch Customs are my pick.

No question: Pearl Reference.

I owned one and it was fantastic. I sold it to pay for my Classic Maples. Now I have to go and order another Reference kit. Lesson learned.

Quality is outstanding...everything about them screams perfection.

Hardware is exceptional and IMO, no one does better.

They sound incredible.

Lifetime Warranty!

No question: Pearl Reference.

I owned one and it was fantastic. I sold it to pay for my Classic Maples. Now I have to go and order another Reference kit. Lesson learned.

Quality is outstanding...everything about them screams perfection.

Hardware is exceptional and IMO, no one does better.

They sound incredible.

Lifetime Warranty!

Yeah i know what you mean... i own a pearl kit now and the hardware is the most solid thing i've ever seen or used lol

im a ludwig sucker, so i say go for the classic maples if you want them down to your specs. but the epic x over is a good buy too, and you'll have left over money for cymbals, hardware, etc. if needed.

man i would love to be in your situation

I love the look of the ludwig stuff but im put off by the hardware, if it means getting a ludwig set and buying all pearl hardware then that's probably going to have to be an option

I love the look of the ludwig stuff but im put off by the hardware, if it means getting a ludwig set and buying all pearl hardware then that's probably going to have to be an option

The hardware is not the only problem these guys have. ;) I love the sound of Classic Maples, too...but I liked the Reference better, in retrospect. I don't want to start a Ludwig-bashing thread but you can look back through my posts & threads and find some interesting information.

Back