Practice routine while on vacation?

Hewitt2

Greetings fellow drumsters,

Just curious what some of you guys/gals do to practice and keep your chops up while away from the kit. I will be traveling for the next few weeks and am hoping to carve out at least 30-40 minutes a night to go over a few things.

Some potential approaches I thought of:

- Stick control or stone killers on the pillow or practice pad or with feet on the ground

- Building charts or transcribing solos

- Air drumming along to songs

- Careful listening

- Some/none of the above?

I'm travelling right now.

Stick control, tommy igoes great hands warm ups, some hill Bachman stuff I learned recently and some Virgil Donati wrist stuff.

I stop when it gets too boring and I lose concentration.

I brought my double kick but I've only gotten it out twice so far. Not worth lugging around!

Drop into a drum store and pretend you're trying out kits. E kits are the best since you won't annoy staff. Buy something small like a DVD if you feel guilty afterwards.

To be honest, when I go on vacation, I go on vacation. I don't obsess over my drums. Sometimes you just need a mental break.

Now if I was going to be away for a month or more, then I'd bring some sticks and a practice pad but that's about it.

Yeah I'd just bring a couple of sticks. Enjoy yourself while out there and don't feel the need to practise as it were just if the mood hits

Thanks guys - agreed that the focus while being on vacation is to be on vacation. If I have some spare time later at night when the wife's asleep and I don't have much to do, I figured I'd get out the sticks and work on a few things.

I liked Dre's quite original suggestion to hit the music stores and get some kit time in there. Not sure if there will be full fledged music stores where I'm going. If there are, I can't imagination my wife being a big fan of watching me work paradiddle-diddles or snare comping!

I was just recently away for 3 weeks due to travel and am heading into another 2 week stretch doing even more.

I bring nothing at all other than the songs I want to listen to on a player. The time away does me good. And... the Times I'm away with my family and not for work, all I want is to be with my family.h

Practice your rudiments; you just need sticks and a magazine (no need for a practice pad if you want to travel light). There are lots of rudiments on line.

Or, brushes and a piece of cardboard.

GJS

Back