Mapex VS. DDrum

nerdy

So, I know there are a lot of these threads here, but heres another. Looking to upgrade to a new kit this X-mas, and was looking at the Mapex Pro-M and the DDrum dominion player.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ddrum-Dominion-Player-5Piece-Maple-Drum-Kit?sku=443608

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...with-Free-Black-Panther-Snare-Drum?sku=490318

Some plus' for the Mapex are that it has the free black panther, which is very nice. However, the tom mounts just look kind of week to me, since they only rely on two lugs for support.

I do like the die-cast hoops on the DDrum, and the virgin bass, but have heard of some quality issues from DDrum.

Please, owners of these kits lend some of your knowledge to me.

Thanks!

take the mapex kit my friend.

im not telling you this just because i have one. im teling you because i had the same problem when i was looking for my christmas kit just a few days ago.

i was comparing a ddrum dominion and a mapex qr series kit.
and long story short, i tryed out both the kits instore, and the mapex qr blew it away. the ddrum osunded so cheap compared to the mapex.

plus, a pro-m kit is a step or two up from the qr series, and if the qr sounds better, then the pro-m should be alot better...right?but then again, your ears are alot different to mine.

Now, Im a big fan of Ddrum. If you got the Ddrum though, get rid of the stocks heads. They're both very nice kits, but i'de take that Ddrum if I were you.

I like Mapex drums a whole lot...but in this case I would go for the Ddrums. The Ddrums look to me much more professional than the Pro M's.

DDRUM:
Better sound
Ideal sizes of kits

Mapex:
Easier to custom build kits
Better hardware

I have tried both these kits and my advice to you would be the following...buy the Mapex Pro-M and then get a DDrum Dominion snare to replace the Mapex 14" one (keep the Black Panther).

The Mapex Pro-M's have a great sound and look fantastic in my opinion and as spartacus says - there are lots of add on drums around and the quality of their hardware (even on their low budget kits) is fantastic. I wasn't so keen on the Pro-M 14" x 5.5" snare that it comes with - I've tried many different heads but with my DDrum 13 x 7 Dominion snare it sounded perfect out of the box (with a little tuning).

The DDrum snare looks and sounds fantastic and I think it compliments the rest of my kit nicely. I would say go for the Mapex Pro-M as a main kit and then replace the snare later on if you don't like the one it comes with. I always have loved mapex and I don't believe that Mapex toms and kicks drums sound worse than DDrum which I've also played.

Its your money and totally up to you - plus I'm sure a hardcore DDrum fan will tell me 100 reasons why I'm wrong :p Go with what you want! Heres a pic of my Pro-M with DDrum snare though!

1001578px4.jpg

Cheers bud,

Ant :)

Edit: Oh and don't worry about the mapex tom mounts - they are as hard as nails. I do a fair bit of carting my kit about and I havent had any problems with any mapex hardware - especially the tom mounts. They are versitile but indestructible!

I just played a Ddrum and Mapex today, and boy I was impressed. It was an 8 piece Ddrum dominion maple, blue fade to black. It sounded beyond words. The Mapex sounded great,too. but the Ddrum blew it out of the water. Put some new heads on those babies and you can get them to do whatever you want. Also, it's consitterably cheaper.

I haven't tried the Ddrums - but ...

I have Pro Ms and love 'em. I think they look VERY professional - in fact I've gotten several compliments from other drummers who've tried 'em out when sitting in at my gigs. I changed the heads right away - as I would with almost any kit. Now have Aquarian Texture Coated on snare and toms, Evans EQs on bass.

The tom mounts are totally solid - I've never seen 'em move while playing. And do you really want die-cast hoops??

Look, if you choose the DDrums I'm sure they'll be great, but don't worry about ANY issues on the Pro Ms.

I'm a proud owner of a Mapex M Birch kit for over a year now and I could not be happier. I don't know much about ddrum but they do make good looking kits. As far as the Mapex hardware and mounts....no problem they are very sturdy. If you can, play both kits and go with what you like. I had no intention of buying Mapex but in the end it was the kit that sounded best to me. Good luck!

The thing about DDrum is that they don't make "the best" hardware, that's why most/all of their sets have floating toms. The only thing you have to worry about with Ddrum, is their stands and pedals you get when you get the set (if you do). Tom stands don't cost much, and im guessing you already have a pedal? Anyway, good luck.

I have owned a Mapex kit way over priced for what you get and money spent onheads to get a deep warm sound forget it. I have a ddrum Diatribe kit now 6 piece great hardware no better or worse then the other leading kits great warm sound popped a set of evens heads on the toms great sound for giging and studio work.Well finnished shells and built for hard work i should know i give them a hard time.As for Tama being the strongest name in drums i have owned 3 kits from new and had bad problems with hardware including a double brased stand snapping a leg

How can you say the Mapex kits are way overpriced? Unless you live in Greenland, you should find the Mapex's to be better value than just about ANY other kit of similar quality!

AAAAAAAhhh.....go with Sonor and forget it! Just kidding. I'm actually waiting on a set of ddrum diatribes I just ordered for a practice kit. Birch/basswood shells. Haven't owned a birch set before and am pretty excited about tryin' them out! I like the look of both Mapex and ddrum sets but it's up to you. Be sure to compare shells and wood material as well as plies. ProM is all maple if I'm not mistaken and the hardware is top notch from my experience. I remember watching a Billy Cobham clinic and he was playing Mapex. At the time, Mapex was regarded as a cheap industry set and he made them sound incredible. Completely changed everyones mind about the quality of Mapex. Have fun with the new tubs no matter what you choose!

look at the mapex m birch series with its free 8'' or 10'' rack tom that comes on the market at £400-£500. A ddrum 6 piece kit would come on the market at a higher price but wouldn't neccesarily be a better kit.

the mapex will be more versatile, you have the option of making the bass drum virgin. and you get the bonus snare, better colour choices, better hardware, including a better pedal. as for sound, its all personal(i prefer the deeper sizes of the mapex)

and if you wanted to expand to maybe a double bass kit, it is very easy on a mapex.

the mapex will be more versatile, you have the option of making the bass drum virgin. and you get the bonus snare, better colour choices, better hardware, including a better pedal. as for sound, its all personal(i prefer the deeper sizes of the mapex)

and if you wanted to expand to maybe a double bass kit, it is very easy on a mapex.

Same with ddrum. Ddrum's bass drums (even on their low end kits) have virgin basses. And their toms on almost every kit (exept D2) have non-drilled toms. They may have less color options, but what they offer isn't bad at all. And ddrum makes alot of sizes, so if you want shallow or deep toms you get what you want. The hardware shouldn't matter, because you can get some decent hardware from like PDP for about $40.

And with ddrum, a double bass kit, or any type of expansion, is just as easy. And cheaper, too.

I can only speak from my experience, which is Mapex. I chose Mapex based upon the options, durability, and sound. I'm not disappointed in any way. They are very well constructed, and the finish is flawless. The bass drum hoops even have a bit of flame to them! The Mapex hardware is really durable, but I believe that most hardware is overbuilt these days. I personally would not consider hardware in the decision, unless Ddrum hardware is inflexible or poorly made (which I doubt). When was the last time you broke a cymbal stand? Either way, I'm sure both companies make quality drums.

I vote mapex. Ddrum has about the worst customer service, the lugs I see crack all the time, the bearing edges look like a blind 2 yr old cut them with stake knife, and special orders take forever! Not to mention the finishes look cheap, the throw offs fail, and the heads are the worst I have seen on any kit. Mapex has better service, the hardware is much nicer, the kits are just better made. I have had in my shop at least one of every line ddrum kits in my shop and none of them impressed me. Even my friends who have ddrum endorsments complain about their kits, and/or the service.

So all of the Ddrum fans on this post are completely wrong, or are they devoid of the ability to judge quality drums? I can't imagine Ddrums being as bad as you say, especially when there are people raving about them. I'm a Mapex fan, but I've heard that cracked lugs are a big issue with them as well.

I've been playing a Ddrum Diatribe kit for a few months now, the only thing that sXeDanimalsXe indicates that I agree with is that the stock heads suck but most kits come with bad stock heads anyway, it's a given. I play the kit hard and I play often and I've had no issues with lugs or bearing edges. I bought the kit after trying a Diatribe that my friend owns, he's happy with his, I'm happy with mine. Great drum set.

Back