Ohh, that Ring!!! That Beautiful Ring

mikei

Gold Member
Well,

My new LB417 14 x 6.5 Ludwig BLACK FRIGGIN BEAUTY is HERE AT LAST.

Absolutely beautiful drum.

Sounded great with stock heads and it was tuned pretty decent.

However, I immediately switched the batter with a new Remo Control Sound head. Also added a 42 wire snare. I am hooked on how crisp these snare wires make a snare sound.

Tuned it numerous ways. All the way from FAT as can be, to extremely tight and everything in between.

The drum reminds me of my old Supra (not the sound) in the sense that it simply cannot be tune bad. Every way sounded great.

But, the RING on this drum is something special. I usually like a rather dry snare drum, but the ring that comes from this drum is truly spectacular. Definitely not like anything I have experienced before. I have no muffling and the drum sings away!

Here are pics, that of course do not do the snare justice.

Sounds great with my massive kit, too.

Mike

Attachments

• BB1.jpg
    BB1.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 749
  • BB2.jpg
    BB2.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 754
  • BB4.jpg
    BB4.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 748
  • BBk1.jpg
    BBk1.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 752
Awwww yeah! Congrats Mikey - this is the best snare on earth!

Don't sweat the ring - you can tune it down to sound oh-so-sweet and blend perfectly - it's just going to take some work. I had the hardest time finding my sweet-spot on my BB but once I found it...oh lordy!

Tune the bottom head very tight...say 5-6 revolutions per-lug. Tune the top head 3.5-4 and keep the snares loose and buzzy. If the batter head sounds choked, tune down little by little until the note cracks like a lightening bolt.

Ok now I'm jalous. I've been wanting one since before I was even born.
I tried to trade one of these with one mine without any success.

I would say everyone that is serious about drumming should at least own one of these in their snare collection.

Congrats, that is a very nice buy.

Very nice
not%20worthy.gif

So whats next? inquiring minds want to know

Looks fantastic!

I'm happy you finally got one.
You know you can never sell this drum though.
Looks great on the kit too.

A real tight bottom head on this drum works really great too.

Some drums don't like that very much, but the BB will work with pretty much any tuning you want, and pretty much any drumhead you want to use as well.

I've had BB's since 89, and I have yet to use a head that sounds bad on it.
My least favorite was a clear Emp. but that's not a 'usual' snare head choice anyway.

Enjoy that beautiful ring!

BTW, nice batter head too ;-)

Well,
My new LB417 14 x 6.5 Ludwig BLACK FRIGGIN BEAUTY is HERE AT LAST.
Absolutely beautiful drum.
Sounded great with stock heads and it was tuned pretty decent.
However, I immediately switched the batter with a new Remo Control Sound head. Also added a 42 wire snare. I am hooked on how crisp these snare wires make a snare sound.

Beautiful.
I'm dribbling.....

You've said how great it sounds..... Interested to know if it's the loudest SD you've played?
Any SD cut through any better than that beauty?

Still dribbling.....

Last edited:
Jesus Christmas that's awesome.

Tell me, what do 42-strand wires do to a snare? Does it make it louder or more "snare-y"? I always preferred more of a "thonk" out of my drums, so maybe 42 is a little much for that kind of sound?

How does is compare to 20 strands?

Ah yeah!

Really nice. Looks cool with those red Battlefields.

Rock on..................

Last edited:
oooohhh! that truely is a beautiful thing!!

droooool!

Jesus Christmas that's awesome.

Tell me, what do 42-strand wires do to a snare? Does it make it louder or more "snare-y"? I always preferred more of a "thonk" out of my drums, so maybe 42 is a little much for that kind of sound?

How does is compare to 20 strands?

The 42s add more CH to the sound. Makes the snare much more sensitive as well. Lowers the volume just a hair. But the CH is what does it for me.

The down side is that the snare buzzes a bit more when you hit other toms or the bass drum. I actually don't mind it and actually like it a bit, but some people hate snare buzz.

Most people I know who have tried a 42, can't play any of their snares without them. Karl Crafton has them on his BB and digs it. Nutha Jason uses them as well.

I love them and will have them on all snares I own.

Mike

Beautiful.
I'm dribbling.....

You've said how great it sounds..... Interested to know if it's the loudest SD you've played?
Any SD cut through any better than that beauty?

Still dribbling.....

Definitely not the loudest I have played or owned.

I am selling my Yamaha 14 x 7 brass. Sucker is heavy and LOUD!!!!

I also owned a DW Edge 14 x 5.5 and forget about it. That was by far the loudest of them all. The snare weighed about 17LBS!!!!! Freakin LOUD.

But, this seems to cut just fine. Yes, louder than your average snare, but not significantly louder in my opinion.

You realize of course you can't play that drum without a MINIMUM 14x26in kick drum to compliment it, RIGHT?? :D

SWEET!!!!

I have what's basically the "student" version of yours:

1cba_1.jpg

And mine sounds great, so I can imagine yours sounds just downright sexy. Nice stuff.

Man those Black Beauties are well, beautiful drums. I love that snare wire, definitely getting a 42 strand on my snare now.

BBs have a serious reputation and a distinct sound. My drum teacher had one when he was touring on the circuit in the 80s and at the sound checks the sound guy would look up from his desk and ask "is that a black beauty?" I hope it opens up your playing to new possibilities.

The new Black Beauty arrived? That does it ...I'm gonna steal from my own 401K fund and get some new drums before it's all gone !

Back